Camper Build

That is a S250 G commo shelter. It's shielded from RF, both leaving and coming in. I would leave the door open if you use a microwave inside it. Those things are hard as hell to heat. The heat just "wicks" to the outside. I've spent the better part of my 20's in one of those. Should be a neat project. I'd insulate the walls somehow.

I found that my sleeper also wicked heat out when I was camping when it was cold (in Feb.) BUT that said its hard to find a small enough heater so even on low it was fine.

BUT IMHO I'd rather have it wick heat out than not. I think that a much better advantage in the heat of the summer down here.

On the roof stuff from before, mine is fiberglass and I just painted it Rustolum white, so far the interior is doing very good with the summer heat. I go out and climb in at different times to see how bad it is. You had mentioned some possible standing water etc.. They make an aluminum type roof coating for RVs and mobile homes, its not very heavy (vs a tar based material) and its very reflective and rated for standing water/puddling. I'd think a gallon would cover it and you wouldn't have to worry about any leaks..

any more pics??

A big GRRRRRR for the weekend.

We are/were planning to break in the camper this week. I started the weekend with about 32 hours of estimated work on the camper and trailer before leaving for the trip. Now, 1130pm Sunday night, I just got in from the shop, and have about 30 hours left. Yep, worked hard all weekend, and got about two hours of work done. :( One of those times that everything broke, went wrong, etc. Re-corded my grinder, tore my plasma apart to fix an air leak, rewired the winch, stripped a shock mount stud on the trailer, and the Jeep Crane broke, twice (finally got to where I can drop and rig it alone, though).

I did manage to narrow a new axle and get it back under my M101 trailer, though, and my wife finished painting the insides of the camper. Sorry, still no pics, I forgot all about it during daylight hours, and remembered it about 11pm tonight. I'll get some soon.

Tomorrow, in between service calls, is woodwork day...the bunk is going to be oak veneer and solid oak trim...be a good change from paint, grease, and welding.

I added a few pics to my album page http://www.sanlee.com/s250/s250album/index.html

First up is the outside. The window is out of an RV, cutout is 30x33". Bottom tilts out.

20080610_3.jpg

This is the opposite side and back. I might put my other window in the back wall, probably not.

20080610_6.jpg

This is the inside...wife did the sponge painting... base coat is same as the outside, lighter color is a light tan that looks really white (thanks to Lowe's mixing), and the 'footprints' are OD green, that turned out really looking gray.

20080610_4.jpg

This is the opposite wall...you can see the vertical shelf brackets where 2 rows of wire shelving will go.

20080610_5.jpg

The "Jeep Crane" that has saved my butt and back several times the past few days. I had just used it here to set the bed on the trailer.

20080610_2.jpg

Finally, the M101A2 trailer that will tote it if I'm not taking the Jeep along. Tires are 305/85R16's that are close to the size of the XZL's on my M715. Wheels are 16x8's. I just now swapped out the military axle for a Dexter electric brake axle, and removed the hydraulic surge hitch and welded on an adjustable lunette eye. I'm painting the body the same color as the S250.

20080610_11.jpg

Put my A/C unit in today, took it a while to go from 100* inside to 73*, but it made it. I think it'll work out fine.

And before anybody catches it...the specs for the S250 say the lower width is about 48-5/16". The stock M101 bed is about 45" between the wheel wells. I had to narrow the electric brake axle, but made it about 8" wider than the stock M101 axle, and will be cutting loose the fenders and sliding each one out about 4".

After one hell of a week working on the camper, our plans changed a bit for our shakedown trip. We planned to leave Thursday morning, but finally finished it and left at 4pm Friday, paint still wet.

Ended up staying at Stone Mountain State Park. It's the first state park in the NC system to have water/electric hookups for RV's.

Here is the truck and camper in the parking lot for one of the trails:

awww.sanlee.com_S250_MiscPics_truckcamper.jpg

Our campsite: (most of the sites were about like this...not too close to your neighbors, compared to most RV places.)

awww.sanlee.com_S250_MiscPics_campsite.jpg

The camper...the last thing I did was the ladder, and it didn't get any paint.

awww.sanlee.com_S250_MiscPics_camper.jpg

Only found a couple of things to add/change to the camper. Need a small shelf at the head end of the bed for glasses, water bottle, etc. The A/C worked great, only problem is that it blew on us too directly, I need a diffuser/deflector for the air outlet. Still need to build a spare tire mount.

The only problem we had with it at all was a bit of trailer sway at first...even though the axle is set back a bit, and the camper was all the way forward, the 2 heavy items inside are in the back (80lb a/c and 40lb porta-potti (w/water). I had to ratchet strap the spare tire to the tongue (were it will be mounted anyway), and put the 2 coolers in the front of the camper to the enough weight on the tongue.

All in all, I'd do it again, with very few changes.

Looks nice !!!

Mike, if y'all are ever down this way (Sanford), I'll be glad to give you the grand tour.

