Camper Build

kaiser715

Doing hard time
Camper Build - pix link added, post #10

(One Yager hasn't tried yet)

My wife wants to get out of the tent, off the ground, and into air conditioning. Like everybody else here, I had a hard time figuring out what to do that would let me tow the Jeeps too, short of a toterhome.

Anyway, the project begins...last week I bought this:

aimg501.imageshack.us_img501_9067_s250cq5.jpg

for some reason the image isn't showing up on my work pc .. here is a direct link:

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9067/s250cq5.jpg

Inside, it measures about 75" wide by 78" long and 64" tall. Here is a link to a dimensioned drawing:

http://www.wenzlau.com/img/photos/drawing_s250.gif

It weighs approximately 800 pounds, plus whatever I put in it. Basically, the plan is to have a sectional bunk (you can lift out center cushions and plywood to make more room), a porta-potti, a/c unit, and a microwave. Not much more than that, because there just isn't room, and I want to keep it under 1200# total.

I've spent this week stripping out a ton of conduit and other junk. It is already wired (60amp main breaker, 4 15a circuits, 2 @30a). It is wired for 115 only, and I am making up a power cable for it to connect to a campground 30a-115v service.

I still need to install the window. If anybody is hunting camper parts, I bought two nice windows for cheap from an RV salvage place up in Liberty (just N of Siler City off 421).... they have a website.... www.nationalrecoveryservice.com

Right now, it's ready for paint, then upholstery. We've seen too many hacked up 'man caves', and we want this to look as good, and be better built, than a store-bought camper.

I plan to use it 2 ways -- first is on the big flatbed trailer (22'), but it will be turned 180* from the way it is in the picture so the door is on the normal RV side (to the curb) since most sites are laid out for that, and it will also be pushed all the way to the front of the trailer deck. I am also modifying my military M101A2 trailer so the shelter will fit. That would be for Jeep-less camping trips, or pulling with the 715. The shelter has tow points and skids, and both trailers are set up with winches, so it will be easy to load/unload/transfer the camper.

More pics as the project moves along.... the goal is to take it on a trip to the mountains we have planned in mid-june.

Thats cool !! I had considered one of those prior to doing the #3 sleeper, I just wasn't able to located one, nor had ever seen one in person. I look forward to your build up..

Is it insulated ? (Any inside pics?) You will like the extra room, the sleeper is tight at times..

I've got plans on scratch paper to build a small trailer like your doing for non-jeep trips... (Also for me it will help with my unloading from the trailer).

More pics !!

Is it insulated ? (Any inside pics?)

I'll shoot some pics tonight or over the weekend of the inside. Right now, it's a lovely seafoam green inside.

It is insulated, its a foam-core construction, skinned by aluminum on both sides. RIght at 1-1/2" thick. I'm painting it a desert tan color to reduce solar gain.

A "high strength aluminum alloy" frame is on 19" centers, plus the heavy aluminum outer corners and edges. They are made to be air lifted, crane loaded, etc, and they even had a winch and pulley bar kit for the big trucks to lift one end off the ground, tilt it up, and drag it into the bed of the truck...so they are made to be rough-handled to some degree.

I have seen one online that was set up with double bunks on each side, to sleep four people, but that would be way tight and too close.

wow im kinda envious...... (smelling new project) mine is very nice inside, but with me and the wife, it got small very quick. I had penciled out an 'better' size to keep my eye opened for any stretched sleepers. And those dimensions are close to what I had drawn up... I like the lift points and heavy-duty'ness of it... Might have to put mine up forsale ;)

I am headed to Uwharrie in the a.m., and needed to free up the trailer, so today was the first test of unloading it. I took the straps off, and by myself was able to spin it around (it has skids, my trailer has a treadplate deck), and slide it to the back of the trailer. To get it all the way off, I had to use the CJ winch, but if I had a helper, 2 of us could have pushed it off.

To reload, I will be able to use a couple of 2x4's and the trailer winch.

Just like launching a boat. :)

that is cool. how much does one of those cost ????????

Finally, some pics....

I used jalbum to build the gallery.... for quick navigation, click on the righthand third of a pic to go the next photo. (click on left side goes back, click in middle goes to index page).

If you want to save a pic, just go to the address bar of your browser and change the .html to .jpg and hit enter...that'll load the image alone in a window where you can right-click-save.

http://www.sanlee.com/s250/s250album/index.html

A few misc. notes:

* the white splotches inside are primer where I covered some bare aluminum after sanding out some rivets where conduit was

* don't mind my 12ga stuck in the exterior outlet..thats just to run the lights until I make up a power cable. The round screw-off caps you see are funky electrical connectors, Ontario Surplus has the cables to match. I am making one up about 25' long ending with a TT30 plug (campground/rv 30a 115v).

* the double doors are basically there in case it's in a truck or trailer and the tailgate is up, so you can't get locked in

* the doors are padlockable, but there is a thumbscrew on the inside of the door that releases the padlock hasp, so you can't get locked in.

* the big vent on door is light-tight

* if you do buy one, don't put a rooftop a/c unit on it -- the roof holds about 1/4" of water when it rains. The gaskets/clamping system on a rooftop a/c unit can't hold back the standing water...folks have tried this and failed. I am using a portable a/c unit that vents outside via a dryer-vent type hose.

