camping and advise on pidgeon forge

woodpd

Im thinking of taking the family to Pidgeon Forge in June any advise on a good campground for a popup and intell on things to do to keep a 11, 16, and 39 year old female entertained without me going crazy or broke?

I see there's a KOA. Never been to this one but you can NEVER go wrong with KOA's...

But "Pidgeon Forge" and "broke" go hand in hand. Besides just scenic driving around, good luck with that!

River plantation is a great campground. River runs right beside of it. Has a big pool, lazy river and hot tub. Also they built a rope course you climb on looks pretty fun. Koa's are not always nice and usally are high. I went to one last Sunday and it was a dump

Go up Roaring Fork nature trail in Gatlinburg. Neat little one way drive through, it is paved, several places to pull off. The 2 mile hike to the close waterfall is worth it (walk behind waterfall).

My advice for Pigeon Forge...

Don't go

Oh I reckon everyone should go at least once. But I'd be just fine if I never went back. I went in June, it was super hot, traffic was insane, it was crowded everywhere, it was like all of myrtle beach slammed into a smaller area. Combine the strip, Broadway, 17+501 traffic, combine north and south myrtle, and shove it into one place. That's what it seemed like to me.
Did I mention it was hot?? I had a sweaty sack pretty much all the time. And to top it off my wife was 5 months pregnant.

So real advice? ...
Do not by an means DRIVE to Gatlinburg, take the trolley for cheap. The traffic was crazy.

Do have deep pockets.

Do take the family to Dixie stampedes if y'all never been. Worth the coin for sure.

Ripleys Aquarium was cool and worth the money.

That's really about all I can think of. We stayed a few nights in Maggie valley on the way, then hit Cherokee, which was kind of run down I thought. I liked Maggie valley a lot and there was an awesome place to eat called the Country Vittle.

Maybe I'm just a negative nancy, I'm sure I am at times. But it just wasn't for me. When I think of mountain vacations I think of relaxed, easy going slow pace with a beautiful scenery in all directions. Not so much of that there at pigeon forge.

Oh and don't fall into one of the time share traps. My dad did that, that's how we wound up there.

Oh and you must eat at the Old Mill!! And if y'all like apple butter get some from their store, best I've had for sure.

Oh and you must eat at the Old Mill!! And if y'all like apple butter get some from their store, best I've had for sure.
/\This is a must.

My best advice for traveling in to Gatlinburg is to take the bypass and it will kick you out at the end of Gatlinburg.

I've stayed at the KOA campground there and from what I remember it was really nice. It's been prob 10 years, we have a timeshare now so stay up the road a ways.

Look at the event schedule before you go. It can be super crowded around holidays and big events. But pigeon forge is my favorite destination lots to do but be prepared to spend some money u less you stay at a campground with plenty to do

Absolutely do not go if there is any type of vehicle related events scheduled. (cruise-ins)
All you have then is a 6 mile long parking lot.
Try to hit the Island ... where the big ferris wheel is. I don't care much about the wheel . but Paula Deens and Margaritaville are goood places to eat. Only problem with the island is it is a shopping area .... I have a house full of females also ... yep, broke!
Dixie Stampede .... yes!
The Pidgeon Forge KOA looks nice as I have driven by ... haven't camped there ... but it seems to stay full.

Matt

Don't forget to go check out cades cove. It's maybe 20 minutes away. Go in the afternoon and you'll see tons of deer and possibly a bear or two
More like an hr away, Laura and I went last year and saw prob 5 bear while there. Still a really nice trip to take and pack a picnic.

Oh I reckon everyone should go at least once. But I'd be just fine if I never went back. I went in June, it was super hot, traffic was insane, it was crowded everywhere, it was like all of myrtle beach slammed into a smaller area. Combine the strip, Broadway, 17+501 traffic, combine north and south myrtle, and shove it into one place. That's what it seemed like to me.
Did I mention it was hot?? I had a sweaty sack pretty much all the time. And to top it off my wife was 5 months pregnant.

So real advice? ...
Do not by an means DRIVE to Gatlinburg, take the trolley for cheap. The traffic was crazy.

Do have deep pockets.

Do take the family to Dixie stampedes if y'all never been. Worth the coin for sure.

Ripleys Aquarium was cool and worth the money.

That's really about all I can think of. We stayed a few nights in Maggie valley on the way, then hit Cherokee, which was kind of run down I thought. I liked Maggie valley a lot and there was an awesome place to eat called the Country Vittle.

Maybe I'm just a negative nancy, I'm sure I am at times. But it just wasn't for me. When I think of mountain vacations I think of relaxed, easy going slow pace with a beautiful scenery in all directions. Not so much of that there at pigeon forge.

Oh and don't fall into one of the time share traps. My dad did that, that's how we wound up there.

I'm with you. It's a huge tourist trap. It's a very pretty, scenic tourist trap though. But yeah, summer traffic is insane. We've rented a cabin in the surrounding mountains when we've gone, and its nice to be out in the middle of nowhere on beautiful twisty roads. But then when you want to do something...

My favorite part is the when they have all the bikers up there. They can build anything out of a empty beer case. The last time I went to Cades cove me and my wife road up there to pigeon she had never been. I drove right through turned around and got the heck out of there. Can't stand large crowds need some trees around me.

I have talked to the wife and I think we will change our plans. thanks for all the info now to figure a new destination:confused://////////

I have talked to the wife and I think we will change our plans. thanks for all the info now to figure a new destination:confused://////////
Don't let this keep you from the mountains. There are alot of things to do up there , Brevard Linville falls Linville caverns mt Mitchell there is no end of things to do up there.

If some miracle were to take place one day and me and my wife had a babysitter to escape for a 3 day weekend, I'd love to head up to hot springs. Hotspringslogcabins.com has nice couples cabins with hot tubs on the front porch tucked away in the mountains.

Stay in elkmont the kids will have plenty to do in the river and you never have to see myrtle beach in the mountains

Back