Camping tip #2 Bread

Your Hot Dog Guy!

I should have got this out a little earlier, sorry about that. Hauling and packing bread for a camping trip can be a pain. We learned this trick four years ago and just take it for granted. When you buy buns or any bread, it starts creating moisture inside the sealed bag. This comes from change in temp from store to car and then to house. Never let bread see sunlight, this creates a lot of moisture, bread when it leaves the oven still has a lot of moisture when it goes into the bag.
Here's what we do, sanitize your hands and open the bag and put a napkin or half a paper towel in the bottom of the loaf or buns! Gently squeeze the bread and grab the tail and spin and reseal with the tie. This creates just a little vacuum to draw some of the excess moisture from the bread. One more thing that creates moisture is where we live! 70- 90% humidity is a lot where we live. When you open to get a few slices, squeeze and reseal, this helps a lot if camping for a week! I'm on a Forum that deals with food vendors is where I learned this and it works. Bread is our worst thing to bring out and keep fresh for you guys, but we try our best to serve the freshest we can in the environment we work and serve in. Try stuffing 40 bags of buns with napkins! Hope this helps, Your Hot Dog Guys!:beer:

awesome tip for sure!

I have tried stuffing 40 bags with napkins!!!

Great trick. You open a loaf in the desert and it goes dry in minutes. Feels like toast before you can eat it.

Great trick. You open a loaf in the desert and it goes dry in minutes. Feels like toast before you can eat it.
Try breathing into the bag in the desert! That might put some moisture back in! Hey!.... I might be on to something! I'll let you know.

You just might have something there. Of course after a few days in the desert, I dont think I want any of these guys breathing on my food!:D

Tortillas.

Of course.... not sure I'd want to eat a hot dog off a tortilla, but they work well for sandwiches.

Back