Bus/RV Towrig project

AAA :)
Guy had an awesome impact gun to get lugs off, then used tire spoons to dismount and mount new tire ( I had 3 spares with me )
took about 1hr 45min from time it blew till time we were back on the road..
but after watching I will be getting some spoons and tools to do it myself now :)

I'm interested in the tire spoon idea. Were they regular tire spoons or special "truck tire" spoons? My grandpap had a set of tire spoons, but they were not very long. They would be a bear to use. Some info please!

I'm interested in the tire spoon idea. Were they regular tire spoons or special "truck tire" spoons? My grandpap had a set of tire spoons, but they were not very long. They would be a bear to use. Some info please!

They are special (ie longer) can get them at Fleetpride, northern tool etc. And if you are mounting truck tires you will have to have a Cheeta (red air tank in pic) to seat the bead unless its a Micheline tire.

Now if anyone is goin to try and mount their own truck tires, I have to say at least watch some online training videos, I know michelins site has them, mounting truck tires or any other tire is very dangerous, but especially truck tires due to the volume and psi of the air and that you will be airing it up outside of a tire cage. Youtube a video of a zipper tear.

Sorry for the spill, BTW love the bus Bruiser

Were you ridding in your new super sexy comfy seats when this all went down?

BTW... Having mounted a few hundred truck tires in my life, It is much easier to carry mounted spares. You will still need a Big impact and a popcorn jack to plug into the air tank on the bus. Wheels are cheap in the salvage yard, but you will spend a wad on the tools.

Now if anyone is goin to try and mount their own truck tires

Fawk. That. Shit.

I'll mount my own beadlocks and stuff.... but screw mounting truck tires. I've seen it done plenty of times. I know "how" it's done. But truck tires can kill you.

Ken, They have the Cheetah on sale @ Northern right now. I think getting some tools would be cool, to DIY some...@ the shop. But carrying mounted spares sounds so much better on the side of the road.

well I already have a mounted spare I am swapping out for my extra tire very soon.. talked to local tire place to get it done.. now just need to load that dang big tire into back of Avalanche :)

the more i think about it.. i really only want to carry one spare with me.. anything more and I am loosing cargo area space

Why not mount the tire on the back of the RV?

Why not mount the tire on the back of the RV?

Heck yeah! With Jerry cans and a jack!

(granted it'd have to be (2) 50gallon barrels and a 20 ton hydraulic....but still!)

Ken,
Sounds like you gonna need a Full On Toter Home & Matching Stacker Trailer very soon.

Ken, I've got your blinds ready. Sorry it took so long.

Ken, I've got your blinds ready. Sorry it took so long.

Yeah, so is everybody at the Windrock campground. Ken apparently didn't realize that just because he couldn't see outside didn't mean that everybody else couldn't see in.

Those images are seared in my brain....:shaking:

Yeah, so is everybody at the Windrock campground. Ken apparently didn't realize that just because he couldn't see outside didn't mean that everybody else couldn't see in.
Those images are seared in my brain....:shaking:

hahaha..

funny guy

They are special (ie longer) can get them at Fleetpride, northern tool etc. And if you are mounting truck tires you will have to have a Cheeta (red air tank in pic) to seat the bead unless its a Micheline tire.

Now if anyone is goin to try and mount their own truck tires, I have to say at least watch some online training videos, I know michelins site has them, mounting truck tires or any other tire is very dangerous, but especially truck tires due to the volume and psi of the air and that you will be airing it up outside of a tire cage. Youtube a video of a zipper tear.

Sorry for the spill, BTW love the bus Bruiser

You are right about the truck tires. They suck! I have a AAA plan too. I will let that guy play with the tire swap! But, I am running Michelin's now and am very happy with them.

Thanks for looking out for the fellows though.

All you need is a little either!

Like... either you'll seat the tires, or you won't?

Which Easter bunny?

Well took RV out for its 1st real test..
took family to the beach for a week and so far everything is working great..and it did not even know it had a trailer and jeep behind it when towing down the road..
View attachment 39599
View attachment 39600
I've enjoyed reading about your adventure with the bus. Neat and great documentation of the story. I have an older gasser motorhome so I can relate to alot of your story. The tire situation raised the hair on the back of my neck. No fun! I have something called coachnet I carry. it's basically AAA for motorhomes, costs me $100/year and I've got my money's worth several times over. Also covers my cars/trucks and I've used it both all my junk over the past few years
I had a question. Where did you camp at the beach this past summer? I am always looking for ideas and just haven't found many good options on the NC coast. Thanks and happy RVing (or busing I guess in this case).

I had a question. Where did you camp at the beach this past summer? I am always looking for ideas and just haven't found many good options on the NC coast. Thanks and happy RVing (or busing I guess in this case).

we stayed at KOA in wilmington once for a week, very nice and kid/family friendly and not to far to beaches or site seeing.

we also stayed at winter RV park, which was great because our plan was to be on carolina beach all weekend and winters is just off the beach.. but that one is just a spot to park and hook up nothing else

we stayed at KOA in wilmington once for a week, very nice and kid/family friendly and not to far to beaches or site seeing.
we also stayed at winter RV park, which was great because our plan was to be on carolina beach all weekend and winters is just off the beach.. but that one is just a spot to park and hook up nothing else
Thanks much for the info. Good luck with the rig, it's a beast! Looks fun to drive. Is that a std tranny as well in that thing?

Back