Bronco Reveal

Ok... true. You can just about always find that one person who drives 10 billion miles a year, eats and drinks and talks on the phone and puts on makeup and watches TV while driving. That person would obviously prefer an automatic transmission.

This is a Bronco discussion, a toy/fun vehicle discussion.

Would you choose a Bronco/supra/Wrangler/M3/911 to drive all those miles in and work out of?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Uhmmm...

Do you want to see the receipt from the $100 deposit I placed today?

Btw...it isnt "that one guy"
If there was a demand for manual transmissions they would account for more than 3% of new vehicle sales.

I also dont want to hand crank start my car, nor manually roll down my windows, or pull a lever to slide my seat or twist an analog knob while I search for one of 3 station my car can get at the moment, or spend 10 minutes fast forwarding a cassette tape to get to the one song I wanted to hear, only to run past it and have to flip fast forward and flip again. Heated and air cooled seats are nice also.

I enjoyed the heck out of wheeling my Samurai with a manual transmission. Shifting gears was just part of the fun factor. I'm not the target buyer though for the new Bronco.

Id have to side with Save the manuals lol I still miss the 97 4runner 5spd i had. As well as my old 6spd cummins, everyone said they newer diesels autos have gotten way better, that maybe true but it still seems to always be in the wrong gear and has to hunt for the right gear while towing.

But i also know people that have tried the manual route but never seem to master the shifts or what gear they should be in and have to think way to hard about it.

You plan on working out of and driving a new bronco 60K+ miles a year?

No one said anything about hand cranking or listening to cassettes. That argument is so tired and unreasonable.
No one argues against power windows and locks (even though they are added cost and complexity in a vehicle with removable doors)
The manual trans buying percentage is so skewed anyway, because manufacturers make it so hard to get one....with Tacoma, wrangler, and now the Bronco. If everything was the same, and the only option was manual or auto, then we'd see real percentages. They claim 'no one buys manuals' as the reason they don't offer one....creating a self fulfilling prophecy. How can we buy one? They don't offer it.

What do you think is the main driving factor behind a wrangler/bronco sale?
Heated/cooled seats? Screen size? 10 driving modes? ride comfort? 10 speed auto trans? MPG? LED headlights?

Nope. It has removable doors and top and looks cool and rugged and is highly customizable. There is no reason this truck doesn't get a solid front axle, manual trans on all models, and minimal tech. It'll still sell just as many because its been proven that looking rugged and cool trumps MPG and ride quality and dependability (see wrangler).

And it would be cheaper!

I enjoy driving my manual Tj & my manual '86 F150 when playing off-road, driving in my off-time.

My '17 F150 auto (because I couldn't get a manual) gets me down the interstate 100-miles a day to work just fine - if I bought a new Bronco, it would not get me to work daily, just on special occasions, etc.

Manuals just make me fucking happier when I am on "my" time.

BTW, I like crank windows, too.

If everything was the same, and the only option was manual or auto, then we'd see real percentages. They claim 'no one buys manuals' as the reason they don't offer one....creating a self fulfilling prophecy. How can we buy one? They don't offer it.

nailed it! The wife and I both bought brand new cars a few years back.....she ended up in a GTI because she could get every option she wanted AND a manual transmission, outside of the sport hatch market, everything else was base optioned to get a manual.

I looked at buying a chevy colorado and the only option was a 4 cylinder, 2wd, 'extedned cab'.....I think it literally had ZERO options....want a Limited slip...gotta get the automatic!

I may not be the target market, but when the next new vehicle purchase comes up in my life, if I can't get it the way I want it with a stick shift.....I won't be buying it.

Using the k5 as a daily with the slow shifting 4spd and 5.3, I’ve just got a shit eating grin all the time. Like you can’t be in a bad mood, I don’t answer the phone or text while driving it, and I enjoy it. I really should get the brackets to put AC back on it. I know it would be faster with a 4L80e, cheaper than a nv4500 swap, and I can cruise at 80. Now if that makes you feel less manly than me, that’s on you. It’s just the struggles of being one of the poors with two vehicles you’re building.

You plan on working out of and driving a new bronco 60K+ miles a year?

