Big Dogs Offroad (rant)

After finding out where this was, I just spoke with someone I know. The reply I got was "Was it Big Dogs? I'm not surprised."

Apparently someone burned one of the campground cabins there during an event. Stay classy.

But yes, the campground is not associated with Big Dogs; Big Dogs just rents the trail system out.

We held our annual Jeepster JAM there a few years back and found it to be a similar cluster fawk...
The Cove is a nice place, the owners were super nice, and the lake hit the spot for afternoon cool downs...

John from Big Dogs, did 1/2 of what he'd agreed to do and kept us waiting for over an hour for guides... we ended up cruising without them, but had several folks from NoVA/MD that know the trails

been twice; no map,no guide.

OP could have went back out and wheeled; just need to get back to camp w/o getting lost.

my tracks, maprika, maplets, even google earth/maps--all get it done...

OP could have went back out and wheeled; just need to get back to camp w/o getting lost.

I was going to suggest this. Turn one of these on and rock out. As long as you had cell service you're golden.

We held our annual Jeepster JAM there a few years back and found it to be a similar cluster fawk...
The Cove is a nice place, the owners were super nice, and the lake hit the spot for afternoon cool downs...

John from Big Dogs, did 1/2 of what he'd agreed to do and kept us waiting for over an hour for guides... we ended up cruising without them, but had several folks from NoVA/MD that know the trails

Next time I go to the Cove I will make sure I have people I have wheeled with before where we can stick together and go out and do our own thing. All the while run a plotting program on my gps so I can make my own map after the wheeling is over.

I did have a GPS kit app running on my iphone during the course of the day with no guide. I guess the real problem was I was now leading a group of people I didn't know.

There was a stock 4 runner on street tires, a brand new JK on 37s, another JK on 35s, and a lifted IFS yota on 33s. I was amazed the stock 4runner kept up in the rain. On top of that I am with my GF for her second trip off roading with me in my XJ with new mods I have not even tested yet, and now both her and I are spotting people or constantly looking behind us to make sure the people with no CB radios are continuing to move forward.

It was going on 4 pm, I made a decision to get to the trail that goes back to the staging area because when the planets are in line someone will have a complete break down before we can get off of the trail and it will be 8pm or worse when everyone gets out.

I know I wimped out a little not exploring more, but from my experience with the people in my group so far, and not knowing anyone I could turn to incase I got into a situation, I decided to get off of the trails the same way I came in.

Lessons Learned o_O

[QUOTE="NickMaul, post: 1442423, member: 10217"I was amazed the stock 4runner kept up in the rain. [/QUOTE]

Not the first person to say this! :D:flipoff2:

As an aside, I have gotten into teh habit of always showing up to events like this with a handfull of the little FRS handheld radios. Then just hand then out to folks to avoid this exact situation.

I think the concern, along with getting lost, is venturing on a 6 or 7 level trail with a 3 or 4 level group of vehicles. That could turn ugly fast.

^^^^^^ not ugly....an adventure!
I myself had thought about going at some time .For me,I'd be on 95 heading north in 20 minutes and what,one turn off the interstate and be close to the site?
I don't mind being a group's bitch to be led around and shown where to go a few times till i get the lay of the land. On the other hand,I'm almost 50 and ain't got time for a bad pilot and tail gunner either. No c.b.'s on either rig leading or tailing? Somebody did some piss poor plannin on that one. Sounds like somebody needed some schoolin on trail etiquite too. I wouldn't go to a big event up there but a smaller one...I wouldn't mind hitting it one time or two.

Maps? I remember when parks didn't have maps. When I lived in TX I wheeled three different large parks without maps. This was in the days before GPS was commonplace so we just figured it out. Trail gets too difficult? Back track!

Sucks about the experience, however. If you paid for a guide then you should get your money's worth.

I'm at pretty much every Big Dogs event at the cove, but have no actual association with Big Dogs Off Road, My group just hits the cove for all the events.

Maps are difficult to come by for all the reasons mentioned above, but they are out there on the net, most are a bit out of date, but still useful, I've never run with the BD trail guides, though I have occasoinally lead a few stragglers for BD.

The rating system is actually 1 to 11, and 4 should have been little more than fire trails, so there is another fail for your trail guide.

You really should let John Hunt, proprietor of Big Dogs know about your experience, I would be surprised if he didn't give you a full refund, and take action on the trail guide.

If anyone here is ever planning a trip to a Big Dogs event at the cove, and you don't want to chance this kind of debacle, you are welcome to run with my group, we have a variety of vehicles that run with us, and while we aren't stock freindly, most anything mildly modded will be able to keep up, we run 7 and 8 trails mostly....

and we even have maps we'll let you see :)

If anyone here is ever planning a trip to a Big Dogs event at the cove, and you don't want to chance this kind of debacle, you are welcome to run with my group, we have a variety of vehicles that run with us, and while we aren't stock freindly, most anything mildly modded will be able to keep up, we run 7 and 8 trails mostly....

and we even have maps we'll let you see :)

I was wondering if you would chime in. I was going to say there is one really good group I know that goes to every event. I need to make it up there at some point. Haven't wheeled with you guys in a while.

what's concidered mildly modded?

