Can a Valve Cover be Cleaned?

Keith1138

I know mine can and i have done it. One of my friends that drives a 1995 jeep Cherokee 4.0 was told by a shop that his needs to be replaced because it can't be cleaned when you replace the gasket and his cover was bad. His valve cover gasket blew out in the back at first he thought it was the rear main seal he just had replaced so he went ahead and took it to the shop then he was told all of this. We are going to replace the cover and gasket ourselves since it is fairly easy.

My questions:
Is it true it can't be cleaned?
Can a cover really go bad or just the vacuum lines on top? (which aren't cracked or popping out)
Is the shop full of BS?
Is there a difference between the years that would affect anything or is a 4.0 cover a 4.0 cover?

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes they can be cleaned, no doubt.
The old cast style ones had a bead of RTV in them from the factory. Dealers were originally told to replace them instead of resealing them. This is false however. Clean it, apply a good bead of black RTV, let it set up a few minutes and set it down. Done it literally hundreds of times.
Other option is use a stamped steel 96 and up cover with a metal impregnated rubber gasket. You'll need to be careful when aligning the mounting holes as the 96 and up 4.0 interior head bolts use 2 with alignment dowels to keep the gasket in place.

Last edited:
Yes they can be cleaned, no doubt.
The old cast style ones had a bead of RTV in them from the factory. Dealers were originally told to replace them instead of resealing them. This is false however. Clean it, apply a good bead of black RTV, let it set up a fresh minutes and set it down. Done it literally hundreds of times.
Other option is use a stamped steel 96 and up cover with a metal impregnated rubber gasket. You'll need to be careful when aligning the mounting holes as the 96 and up 4.0 interior head bolts use 2 with alignment dowels to keep the gasket in place.

Can you use a good rubber gasket with the o-rings on a 95?

Can you use a good rubber gasket with the o-rings on a 95?
Negative.
The 95 and older has a lip for the RTV to set up against. The gasket will not properly lay flat on a 95 and back.
Use RTV and do it like I said. It'll be just fine.

I spent 15 years as shop foreman at the local Jeep dealer from 1997-2012. I've been into one or two 4.0 in my day. :beer:

Negative.
The 95 and older has a lip for the RTV to set up against. The gasket will not properly lay flat on a 95 and back.
Use RTV and do it like I said. It'll be just fine.

I spent 15 years as shop foreman at the local Jeep dealer from 1997-2012. I've been into one or two 4.0 in my day. :beer:

Okay Awesome...

Negative.

:eek: Woops. I am using a rubber gasket on my 93 after letting cork gaskets leak all over for years. Maybe I am just a shitty engine mechanic :shaking: It doesn't leak as much now!

Back