No one said anything about hand cranking or listening to cassettes. That argument is so tired and unreasonable.
No one argues against power windows and locks (even though they are added cost and complexity in a vehicle with removable doors)
The manual trans buying percentage is so skewed anyway, because manufacturers make it so hard to get one....with Tacoma, wrangler, and now the Bronco. If everything was the same, and the only option was manual or auto, then we'd see real percentages. They claim 'no one buys manuals' as the reason they don't offer one....creating a self fulfilling prophecy. How can we buy one? They don't offer it.

What do you think is the main driving factor behind a wrangler/bronco sale?
Heated/cooled seats? Screen size? 10 driving modes? ride comfort? 10 speed auto trans? MPG? LED headlights?

Nope. It has removable doors and top and looks cool and rugged and is highly customizable. There is no reason this truck doesn't get a solid front axle, manual trans on all models, and minimal tech. It'll still sell just as many because its been proven that looking rugged and cool trumps MPG and ride quality and dependability (see wrangler).

And it would be cheaper!

I'll keep the tundra and drive the bronco 1 or 2 days a week most likely...
I think you are vastly over estimating the number of enthusiasts who drive these vehicles.
Just like the Wrangler Rubi...most people buying a new 4 door wrangler rubi will never take it off road. They want it to look cool and for the impression /status symbol thats its a capable offroader.
But if it didnt have the soccer mom creature comforts they'd move on and not buy it.
Lack of tech is a barrier to market entry.

Why dont they offer more options? Im assuming youve never set up manufacturing or tooling for multiple options...I think the customize-ability of the bronco is going to prove a logistical nightmare as is.

I enjoy driving my manual Tj & my manual '86 F150 when playing off-road, driving in my off-time.

My '17 F150 auto (because I couldn't get a manual) gets me down the interstate 100-miles a day to work just fine - if I bought a new Bronco, it would not get me to work daily, just on special occasions, etc.

Manuals just make me fucking happier when I am on "my" time.

BTW, I like crank windows, too.

Using the k5 as a daily with the slow shifting 4spd and 5.3, I’ve just got a shit eating grin all the time. Like you can’t be in a bad mood, I don’t answer the phone or text while driving it, and I enjoy it. I really should get the brackets to put AC back on it. I know it would be faster with a 4L80e, cheaper than a nv4500 swap, and I can cruise at 80. Now if that makes you feel less manly than me, that’s on you. It’s just the struggles of being one of the poors with two vehicles you’re building.

Dont get me wrong. I love driving a manual. When I was fixing up the mustang I spent 3x as much to put the 5 speed in as I would have to go back auto. And I smile every time I power shift and break the ass end loose going into 2nd...or 3rd...or even once 4th...but I digress....but that's the difference between a pleasure vehicle and a commuter.

To me, this is marketed as a weekend warrior commuter.

ALright about to head out to an afternoon of meetings. Enjoyed the debate.

I have to ask..what is the appeal to a manual in a truck platform?
I dont get it.
Years ago when autos were slow shifting and power robbing and prone to failure..I got it. Sort of. Even then my inclination was to "build a better auto".

I get the fun to drive factor in a sports car. But I honestly dont get it in a truck. Why would you want it?

Does it somehow make you more manly to grab a stick and tug on it?
Control. And efficiency. That's enough for me. Add in the fact that its more fun to drive. I drive my automatic car and truck in manual mode about 98% of the time. But they still piss me off in manual mode because they do automatic shit that doesn't make sense. Truck will downshift automatically, but then sometimes starts in 3rd gear even after coming to a complete stop, which is dumb. Car will not shift out of 1st gear in manual mode until you cross about 3k rpm, even though it makes max torque at about 2k rpm. So I switch it to D at a stop, then once it shifts to 2nd at 1800rpm in D, I switch it back to manual mode.

I think a big part of it for me is that by "them" forcing automatics on me, it implies that I am too dumb to shift my own gears, especially when they give me the capability and still restrict the shit out of it. I understand the reasons (dumb people and warranties), but that doesn't change how it applies to ME, and how I hate that the world is becoming ever more tailored to the lowest common denominator.

I've worked on manufacturing issues, from design to the assembly line. I get the less options mind set there. The buyer can add all the stuff they want after the sale. (see wrangler)
However, they are already providing a manual trans option, just hook it to the V6 as well and the line worker will stab it in. There is already a different ECU for the 4 and 6 cyl. They could have even designed the motor and trans mounts to be the same with auto and manual. This was a 100% new build, they could have built it anyway they wanted.
I get the manual trans means no/less GOAT modes....but is that really why people will buy a Bronco? Because there is a sand/snow/water traction control option? I just can't believe that. They are buying because of the looks and the personal touches they can add, and yes, its still very capable even without a terrain selector.
Creature comforts are a given....no one would buy with manual locks and doors and no AC....that stuff is too ingrained.
But advocating for a less techy/digital vehicle is no way asking for a Model T.