Fair question, I would use the minimal rig I wheeled there for years 99 TJ, Open/Open, 2 inch lift, 33 inch tires. We have a Cherokee that wheels with us, and up until this year, he was open/open 4 inches of lift on 31s... Being honest, if you wheel with us and either of those setups, you will get stuck, and/or take damage, But you'll have fun, and not get left behind.

I was wondering if you would chime in. I was going to say there is one really good group I know that goes to every event. I need to make it up there at some point. Haven't wheeled with you guys in a while.

Thanks! We try to be a good group :)

It's been quite a while you should get up here and wheel with us, it would be good to see you.

Adding a roll bar :lol:
suck it Rob! Mind yo bidnis.

Fair question, I would use the minimal rig I wheeled there for years 99 TJ, Open/Open, 2 inch lift, 33 inch tires. We have a Cherokee that wheels with us, and up until this year, he was open/open 4 inches of lift on 31s... Being honest, if you wheel with us and either of those setups, you will get stuck, and/or take damage, But you'll have fun, and not get left behind.
that's what I needed to know.A 7 trail is probably tops what I need to do with my rig.

@zuke thanks for offering that. Yes it is still frustrating looking back but it happened. I will try and contact John Hunt but I am surely not seeking a refund. Like others have said no one told me I could not venture around for myself.

Now that my maiden voyage is over and I know what I need to tweak fix, after I put on my winch I will feel better playing with the 5, 6, and 7 level trails with 35s, lockers, and plenty of armor. I will certainly post up in the upcoming events if there is a ride out at the Cove again!

ok, let me know if i can run 7's and 8's with you guys without tearing up much

97 jeep TJ
4.0 litre
stock axles open/open
3" lift (rusty's coil lift... no coil spacers)
long arm kit (rough country upgrade kit)
stock transfer case with stock slip yoke (haven't done the SYE yet)
33" goodyear duratrack AT's
big daddy offload high clearance front bumper with steering box reinforcement.
Bushwhacker flat fenders front and rear
Warn rock sliders (still need to be tied in at the frame)
Moog u-joints in driveshaft (had to change them so did the upgrade)

don't mind getting stuck, or taking any bypasses... but i don't want to take body damage... beating up the undercarriage isn't a big deal to me as that is what its for

ok, let me know if i can run 7's and 8's with you guys without tearing up much

97 jeep TJ
4.0 litre
stock axles open/open
3" lift (rusty's coil lift... no coil spacers)
long arm kit (rough country upgrade kit)
stock transfer case with stock slip yoke (haven't done the SYE yet)
33" goodyear duratrack AT's
big daddy offload high clearance front bumper with steering box reinforcement.
Bushwhacker flat fenders front and rear
Warn rock sliders (still need to be tied in at the frame)
Moog u-joints in driveshaft (had to change them so did the upgrade)

don't mind getting stuck, or taking any bypasses... but i don't want to take body damage... beating up the undercarriage isn't a big deal to me as that is what its for

Sounds like you would be fine, there are a couple places where you would want to take bypasses to stay out of the really big boulders, if you get those rock sliders tied into the frame, and don't mind scratching them up, you'd be pretty safe from body damage everywhere we go if you pick your lines carefully (And we help with that, if you let us know you want it), Do you have a winch? Because open/open you WILL get stuck some places, (not to worry, My TJ is now locked at both ends and on 35s, and I got stuck twice last weekend, everyone gets stuck once in a while!) most of us have winches, and will get you out if you get stuck, but you having a winch will make it quicker when the time comes...

Sounds like you would be fine, there are a couple places where you would want to take bypasses to stay out of the really big boulders, if you get those rock sliders tied into the frame, and don't mind scratching them up, you'd be pretty safe from body damage everywhere we go if you pick your lines carefully (And we help with that, if you let us know you want it), Do you have a winch? Because open/open you WILL get stuck some places, (not to worry, My TJ is now locked at both ends and on 35s, and I got stuck twice last weekend, everyone gets stuck once in a while!) most of us have winches, and will get you out if you get stuck, but you having a winch will make it quicker when the time comes...

thats what i needed to know!

the rock sliders get a coat of krylon flat black almost every time i get back from uwharri as i do drag them on stuff, i just got lazy and haven't welded them to the frame yet (on my to do list)...

as for the winch, it is on my "must have but never seem to find the money for cause i bought a new gun" list... (i own a gun shop in kernersville and can't resist the toy temptation)

i just started re fixing up the jeep as it isn't my daily driver and i would really like to start wheeling it again its been 2 years since i had it on the trail and i am feeling the itch again.. plus my kids want to go camping with a vengeance!

