Bumper Pull vs GN 5er Debate

BigSouth

Doesn't play well with others!
So how do you like pulling a trailer that big with a bumper pull and how do you think the three axles vs two compares to turning radius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with 3 axles for carrying capacity with load range E tires. I didn’t want 17.5” tires because I’ve searched for tires, after hours, on a Sunday. 16” tires are available in a pinch. As for how it pulls, I think it pulls great. I use a weight distribution hitch and it allows me to transfer weight to the front axle and keep the whole setup sitting level.

So how do you like pulling a trailer that big with a bumper pull

Either tows fine, but the tag trailer will get out of hand faster and pushes the truck around a lot easier than a gooseneck of the same length.

And a gooseneck doesn’t offer any weight distribution or sway control. Pros and cons to both I suppose. Nothings better than a good head on your shoulders and you can be successful no matter which route you choose.

Wouldn't a gooseneck distribute weight a little better since your point of contact is usually 3-4 inches forward of the rear axle center line instead of 2 or 3 feet behind it?

And a gooseneck doesn’t offer any weight distribution or sway control. Pros and cons to both I suppose. Nothings better than a good head on your shoulders and you can be successful no matter which route you choose.

I’ll probably end up going gooseneck for the tight turning. I used my bosses when I went to get my buggy pulled in for a stake and when we came out we were jammed in, took a minute but got out there was no way we could have done it with a bumper pull

Wouldn't a gooseneck distribute weight a little better since your point of contact is usually 3-4 inches forward of the rear axle center line instead of 2 or 3 feet behind it?

By no means am I an expert, but I’ll offer my perspective. My weight distribution hitch is adjustable to control my tongue weight. The head on the shank is adjustable as well as the amount of tension I put on the torsion bars. They also sell different spring rates in torsion bars. It’s just another level of control beyond just hooking up a gooseneck. Not saying it’s better, but I do believe there’s more fine tuning available for varying loads. Just my $.02

I’ll probably end up going gooseneck for the tight turning. I used my bosses when I went to get my buggy pulled in for a stake and when we came out we were jammed in, took a minute but got out there was no way we could have done it with a bumper pull

Can’t argue with that logic. Goosenecks are, hands down, much more maneuverable.

Gooseneck has better inherent weight distribution and sway control, since the loaded point is between the 4 tires, not hanging out back 4ft. However, like @BigSouth said, a weight distributing hitch can give you the ability to adjust the weight distribution to where it is better than a gooseneck. Obviously sway control devices can be purchased, but a majority of the newer trucks have built in sway control using sensors and rear brake modulation. A properly loaded trailer is the best sway control anyway.

Either tows fine, but the tag trailer will get out of hand faster and pushes the truck around a lot easier than a gooseneck of the same length.

And likewise, threading a gooseneck thru sharp turns in parking lot entrances will have you driving over the curbs/etc. a lot more than a bumper pull...

Gooseneck trailers don't need sway control or weight distribution. It's inherent in the system.

Gooseneck trailers don't need sway control or weight distribution. It's inherent in the system.

That’s crap! All trailers, regardless of coupler, can experience sway and end up in the ditch. Goosenecks just have to use a different style of sway control.

Just asking here....

But even with a weight distribution hitch, isn't it all still tongue weight? I know it helps and works, but all the weight is still on the receiver and hitch, right?

That’s crap! All trailers, regardless of coupler, can experience sway and end up in the ditch. Goosenecks just have to use a different style of sway control.

Yes, it's called "loading your trailer properly".

And shit like 18 wheelers and wind don’t exist in magical “gooseneck fairy land”.

And shit like 18 wheelers and wind don’t exist in magical “gooseneck fairy land”.

I've never seen goofy little sway controller shocks on 18-wheelers.

That’s fifth wheel, not gooseneck.

Oh, sure. Because the physics completely change when you allow the trailer to roll independent of the tow vehicle.

Doesn’t change the fact that ALL trailers can experience sway. Tag, gooseneck, or fifth wheel. I’ve owned all 3 and felt it on all 3. If you think you can’t experience sway just because you own a gooseneck, you’re just not educating yourself on the subject.

Doesn’t change the fact that ALL trailers can experience sway. Tag, gooseneck, or fifth wheel. I’ve owned all 3 and felt it on all 3. If you think you can’t experience sway just because you own a gooseneck, you’re just not educating yourself on the subject.

Cool story, bro

I'm still waiting for the pictures of the 18-wheelers with little sway shocks on the rear deck.

Gooseneck has better inherent weight distribution and sway control, since the loaded point is between the 4 tires, not hanging out back 4ft. ... A properly loaded trailer is the best sway control anyway.

So when did @shawn put me on ignore? Probably offended him with a Cummings remark :p

So when did @shawn put me on ignore? Probably offended him with a Cummings remark :p

I wasn't ignoring you, I agree with you.

Want to fight about something? Hey- you should pick up a CTD and take that gift certificate off my hands.

Back