* the CARC paint on the outside and is bad stuff for your lungs, either when sprayed or if sanded. Wear a mask if you sand it down before paint.

* ain't seafoam green lovely?

have you tried the portable a/c unit yet? i'm curious as to how well they work. if i end up keeping my toterhome, i plan to buy one for the cab/sleeper area. the unit mounted in the back doesn't quite cool enough up there for my liking, especially if the generator is on it's like a heater being right under the sleeper.

yager, since you're in here i think i remember seeing one of your sleeper projects having an independent a/c unit from the factory? how did that work? off the engine compressor or was it completely self contained?

A/C is on order, will probably be in here the first of next week. I've used one before in a server room, seemed to work good -- but about as noisy as a motel unit.

The one I got may be too big...but I have read many places where they are overrated btu vs. btu compared to window units, so we'll see....

* the doors are padlockable, but there is a thumbscrew on the inside of the door that releases the padlock hasp, so you can't get locked in.

-----That was what I would have been first concerned about. My claustriphobic nature would freak out if it were possible to be locked in a big metal box.

A/C is on order, will probably be in here the first of next week. I've used one before in a server room, seemed to work good -- but about as noisy as a motel unit.

The one I got may be too big...but I have read many places where they are overrated btu vs. btu compared to window units, so we'll see....

Please send me the info about the AC unit. SOunds like something I could maybe do with the Van.

Please send me the info about the AC unit. SOunds like something I could maybe do with the Van.

I was gonna post the link to the one I bought, ordered from Costco, but it's no longer on their website...musta got the last one. They did have about 20 different units, now only shows about 6 models when you search.

Lowe's and HomerDepot keep some in stock. Google "portable air conditioner" and you'll get some hits.

They come in a couple of different styles. First is A/C only. No heat. Second is A/C with heat. Usually a resistance heater of about 1500w. Not much use at all (but might actually work in the S250 shell on all but sub-freezing temps. Third type is actually a heat pump, and heating BTU's are about the same as the listed A/C BTU's.

They also come in single or dual hose designs. The dual hose ones bring in the coil cooling air from outside, the single hose ones are continually pumping cooled air out of the room, which is replaced with warm outside air that seeps in any cracks or openings. Although the one I chose is a dual-hose, I will probably just run the output hose to a vent, and let it draw and exhaust room air, to help make up for it being oversized for the box.

DP

Here is a .jpg of the design I'm working with... the only thing you really can't see (I deleted the overhead view) is that the bunk is in 4 sections...the 2 cushions that are over the existing benches are permanent, there are 2 center sections that lift out to make more floor space if needed.

Portapotti will slide up under the bunk when not needed. It will be restrained by footman loops and velcro straps...I don't want it rolling around. :poop:

s250design.jpg

DP

I don't know how many of you have called Delks in the last week and asked about them....but when I bought mine, he had them starting at $150, and I bought the best one he had for $500. A buddy went over there today to see about them....and now the pricing STARTS at $700. :(

Supply and Demand at work, I guess.

-----That was what I would have been first concerned about. My claustriphobic nature would freak out if it were possible to be locked in a big metal box.

I was thinking the same thing plus I know my friends and the jokes they like to play.

Todays update:

over the past week have gotten it about 75% painted inside and out. Had to make a couple of panels to block off where they had some stuff, plus have been working on my trailer.

Tonight, I took the plunge and cut in the window and installed it. I used a 30x33 tilt-out that I picked up at the salvage yard in Liberty. Butyl tape is a PIA to do right. I was going to put in two, but for now I decided to just go with one of them. I'll put the other one up for sale when I decide for sure. I also put up some shelf standards (using existing threaded nutserts they already have in the walls).

Got dark before I got some more pics, but will post some updated ones soon. Goal is to have it done for a trip on June 12....maybe we'll make it.

I saw the title and thought Mike had started yet another one:shaking:...

This thing looks good, and looks like it can be very versitale...

The drawings there are kind of decieving, but itll make more sense when I see the beds laid out inside it...

Interested to see how that AC unit works as well... do you think the sides are strong enough to hold a small window AC unit?

looks like a cool idea, let us know a total cost of the build when you finish.

Budget is right at $2000. We are really not cutting any corners...like the $450 heatpump a/c & heat instead of a cheap window unit....interior trim is oak, with oak veneer plywood bunk. Upholsterer is making the cushions for us, etc.

So far, we are staying right on budget. Got a few deals on some stuff that came in cheaper, and added a few things that offset that. As usual, I didn't budget for paint supplies, just paint...I think the supplies are gonna cost as much or more than the paint (thinner, brushes, blue tape, tray liners, roller covers, etc).

do you think the sides are strong enough to hold a small window AC unit?

Delks had one that had a military a/c unit in the front wall (wall opposite door. Iron supports bolted thru the wall channels, plus had support legs angling back into the wall.

I didn't use a thru-wall unit because it will sit on one trailer one way, and turned 90* on my other trailer, so I didn't want it sticking out to the side 18" one way or the other.

On the school bus conversion sites, you'll find a couple of folks that have taken apart the window a/c units and made split systems. Lotsa work, and you have to find somebody that will charge it, but might be worth playing with.

Budget is right at $2000.

I just updated my cost spreadsheet. The only thing not purchased for the camper is the plywood and trim for the bunk. Including what I budgeted for that, and all my costs to date, it looks like I'm into this for $2102.35.

Back