Still holding out hope. Its a year out, and Porsche listened on the 992. Seeing what Jeep does with the V8 wrangler (and what trans it gets) will be a huge tell.

I believe there is no "stripped down" version because everyone would expect it to be much cheaper. They have to justify the inflated pricing of the vehicles and electronics/"comforts" are a way they do that. The altimeter/pitch/yaw gauges have been on the FX4 trucks for a number of years now, so alot of those sensors/programming isnt new.

The altimeter/pitch/yaw gauges have been on the FX4 trucks for a number of years now, so alot of those sensors/programming isnt new.

Yup. It's all tied into the traction control/airbag/roll control/ECM/etc sensor suite. Displaying them on the screen is easy.

Odd, I just watched a video that outlined the crawl ratios
Auto 57.2:1
Auto w. Electromechanical xfer 67.8:1
Manual 79.9:1
Manual w. Electromechanical xfer 97:1

The electromechanical apparently has a 3.06:1 vs 2.72:1 of the standard shift on the fly unit.....I thought the transfer case was going to be the limiting factor to a manual, base, sasquatch package......so if that isn't it, what gives? Do you just have to pay twice as much, or is something still omitted....lockers, 35's, ???

The electromechanical apparently has a 3.06:1 vs 2.72:1 of the standard shift on the fly unit.....I thought the transfer case was going to be the limiting factor to a manual, base, sasquatch package......so if that isn't it, what gives? Do you just have to pay twice as much, or is something still omitted....lockers, 35's, ???

Yeah, In order to acheive that 97.1 Crawl Ratio requires the Manual, 4.70 Axles, and ElectroMechanical Transfer case, I still haven't been able to figure out any configuration where you can get that...

The way I understood it was you can't order a manual transmission with the bigger engine. Transmission probably not rated for the higher output. Maybe I'm wrong.

The way I understood it was you can't order a manual transmission with the bigger engine. Transmission probably not rated for the higher output. Maybe I'm wrong.

You're correct, No Manual with the 2.7....

But the sasquatch package doesn't require the 2.7l....so I am trying to figure out what the limiting factor would be, and in what configuration you would get the 7 speed, the 4.7 axle ratio, the 3.06 transfer case.....and not have a glorified sasquatch package....does the advertised 97:1 crawl ratio only come without lockers.....or do you need the $60k badlands package? If so, who is going to shell out $60k and still have the smaller engine?

Self fulfilling proficiency....."no one will buy a full loaded manual transmission"....

But the sasquatch package doesn't require the 2.7l....so I am trying to figure out what the limiting factor would be, and in what configuration you would get the 7 speed, the 4.7 axle ratio, the 3.06 transfer case.....and not have a glorified sasquatch package....does the advertised 97:1 crawl ratio only come without lockers.....or do you need the $60k badlands package? If so, who is going to shell out $60k and still have the smaller engine?

Self fulfilling proficiency....."no one will buy a full loaded manual transmission"....

Unless they put check boxes on the order sheet specifically for axle ratio and TC, I don't even see a way to get those with the manual at all, let alone a manual with the 2.7. I don't really mind the smaller motor, it's got way more oomph than most of the stuff I've been wheeling for years

So, this happened today...

Wanting a base model 2 door with the Sasquatch package. Should be a great driver/URE rig

Edit- and I want an auto. Wheeled in enough manual transmission rigs. No thanks for me.

Screenshot_20200719-172519.png

Last edited:
Does it somehow make you more manly to grab a stick and tug on it?
From what I saw this weekend, an auto trans MAY prevent you from getting up the entry at Kairos as it overcooks. If you can unload a rig and make it, GREAT, but if you're pulling a massive 5th wheel..you have to wait for the logger to bring the skidder down to pull you up

From what I saw this weekend, an auto trans MAY prevent you from getting up the entry at Kairos as it overcooks. If you can unload a rig and make it, GREAT, but if you're pulling a massive 5th wheel..you have to wait for the logger to bring the skidder down to pull you up

9c905f0c8f7d5841f78b538800c4c3c8.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back