Bourbon

@UTfball68
Just want to know how to use it to make a bottle of Johnnie Walker taste like a McCallans 18yr. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Here's a little secret I learned long ago...if you drink enough of it, it all tastes the same.

To truly change the profile of the drink, you’re looking at 2+ years unless you get fancy with sonic turning and then you can expedite the process.
this was kinda my point. Thinking you'd really change the flavor of something whose "growth cycle" is on the order of many years, in a few weeks seems similar to slightly opening the air filter on a V8 to unleash all it's bottled up power....

Personally I think this would be a fun, awesome thing to do. I just wouldn't have the patience to wait and see what it did... I'd probbaly have to send the barrel out to be locked up somewhere I couldn't get to it ;-)

Although, taking weekly sips along the way would be kinda cool too.
Could I get one w/ a timer lock? Slow release valve that opens just enough for 1 pour every Friday night?

this was kinda my point. Thinking you'd really change the flavor of something whose "growth cycle" is on the order of many years, in a few weeks seems similar to slightly opening the air filter on a V8 to unleash all it's bottled up power....

Personally I think this would be a fun, awesome thing to do. I just wouldn't have the patience to wait and see what it did... I'd probbaly have to send the barrel out to be locked up somewhere I couldn't get to it ;-)

Although, taking weekly sips along the way would be kinda cool too.
Could I get one w/ a timer lock? Slow release valve that opens just enough for 1 pour every Friday night?
Yeah we will see, I'm going to buy two bottles maybe single barrel so I can compare original, and weekly tasting will be in order. But then I guess I have to dilute it with more original as I pull from the barrel. Supposedly as stated above since the surface area to volume is greater, it "ages,changes, enhances ..." it quicker. I haven't done much research but I'm excited about it too.

Years ago, my parents bought two discarded barrels for decorating their wine cellar. They threw them in the back of their SUV and drove home. One leaked a little since the bung hole was facing down and the car smelled great for a while :D

I went to visit them and they asked if I could move them into the cellar. I grabbed the hand truck and picked one of them and heard a slosh. I told my mom to grab a bowl and I pulled the bung and laid it over and this black liquid came out. We grabbed some cheese cloth and filter it several times and ended up with 2 bottles of bourbon. there was some stamping on the barrel, but nothing that said "Jim Beam" or "Jack Daniels" or any sort of branding. I took the info and ran it through Google and came up with Heaven Hills Fighting Cock Bourbon. It was damn good and I always wondered how long that little bit sat in that barrel and aged. I don't recall if there was a date on it.

As for my choice, I used to be a Single Malt guy. Had to lay off the whiskey, apparently it makes me not so nice and I enjoy it a little too much.

Evan Williams bonded if I’m being cheap

Old grand dad 114 is I feel like spending more money

If I see it then I’ll get Henry McKenna 10 year

It’s a sippin’ night.

DADD6CBF-63BE-438A-8CB3-4EB1B0F42AC8.jpeg

Not sure if I’ve said it before...but Clyde Mays is my ‘every day drinker’...good enough by itself, cheap enough to mix and easy enough to find I don’t mind if me and my buddies kill a couple bottles...

A5C3387D-4080-49C8-9B63-9BA4B2092D9D.jpeg

Really digging this rum recently...
429239C6-4599-4602-ADB0-2DD62F4236F8.jpeg

And the scotch guys will probably laugh, but actually found something I enjoy drinking...
47132489-C288-411A-A92F-113A9C5E5C63.jpeg

What time should I show up?

edit was meant for @nofries but will work for either I suppose

We usually start drinking about 3 in the office on Fridays. You are more than welcome to stop by.

A friend has been working for a few years to get his distillery off the ground... He still had a long road, but these three can be had at some ABC store, and the rest by request.
b310644d4220e6f8946b309e193b6aef.jpg

Not sure if I’ve said it before...but Clyde Mays is my ‘every day drinker’...good enough by itself, cheap enough to mix and easy enough to find I don’t mind if me and my buddies kill a couple bottles...

View attachment 317248

Really digging this rum recently...
View attachment 317249

And the scotch guys will probably laugh, but actually found something I enjoy drinking...
View attachment 317247

We have a Speyburn 10 on the shelf that's quite nice with an ice cube or two. We have a Glen Moray 12 that's a little smoother, in my opinion. The Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are also Speyside malts.

Near Carowinds, Stateline liqour on Hwy 51.
Angels Envy, cases of it at a great price!
253327db1b8f875b612f3d2be1221fcb.jpg

Saw this...usually don’t like brandy and I usually don’t like blends. Not sure why I got it...but ended up being pretty good. Had to let it breathe a little to tone it down. But a fairly priced bottle.

Edit...upon further review, this is Metallica’s (yes, that Metallica) concoction.

8249142D-23BB-451D-A36A-FC70D901DECB.jpeg

Last edited:
Dont want to ruin a good bourbon thread with a rum request but.. i am a bourbon drinker and have tried many suggestions from this thread, how ever my best friend is turning 30 and mostly drinks rum. I don't know squat about rum except as strong as you can drink Bacardi daiquiris, what would be a good bottle to buy this gentleman?

Dont want to ruin a good bourbon thread with a rum request but.. i am a bourbon drinker and have tried many suggestions from this thread, how ever my best friend is turning 30 and mostly drinks rum. I don't know squat about rum except as strong as you can drink Bacardi daiquiris, what would be a good bottle to buy this gentleman?

I can’t stand English rum...always tasted bitter and sour to me. So I stick with Caribbean rums. Hasn’t been a run on good rum (like scotch or bourbon) so You can get good bottle for sub-$50. My go to has been Bumbu rum for about 2 years now. I prefer the original to the XO, but the XO is sweeter.

Edit...and my wife really likes Kill Devil rum (pecan flavored). She’ll drink it straight...it’s really pretty good, and made in the OBX...I actually had one of my bachelor parties there.

More from the experience of being on Tortola and bribing my way into a nicer vacation hut with it, I fell in love with Pusser's Rum. First rum I could drink straight and enjoy it like a bourbon or single malt (although those tastes came later). No idea if it's considered a quality rum or not, but I like to keep a bottle around.

Back