Camping Cots

TARider

The kids have outgrown their cots and mine is reaching the sagging/stretched out phase so about time to pick up 4 new ones. This is for car camping so don’t need to be ultra light, but don’t want them taking up all the space in the back when hauling them. The largest person is me at 6’2”, 200 lbs.
any recommendations for something comfortable that won’t be stretched out after a week of use? No air mattresses.

Camp Cots Archives | TETON Sports

I have no first hand knowledge but I've been eyeballing these cots. Their xxl is rated for 600 lbs. Their whole line of cots & accessories looks good. Kind of pricey. Sportsmen Warehouse in GSO carries this stuff. I plan on stopping in sometime and get a better feel.

I am considering a back packing version. I have tried my sons pasion for hammocks. Just doesn't do it for me yet. Sleeping on a plain thermal rest isn't cutting it anymore either.
Getting older sucks...not resting in the outback sucks worse.

We have these and like them. I'd rather sleep on it than the inlaws 20year old spare room mattress.

I ponied up the coin for the XXL Teton and it is worth every penny. Sleeps great and has no problem supporting me. It is a little bulky so I would not take it camping in a tent but it is perfect for throwing in a cabin with some friends and not having to sleep on the floor

I ponied up the coin for the XXL Teton and it is worth every penny. Sleeps great and has no problem supporting me. It is a little bulky so I would not take it camping in a tent but it is perfect for throwing in a cabin with some friends and not having to sleep on the floor
You get the pad too?

I have the XXL from Sportsman's Warehouse. I think its a Teton with a Sportsman's logo. I use it with an REI mat and it's really comfy. Not easily portable though.

https://byerofmaine.com/products/easy cot

That's what I have.

The walmarts verity (and others) have a double layer right in the middle which makes a high spot that's uncomfortable. Would not recommend.
Wow, the prices have really gone up but the key to these is there's no cross bar that the ends, meaning tall folks can stretch out and be comfortable. I've been up and down in weight for decades and I can say this is a tank. No hot spots, you'll sleep great they will last forever so kids will use much later in life.

Anyone use the kamp rite tent cots? I'm thinking of getting one but looking for some real world experience before I pull the trigger.

Anyone use the kamp rite tent cots? I'm thinking of getting one but looking for some real world experience before I pull the trigger.
I've had one for about 15 years. Used it quite a bit between off-roading and camping with my son's Boy Scout troop.

The positives are:
+ Weatherproof. With the rainfly this thing is waterproof and holds in heat because it's a small space.
+ Easy to setup. Pretty much like a lawn chair with a canopy. It takes some elbow grease to unfold it because it's bulky. But that's about it.
+ Durable. It's like new after 15 years and multiple PCS moves.

The negatives are:
- It's bulky this thing takes the same amount of space as a 4x8 folding table. Keep that in mind.
- It can get hot in there. It is made of a very durable tent material (think military grade tent). But that means it can get kinda hot in that enclosed space with no airflow.
- It can get uncomfortable. It has like a 1/2 inch foam pad built in. But I really started to notice the folding joint areas as I got older. A blow up mat helped fix this.

Thanks. I'm looking at the oversized model. I toss and turn a lot in my sleep and need the extra room. I don't think I would like the double model because of the bar going down the middle.

Camp Cots Archives | TETON Sports

I have no first hand knowledge but I've been eyeballing these cots. Their xxl is rated for 600 lbs. Their whole line of cots & accessories looks good. Kind of pricey. Sportsmen Warehouse in GSO carries this stuff. I plan on stopping in sometime and get a better feel.
@Spence has one of the big Teton cots. He's had good things to say about it.

Back