Brake Controllers

YJJPWrangler

2007 Tundra 5.7 towing a 18ft(16+2) Lawrimore trailer(3500x2 axles with brakes).

I do have the wiring harness for the brake controller that plugs into the stock toyota wiring harness. But I want to get the trailer brakes working and I do not have a brake controller. This is my first trailer but I am not new to towing.

What should I be looking for in a brake controller? My only experience running brake controllers was an old guys advice to set them so they would hold the truck/trailer combo when the truck is in idle. So little to no experience.

Any suggestions? A quick google search leads me to the Prodigy P2. Any others that I should be looking at?

I have the P3 in my old tow rig, and used the Voyager before that and kept it in the glove box as a backup. You can't go wrong with anything from Tekonsha IMO.

Duane

Prodigy P3 is what I run and it's by far the best controller I've ever had. Way smoother than the time based controllers I've had in the past.

I have a factory one now in my f250 but my old truck I ran a p3. It's awesome. I prefer an inertia controller over a time based. My first one was time based and it always either too much or not enough brakes, dragging the truck or pushing. And if you set it for smooth brakes for normal stops it'd push the truck in a panic. With a properly adjusted inertia style the truck stops smooth, no matter panic or not because it'll brake harder the faster you slow down.

Trailer Brake Control - Proportional

I got one of these in a pinch a while back and it’s been awesome. I’ve got one in my truck and my dad has one in his too.

I have no personal experience with the prodigy or p3 but I’ve heard a lot of good about them. I’ll probably look into them when I get my next one just to compare.

Another P3 fanboi here...
I've found that once the rough adjustments have been made, it makes life very nice regardless of trailer, load (or loack of) not needing to be fiddled with like my old crap... have swapped between 3 different trailers and touched nothing

P3 here, I was very impressed with it, plug and play, and I even really like the brake lever mounted underneath the controller, instead of the squeeze button most controllers come with.....maybe this isn't a new thing and I am just out of date.

Back