BTW, I wasn't the smallest camper at Stone Mountain...there was a guy there in a teardrop...now they are small!

The camper turned out nice looking, good job. You could mount a spare tire holder, fresh water storage or cooler racks to the front of the trailer/tongue and get your extra tongue weight there.

Stone Mtn. is one of our best parks. I love the hiking, fishing and scenery there. Great place to break in the camper.

I was married at Garden Creek Baptist church last September. Its the little church that sets by Garden Creek and the Roaring River.

<><Fish

Attachments

• GCBC9-22-07.jpg
    GCBC9-22-07.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,303
as promised, interior pics:

Here is the bunk in the sleeping position. Cushion is 3" foam, made into 4 pieces. The two center sections will lift out and lean against the back wall to make more floor space. There is about 2' of floor space with the bunk in this position, enough for the portapotti and getting in and out the door. Wood is oak and oak veneer plywood, yet to be stained. I have aluminum hat channel screwed up under the plywood inserts to keep them from bowing.

awww.sanlee.com_S250_MiscPics_bunk.jpg

Here is the bunk with one cushion/panel removed. This is how we usually set it during the day to have more room for dressing, etc. We can just pull the corners off the fitted sheet up front, and fold back in half on the remaining bunk, so we don't have to fully re-make the bed every night. Also you can see that the portapotti slides up under the rear bunk section during the day. Straps you see in lower right corner are for the portapotti when travelling.

awww.sanlee.com_S250_MiscPics_bunkopen.jpg

This is the wall opposite the window (to the right as you enter). 2 rows about 6' long of adjustable shelving. Plenty of room for our clothes and stuff for a long weekend. (can also put duffel bags or suitcases under the front half of the bunk for a longer trip).

awww.sanlee.com_S250_MiscPics_shelves.jpg

Finally, the a/c unit as described in an earlier post. The straps were the only ones I could find before our first trip. I have since found some black straps, but have not put them on yet.

awww.sanlee.com_S250_MiscPics_ac.jpg

yeah, i'm curious to know how that a/c unit has been working in hot weather...?

(One Yager hasn't tried yet)
My wife wants to get out of the tent, off the ground, and into air conditioning. Like everybody else here, I had a hard time figuring out what to do that would let me tow the Jeeps too, short of a toterhome.
Anyway, the project begins...last week I bought this:
aimg501.imageshack.us_img501_9067_s250cq5.jpg

for some reason the image isn't showing up on my work pc .. here is a direct link:
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9067/s250cq5.jpg
Inside, it measures about 75" wide by 78" long and 64" tall. Here is a link to a dimensioned drawing:
http://www.wenzlau.com/img/photos/drawing_s250.gif
It weighs approximately 800 pounds, plus whatever I put in it. Basically, the plan is to have a sectional bunk (you can lift out center cushions and plywood to make more room), a porta-potti, a/c unit, and a microwave. Not much more than that, because there just isn't room, and I want to keep it under 1200# total.
I've spent this week stripping out a ton of conduit and other junk. It is already wired (60amp main breaker, 4 15a circuits, 2 @30a). It is wired for 115 only, and I am making up a power cable for it to connect to a campground 30a-115v service.
I still need to install the window. If anybody is hunting camper parts, I bought two nice windows for cheap from an RV salvage place up in Liberty (just N of Siler City off 421).... they have a website.... www.nationalrecoveryservice.com
Right now, it's ready for paint, then upholstery. We've seen too many hacked up 'man caves', and we want this to look as good, and be better built, than a store-bought camper.
I plan to use it 2 ways -- first is on the big flatbed trailer (22'), but it will be turned 180* from the way it is in the picture so the door is on the normal RV side (to the curb) since most sites are laid out for that, and it will also be pushed all the way to the front of the trailer deck. I am also modifying my military M101A2 trailer so the shelter will fit. That would be for Jeep-less camping trips, or pulling with the 715. The shelter has tow points and skids, and both trailers are set up with winches, so it will be easy to load/unload/transfer the camper.
More pics as the project moves along.... the goal is to take it on a trip to the mountains we have planned in mid-june.
Well I have not seen one of those in DECADES! It's a FIELD COMMO REPAIR SHACK, basically a mini-shop that went in the back of a deuce-and-a-half. Nice find!
And you did a hell of a job turning it into a camper, too.
Here is the bunk with one cushion/panel removed. This is how we usually set it during the day to have more room for dressing, etc. We can just pull the corners off the fitted sheet up front, and fold back in half on the remaining bunk, so we don't have to fully re-make the bed every night. Also you can see that the portapotti slides up under the rear bunk section during the day. Straps you see in lower right corner are for the portapotti when travelling.

awww.sanlee.com_S250_MiscPics_bunkopen.jpg
You should move those straps back to where it's sitting in that pic. That way it'd offset some of the weight of the AC unit AND not be in the way of the door when you just need to get in and out for something.

Back