Big Dogs Offroad (rant)

I have heard about the place and wanted to go for some time. But I find the website terribly confusing. This thread clears that up. Basically private events that must have I guide. While I get it, I disagree. Why not have a ride, only allow X amount of folks to sign up, and then just turn them loose in the park?

Not having a map seems like a possible safety issue to me. I mean you could get stranded and eaten by chucarabas or cotton mouthed rattle yotes.

but seriously, if it’s a big place that would be a concern without good trail guides or knowledgeable group. I’ve never used a map at BC, but it’s small enough to just walk out.

that said, I wanna go. :driver:

@nolajim

Looking back at this, I understand why people don't like the concept of having to ride in a specific group. However, the park is not massive from what I understand. Would it not be better to give your paying company a map of the place while placing trail guide types of individuals at intersections or main obstacles? Maybe the more hardcore rigs have the better experience at the cove :confused:

The place is massive, Don't know where you might have gotten the impression otherwise. It's 6000+ acres.

The place is massive, Don't know where you might have gotten the impression otherwise. It's 6000+ acres.

Which is even more of a reason to have a map. Realistically, what if the guide(s) become unresponsive from an incident, at 6,000 acres, how do they expect anyone to get out safely and in a timely manner??

Which is even more of a reason to have a map. Realistically, what if the guide(s) become unresponsive from an incident, at 6,000 acres, how do they expect anyone to get out safely and in a timely manner??

I don't speak for Big Dogs or the Cove and the decisions they've made. They've been running events there for over 20 years now and the rules haven't changed, if that's good or bad has nothing to do with me personally.

But that may all change this year, as Big Dogs is now owned by different people, so they might make different decisions now and change those rules, I dunno.

Also, Several people have said in this thread you have to go out with a Trail Guide, and that wasn't true, You just had to have two rigs and you could head out on your own, that may be changed this year too though.

I personally wouldn't venture far in any off-roading situation without someone who was at least somewhat familiar with the area.

I personally wouldn't venture far in any off-roading situation without someone who was at least somewhat familiar with the area.

Or at least a Map!

First time I ever went to Harlan I arrived on Thursday at 1pm and went out just me and a passenger. We grabbed a map and stayed on the main green trail just enjoying an easy sight seeing ride to get our feet wet. While that wasn’t wise to go out with only one rig, having a map made it possible to get there and back, and also let someone know where we were (or thought we were) based on the map.

If the guide has the map, and he becomes unresponsive, take his map.

FYI - you can go separately.
About 4 years ago(?) our club decided we'd had enough of the craziness of the BD events. Wanted to have something more family friendly. They talked to the actual owners of the Cove, arranged for our club to have our own weekend there. They've been going out a week or two after Spring fling ever since. No guides, nothing formal.

I have wheeled at Big Dogs events over the last 4 years and never had a trail guide.

The only complaint that I have is that the Cove Campground (not Big Dogs) charges per person for camping, not per camp site.

Back