Big John: 1972 C30 2WD dually w/ 11' dump bed

I hadn't been keeping up with this thread, but I was going to say the r and g on the temp switch sounded like it was for a car with lights. R goes to red hot light, g goes to green cold light on lots of 60s cars that didn't have temp gauges. My 67 Ford Fairlane is like that. Cold light is on below 100 ish degrees, hot light comes on like you'd expect.

Lots of gm temp switches are set to 260 to 275 because they screw into the head usually and coolant temp is actually warmer there near the exhaust ports. 275 in the head is about 245 to 250 at the thermostat, because it's still mixing with "cooler" water that isn't near the ports. And at 13 to 15 psi with proper antifreeze mix water won't boil til 275 or higher. An engine isn't technically overheated until the coolant is boiling, as long as it's still a liquid 275 coolant is cooling the much hotter metal, which around an exhaust ports can be way hotter. I understand the wanting the hot light to come on sooner, it does give a safety buffer, but that is GM's reasoning.

That makes sense...didn't even think about the old 'cold' lights! I still haven't found a spot for the temp switch yet, but I haven't messed with the heater core/defrost yet either so those will probably happen at the same time.

Not much of an update: Carb was freshened up with new gaskets, accelerator pump & needle/seat and now the battery has a cell shorted out & will not hold a charge. Due to get some freebies in October, so I'll play musical batteries with the F250 until then since I'm cheap. Planning on tinkering on it over the long weekend & hopefully start making progress on the heater core/defrost hoses.

A few updates:
~The new carb gasket kit did not do the trick so I started looking at an EFI carb setup. That snowballed into looking at HEI, a 4 barrel intake & a new fuel system to do it right to tune of $1,500. :shaking: Ended up finding a $15 tube of fuel resistant/carb friendly RTV that stopped the fuel leaks instead...99% off FTW!
~Battery freebies didn't happen since they got changed out earlier this year & I didn't get the memo. Couldn't have come at a worse time since the batteries on my F250 were starting to get weak & we're going into Winter. :kaioken: So for the first time in 8 years I had to buy batteries...first world problems, I know! Upside to that is no more musical batteries since I swapped in a weak diesel battery which spins the 350 over just fine!
~With the rain we've been getting lately I haven't wanted to drive it through my parents yard. Both my brother & I have made that mistake once & only once...dad wasn't too happy either time! Well, it was finally dry enough last weekend I went to pull it around since my folks gave their blessing to park the C30 beside the house instead of behind it. And because nothing ever goes to plan & the C30 has just been sitting the clutch was seized up again. :lol: Instead of pulling the trans, resurfacing the flywheel and replacing the clutch (I'd rather only do that once for a 5 speed swap), I'm opting for the cutting edge technology of wheel chocks, the parking brake & a 2x4 between the seat bracket & the clutch pedal! :rockon:

Earning the farm truck title with a bed full of split wood!
c2e80c929ce4ea3aa28666d58ddb5a15.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Have I ever mentioned how much this thing is just begging for a Cummins swap with something like a G56 6 speed behind it? It'd totally be a daily driver at that point.

Have I ever mentioned how much this thing is just begging for a Cummins swap with something like a G56 6 speed behind it? It'd totally be a daily driver at that point.
I'll put on the to-do list...just as soon as I win the lottery!

I'll put on the to-do list...just as soon as I win the lottery!

It might not be as bad as you think. Shoot me a pm if you want to get in contact with someone to spitball the numbers with. My buddy has done several Cummins swaps.

It might not be as bad as you think. Shoot me a pm if you want to get in contact with someone to spitball the numbers with. My buddy has done several Cummins swaps.
I'll definitely reach out if the sbc gives up the ghost, but right now I don't even want to put $1,000-$1,500 in it for HEI/EFI and I'm sure swapping the drivetrain would be more than that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well that all depends on how much of a Hebrew you can be! :D

Motor, trans, flywheel, and clutch would be the biggest expenses. However, being 2wd, the trans will likely be cheaper. Then the little odds and ends. A First Gen motor would be perfect for it and they're usually less expensive. I'd even say it'd be good with a non-intercooled one for simplicity. We're talking 4 wires to make it crank, run, and cut off. I'm really trying to plant this seed, nourish it, and watch it grow :driver::smokin:

Last edited:
Well...after my brother got done splitting wood he brought it back to my parents and it promptly died as soon as he pulled in the driveway. Apparently it died 2-3 times in the 7 mile trip, so he wasn't happy! He walked up to the house, and told me 'something's wrong with that truck, its running rough and has to have some choke just to idle'. It turned out 2 spark plug wires were loose enough I'm not sure they were giving full voltage (if any) to the plugs and another was completely disconnected so it was running on 5-7 holes...not good either way & not sure why he didn't check it, but an easy fix. It still needed choke just to idle so I wanted to check the timing & try my hand at tuning the carb. My dad had tuned the carb by ear since I'd never really messed with carbs before & he's 90% deaf in one ear from a welding accident so I was hoping there was something left on the table. Turns out it was running at ~2* BTDC so I advanced it to ~7* BTDC and tuned the carb with a gauge and was able to increase the vacuum from 17 to 20 at idle (the old man wasn't too far off!). It cranks much easier/faster now and no longer spits, sputters & pops when coasting down hill so I kicked myself for not checking the timing while messing with the ignition, but at least its fixed now!

I seem to remember 8* being normal, but that was with later stuff that had HEI and what have you. I know 7 will be way better than 2.

