Camping attire

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
I'll start this thread for what works for me, and since it's cold weather time, I will start with that.

As I was taught in Boy Scouts, I try and dress in layers.
For long johns, I use the Military ones I get at the Flea Market. I call them my green leotards LOL Thin yet warm. And very economical at $3 a pair or buy several and get them even cheaper. Pretty much a one size fits all item, as both Leslie and I can wear then same ones.
I have some long john type shirts, but the sleeves are usually too short and it bugs me so I just use a long T-shirt.
A light weight jacket over that and then I have a selection of several coats I use.
My Car Hart coat is one of my favs. Heavy duty and warm.
I also have a Army Field Jacket that is also very warm. With it, I have the choice of Jacket or jacket and liner.
Pants I am usually just wearing Jeans, but if you want to know the truth of the matter, lighter weight, close knit pants hold in more heat. If you have ever seen the Boy Scout Uniform, they are designed for that very reason. I found some Wrangler Cargo pants that are made from a different material than the Jeans, closer knit and rip stopped too. They are pretty good about holding in heat.
If it's VERY cold, I have some bib over alls that are also insulated. I chose the bibs over the full cover alls simply because I was happy with my coat selection and I have more freedom of movement with them. And, I think easier to get off and on and still keep the upper coverings.
As for head gear, I can't wear the hood for any of my coats and be able to move, but the hood does help cover my neck, and is good when sitting around the camp fire not doing much else.
I usually use a toboggan of some sort. Again, the closer knit they are, the better insulator they are, and we all know you loose most of your body heat through your head.
For gloves, I have used everything from the cheapo brownies to thinsolate insulated ones. All depends on what I am doing as to what I wear. Most of the time when it's cold, you will see me with gloves on. I have found that the Mechanic type gloves serve me no use at all. I usually carry several pairs in case one pair gets wet.
Boots is an area I didn't skimp any on. I wear Rocky Boots that are 800 grams of insulation and water proof. So far, they have not let me down. But to wear them it has to be cold. I have wool socks but with these boots, I have not seen the need for them.

As far as rain gear goes, I have not used it much, but I have some Gortex pants(just put on over my regular pants) and a yellow rain coat. The pants, also Military surplus, are found cheap at the Flea Market.

I also have and use the hand warmers. I have the stick type that you light, and also the warm hands type that you just shake up. works great inside your gloves.

OK so that's what works for me, what do you use?

I don't always abide by this rule, but wear as much wool clothing as possible. it keeps you warm, even when it gets wet.

I prefer synthetic head wear (fleece, poly, etc) because it generally does a good job of keeping the wind out.

I don't always abide by this rule, but wear as much wool clothing as possible. it keeps you warm, even when it gets wet.
I prefer synthetic head wear (fleece, poly, etc) because it generally does a good job of keeping the wind out.

Wool, silk and synthetics work for me, as well. "Cotton kills", as I've heard it said. Layers, in general, are better because it traps air that helps you stay warm.

I rock out with my Thinsulate gloves with liners and my Smart Wool socks and knit cap. The rest is somewhat less critical to me because if my head, hands and feet are warm then I can keep moving to keep the rest comfortable.

Back