Can't decide - looking for opinions

linvillegorge

I’m in a predicament and I’m not sure what I want to do. Right now, I have a ’97 TJ with a 4 banger and the stock D30/D35. I have a 2†coil spacer lift and trimmed fenders to fit 33x13.50 LTBs. The 4 banger has right at 100k on it. I’m not sure how much she has left in the tank as it’s been ran pretty hard. I’ve always been up to date on the maintenance, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s been ran hard. The good news is that it’s off-road and jolly riding only now, so the mileage should be limited to well under 5k a year now.

In the next few years, the Jeep is going to be a build up in progress. This is where I’m on the fence. I can’t decide if I want to do a v8 swap and go with a 14B/D60 combo or stick with the 4 banger and do a 9â€/D44 combo. Either way, I’d be looking at running 38’s. Engine would be kept close to stock with either.

Pros of the v8 and 14B/D60: Plenty of power. I could go with an auto (which I prefer off-road). Pretty much bullet proof. This is what I really want to do since I was spoiled when I had my sprung-over Chevy 350 powered CJ-7.

Cons of the v8 and 14B/D60: COST!!!

Pros of the 4 banger: A lot less work involved. Much cheaper!

Cons of the 4 banger: Lack of power in the mud, hill climbs, and other situations where tire speed is needed – gearing can make up for it in the rocks. Even with a well built D44 in the front, I would still feel like I was border line on axle strength with 38’s.

The deciding factor may be location. I’m in Maryland right now, but I’ll be moving within the next 2 months. The move will either be back down to NC/SC/GA or out to CO. I figure if I go back down south, then I have to go with the v8. There are just too many situations there where wheel speed is needed. If I go out to CO, I may be able to swing it with the 4 banger and gearing. It would really limit by ability for winter wheeling in snow though.

Basically, I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place and I’m just looking for opinions.

Well of course you need the V8 and tons!! Honestly though, I would wait to see where you end up with the move, then decide from there. If the $$ is right, the 60/14 combo sure sounds like a winner in either situation. If you were used to a 350 in your old rig, you might kick yourself in the long run if you dont do the V8. Just my .02:)

If I'm gonna go through the hassle of an engine swap, I'm gonna do it up right and go with a v8. The more I think about it, the more I think I may do the V8. With the 4 banger drivertrain + low gearing and 38's, I'll probably end up popping tranny after tranny. I'd also need a slip yoke eliminator, but the NP231 would be overmatched as well. Hmmm... sounds like the decision is getting easier.

Both options will end up costing more than you are figuring right now. That is about the best advice I can give.

I haven't even tried to sit down and come up with a total figure for either one. Either way, the build up will be done in steps over a few years. The first step is the axles and suspension, but before I do that, I need to have an idea of the drivetrain so that I know if I need to go with tons or if I can get away with 3/4 tons. V8 = tons for sure. 4 banger = 3/4 tons.

Go one tons, even if you never go to the v8 you'll never have to worry about popping an axle. Then if and when you decide you want more power you don't have to go back and change the drive train.

then of course there are rockwells

Thanks for the replies guys! It looks like I may find out as early as tomorrow whether or not I'm heading to CO. If I go to CO, I'm sticking with the 4 banger and I'm just going to gear the crap out of it with a 9" and D44. With the 4 banger, I'd probably stick with 36's.

Back