I seem to remember 8* being normal, but that was with later stuff that had HEI and what have you. I know 7 will be way better than 2.
Everything I could find said 6-8* for carb & 10-12* for HEI and I hit 7* on the second try, so I tightened the bolt and called it good. I run 93 in it since it supposedly has additives/lubricants that are better for older engines, so I may advance it a bit more to 10*, but definitely don't want to start spark knocking!

That's what she said
:D all depends on how she wants to take it...pun definitely intended.
Thanks I needed a laugh this morning! Gotta love a 5 hour round trip to do 5 minutes worth of work!

I still don't think I have the carb 100% dialed...during the same drive it will idle anywhere from 600rpm to 1300rpm when I stop & it's stalled on me once after I idled down a long driveway in 2nd. Its not surging either, its almost like the idle is set different from one stop to the next...I think I need to really clean it out or swap it for HEI/EFI.
To add insult, I checked the mileage and it was getting 4.1mpg, but that was with a lot of idling/heat cycling and not much driving. Now that we're in nicer weather (i.e. - yard is dry), I've started putting more miles on it to get the actual mileage.
I did swap out the 2x4 for a youth baseball bat...serves triple duty as clutch de-sticker, dually tire checker & tennis ball launcher for the dogs. Also fabbed up a gun rack since I hope to be chasing longbeards next weekend!C30 gun rack.jpg

Forgot to mention that since everyone in my family is over 6', I adjusted the clutch pedal and put a 3" long 3/8" bolt to replace the rubber stopper so the pedal isn't at the dash panel...makes shifting much more comfortable!

Dad borrowed the C30 and did some spring cleaning on his shop with the goal to just take everything to the scrap yard and dump it without getting out of the truck. Wasn't in a great mood when they told him he had to unload everything by hand and then the truck just shut off on him. Had to be towed outside of the gate and started troubleshooting...apparently there is something intermittently wrong with the ignition and the carb idling issue is still there. Thankfully he got it back home when it decided to start acting right again, but neither of us have any idea what happened. I trust is less now and its pointless having a 3 ton yard ornament, so I'm looking more into the HEI/EFI swap.

20210515_112801.jpg

Picked up the axle @shelby27604 sent me and took it apart for the 4.10 gear, now I've just got to try and get a locker on the cheap without breaking out the welder!
Noticed the driver side valve cover gasket leaking, so I changed both and got that leak fixed....hopefully another heat cycle or 2 gets the smoking to stop! Also tightened the header pipe flanges to stop the exhaust leaks.

Well I just couldn't justify dropping $1,500 on HEI/EFI so I pulled the carb off and went through it again before I ordered a reman'd one. Found one jet completely clogged and the other about half clogged so I went with the cheaper option of a good cleaning instead. I took the carb all the way apart and put the pieces in a bucket of industrial solvent/carb cleaner for 2 days (agitating every few hours), washed all the parts off, brake cleaned/brushed off everything, flushed all the passages with carb cleaner again and re-assembled. I'm guessing the previous half-assed cleaning knocked some varnish or trash loose that clogged the jets? I blew out all the hard fuel lines, replaced all the soft lines in case the older ones were breaking down from ethanol and added an in-line filter that will be easier to inspect/replace vs the cartridge filter. Still need to fine tune the carb, but I don't have to rev or choke it to keep it running decent any more and the C30 is running better than ever!

Drove it to grandpa's Sunday for a cook-out since he turned 91 on Tuesday and offered to drive him around his place for 'old time's sake' and got the comment "it'd probably break down as soon as I got in"! Dad's plan was to take him to the hotdog place he likes on his birthday & I joked he could drive the C30 and grandpa immediately turned that down saying he wasn't the biggest fan of how it rode 30 years ago and probably wouldn't like it better after his motorcycle crash ~15 years ago!

Not too many updates since the carb rebuild (still running great!), but the last time I filled it up I got 5.2mpg. That is only 1mpg better than last time, but it sounds better if you say it improved by 25%!

Also got the headache rack finished up...middle is cargo/courtesy light & outside are brake/turn signals. Disregard the junk in the bed...apparently nobody cleans the bed out after they borrow it!
20210801_225502.jpg 20210801_225528.jpg

Last edited:
Promoted to temporary DD for my dad for 2-3 weeks while my F250 is in the shop with a bent clutch fork.
He let me borrow his Frontier since I didn't trust driving the C30 ~140 miles back to my house. I did finish up the last of the wiring (hopefully) by adding a ground jumper from the hood to the fender to keep the engine bay light from flickering. Also cleaned the windows and topped off the tank for him...got 8.2mpg this time!

Got my F250 out of the shop....pressure plate gave up the ghost & exploded! New clutch needs to be broken in before any towing so the C30 had to step up for food plot duty to keep the farm/hunt truck status. Was able to borrow the land owner's tractor in Concord, just had to haul my spreader, roller & sprayer...first time its been out of Stanly County in 15+ years!

17651.jpeg

With all good things comes the bad:
Got everything back to Albemarle and went to unload when the exhaust got much louder....dammit Bobby!

20210907_210504.jpg

Got my F250 out of the shop....pressure plate gave up the ghost & exploded! New clutch needs to be broken in before any towing so the C30 had to step up for food plot duty to keep the farm/hunt truck status. Was able to borrow the land owner's tractor in Concord, just had to haul my spreader, roller & sprayer...first time its been out of Stanly County in 15+ years!

View attachment 356752

With all good things comes the bad:
Got everything back to Albemarle and went to unload when the exhaust got much louder....dammit Bobby!

View attachment 356751
Luckily Rams horns arent that expensive these days

Back