Brake rattle and bump stops on a 2500HD

EdJonesJeeper

The Stig's NC cousin
60,000 on my new to me '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax. In the last 7,000 miles I've replace the anti-rattle clips on the driver front disc 3 times now. The last batch I put in today actually had a coating on the back of them I got from duralast and I used the brake grease to lube the areas of wear on the old clips.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401567429.407516.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401567440.072009.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401567448.821537.jpg

Is there anything else I should do to extend the life of these clips and to silence the brake rattle?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401567473.571788.jpg

Also while I was under it I notice the bump stops were shot. After a trip to 5 different parts houses I finally had to go to the dealer and cough up $80 for new ones. Anyone else experiencing wear like this at 60,000?

Need to see if the wheel/ hub is running true on that side. Could also be lower quality replacement parts not fitting well.
As far as the bumpstops go, that's more an age issue (8 years old) than a mileage issue IMO.

Lemme know if I can help ya out bud

Have to replace bumps tops on 01 burb about every 60k. I get mine from ebay for about $55.

I'd check the wheel bearing and all of the brake components. As for the bumpstops, that's pretty normal for a GM. I've seen a lot of 1/2 tons that were actually sitting on the bumps from the factory, so they saw a lot of compression.

Yes, check bearing hub runout, raise wheel off ground, remove caliper, put wheel back on then wiggle in all directions ( the added leverage and distance from center will help you feel any movement in bearing, there should be NONE )

use OEM parts for the rattle clips, find Timken or Moog bearing hubs ( some places are fine for using cheap aftermarket parts, others not so much )

The "jounce deflector" is proper name for the bump stop, if you notice, at stock ride height, it is actually just in contact, if not just off of the control arm, it is normal, as is the wear and tear you are experiencing. , it is a wear item, might want to replace the shocks too

As for the bumpstops, that's pretty normal for a GM. I've seen a lot of 1/2 tons that were actually sitting on the bumps from the factory, so they saw a lot of compression.

The "jounce deflector" is proper name for the bump stop, if you notice, at stock ride height, it is actually just in contact, if not just off of the control arm, it is normal, as is the wear and tear you are experiencing. , it is a wear item, might want to replace the shocks too

As mentioned, the jounce bumpers are a wear item, integral to the torsion bar suspension. From the factory all trucks LCAs should be just in contact with them. Not sure which ones you went back with, but in 2008 when GM introduced the newer body style of trucks and added a "Z71HD" option they were equipped with poly jounce bumpers which are a direct bolt on replacement to the older body style trucks and last much longer. Also, I agree that the old foam bumpstops aren't so much an issue with mileage, as it is age, they are dry rotted.

Note the sharp point to the poly bumpers, that is so the ride under normal circumstances isn't much different than the standard bumpers due to less material at the end of the stiffer poly, but on a hard bump the poly bumpers do not crush as much as the original foam. I've replaced the stops in both of my old 2500HDs with these as the originals wore.
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f43_GCncsuHD_bumpstop20oem_01.jpg

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had no idea they were called jounce bumpers. I found it extremely odd that not a single parts house knew as high of a wear item as they are.

As far as the brake rattle for now, the duralast that do have the coating on the back seem to be doing well. I'll update and switch to factory GM if they continue to give me problems.

Keep an eye on those front wheel unit bearings. They do get sloppy. And when they do wear out, pony up for the better replacements as the cheap ones go even faster than OEM.

Back