Brake pedal slow to return

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers' started by Clubbs, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Clubbs

Clubbs Well-Known Member

My 05 Cummins brake pedal comes back slowly. Not a big deal unless pulling a trailer with electric brakes. I replaced the hydoboost and no change. Flushed the power steering fluid and the brake fluid - no change. While doing the brake fluid the front left seemed restricted so replaced that line - no change. Master cylinder had blow by anyway so replaced that - no change to the slow pedal return. Put new front pads on cuz they needed it - no change to the slow pedal return. Pretty sure the booster is responsible for how quickly the pedal returns, and the one I bought was a rebuild from advance. Anyone have any other ideas before I put another booster in it?

2. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid How's your hammer hangin'?

Calipers stuck? Caliper slide bolts maybe? It appears that nobody makes a NEW hydroboost for them anymore, so it kinda looks like you're stuck with remans, unfortunately.

3. Chris_Keziah

Chris_Keziah Joe Dirt

Sounds like you've got a bad booster. Slow brake pedal return would be due to lack of pressure in the system with the pedal applied.

4. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid How's your hammer hangin'?

I'd be tempted to cruise the face list and craig's space to find a wrecked truck to snag one off of maybe. I'd guess there could be a chance that the power steering pump is weak too, right?

5. Clubbs

Clubbs Well-Known Member

Maybe, but brakes and steering seem fine, it's just the return is slow. Pretty much returns the same as the master cylinder piston retracts. There is no assisted return from the booster. Replacing the booster the first time didn't change a thing... And they're not cheap, but neither is a power steering pump.

6. VortecJeep

VortecJeep Powered by Uranium-235

School me on the relationship between the steering pump and brakes please.

rodney eppes likes this.
  7. Ron

Ron Dum Spiro Spero Moderator

Hydro boost. Hydraulic brake boost as opposed to more common vacuum boost

8. Tim C

Tim C Wizard

Straight from my old textbook, probably the booster.

Also make sure the pedal moves free. If its pivot is rusty or dried out it'll make the pedal slow too.

Attached Files:

shawn, Caver Dave and Jody Treadway like this.
  9. rodney eppes

rodney eppes Well-Known Member

I have better pics somewhere, but here is one. The Hydro unit, is behind the MC, where the vacuum booster usually sits. Boost is by hydraulic pressure, from the power steering pump. That's the extra PS lines you see, that tie into the PS.

Attached Files:

10. a_kelley

a_kelley mechanical fixer

Pump -> booster -> steering

What pressure the booster does not need is fed to the steering. If you get on the brakes hard enough, you'll lose steering (also can be a sign the pump is failing). Both have seperate fluid returns to the reservoir.

Croatan_Kid likes this.
  11. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

This. I've never had this problem with a hydroboost truck, but I've had vac boosters that got replaced every winter because they were cheap ass A-1 Cardone rebuilds and only lasted about a year before the pedal wouldn't come back up on its own.

Chris_Keziah likes this.
  12. Clubbs

Clubbs Well-Known Member

Replaced the booster with another one from advance. Turns out it's a lifetime warranty so its "free". Regardless this one is worse than the first one... Which I could buy a new one.

13. a_kelley

a_kelley mechanical fixer

Their power steering pumps suck too. Can't get one at the dealer?

14. Clubbs

Clubbs Well-Known Member

Maybe, just figured I would try another one since it's a life time replacement thing. But may have to go to the stealership next