Sorry, but i didn't mean to hijack this thread.... i will let y'all get back to your regularly scheduled bashing of big dogs and start a build thread of my own LOL

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the list and I just came across this thread. I thought I'd give an update. Note - I've never been a guide or in any way directly associated with either Big Dogs or The Cove, but I have wheeled several times at The Cove and have camped at The Cove for almost 20 years.

The original post had and issue with trail guides, etc. I think, and hope we should see a change in 2020.

Big Dogs was recently purchased and is now called Big Dogs Family Offroad LLC. I have met the new owners a couple of times. The new ownership in 2020 (now owned by nice people who have guided some trails for many years with BD). I've met the new owners and I understand their objectives. First, I'll reiterate that Big Dogs is not an off road park. BD is an off road organization that leases the land for the events from the trail owners at The Cove Campground, Gore, VA. You can't drive up to The Cove and wheel on your own. The Cove owners do not allow or want random people/groups wheeling on their trails but only to specific groups and a few clubs. They do allow motorcycle and ATV wheeling from the public though.

I'm pretty sure the owners of Big Dogs is not in it for the money. They have a regular job and this more is about their passion for off roading. I think their goal is to make some great wheeling private trails open to the public. These rank among of the best trails on the US East Coast. I know someone posted that he would not go if they require a guide. I understand that. But if that's the case, this isn't really the place for you. On the other hand, I think you'll find and guides should be better than the experience described over 10 years ago (opening post date).

If you find problems such as guides are ill prepared or bail out early, I'm confident the new owners care enough to hear what's going on, so please let them know if you have that kind of issue. Guides are volunteers, but they get free entrance to events. If they're not doing what they need to do, they may be cut.

I'd love to see some of you NC4x4 guys on the trail sometime (not necessarily at Big Dogs, but it's a great place to wheel). I have wheeled several with some guys from an NC club over the past few years.

Thanks,
Jim
Virginia

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the list and I just came across this thread. I thought I'd give an update. Note - I've never been a guide or in any way directly associated with either Big Dogs or The Cove, but I have wheeled several times at The Cove and have camped at The Cove for almost 20 years.

The original post had and issue with trail guides, etc. I think, and hope we should see a change in 2020.

Big Dogs was recently purchased and is now called Big Dogs Family Offroad LLC. I have met the new owners a couple of times. The new ownership in 2020 (now owned by nice people who have guided some trails for many years with BD). I've met the new owners and I understand their objectives. First, I'll reiterate that Big Dogs is not an off road park. BD is an off road organization that leases the land for the events from the trail owners at The Cove Campground, Gore, VA. You can't drive up to The Cove and wheel on your own. The Cove owners do not allow or want random people/groups wheeling on their trails but only to specific groups and a few clubs. They do allow motorcycle and ATV wheeling from the public though.

I'm pretty sure the owners of Big Dogs is not in it for the money. They have a regular job and this more is about their passion for off roading. I think their goal is to make some great wheeling private trails open to the public. These rank among of the best trails on the US East Coast. I know someone posted that he would not go if they require a guide. I understand that. But if that's the case, this isn't really the place for you. On the other hand, I think you'll find and guides should be better than the experience described over 10 years ago (opening post date).

If you find problems such as guides are ill prepared or bail out early, I'm confident the new owners care enough to hear what's going on, so please let them know if you have that kind of issue. Guides are volunteers, but they get free entrance to events. If they're not doing what they need to do, they may be cut.

I'd love to see some of you NC4x4 guys on the trail sometime (not necessarily at Big Dogs, but it's a great place to wheel). I have wheeled several with some guys from an NC club over the past few years.

Thanks,
Jim
Virginia

I wheel with a regular group compiled of several jeeps and buggies from across several states. We avoid BD events. Had a poor experience with camping and showers, which led to poor satisfaction.

You pay a premium to wheel there compared to other places, yet amenities are lacking. Those are big issues before even mentioning a guide.

Most of the trails our group rides are the hardest the parks have to offer. We typically start with the hard trails and only escalate in difficulty as the weekend goes on. For several of us with limited schedules, we stick to this mindset to get the most return on our weekends in the woods.

That said, I would be totally angered, if I paid the premium, and was led to leaf looking trails with the intention to hit the harder stuff. That doesn’t include leaving the trails early.

I understand not wanting to wheel all night long, but we typically ride from 9am until 5,6,7,8,9,10 pm depending on how the day is going.

I know my comment is based on my specific group’s needs, but I think it represents several of the big issues that many other groups would face.

Choosing between big dogs, vs windrock,Harlan, ivy branch, rausch creek, bear wallow, aop, aoaa, etc. Big dogs never wins the argument, and rausch creek is also just above the bottom.

@nolajim

Looking back at this, I understand why people don't like the concept of having to ride in a specific group. However, the park is not massive from what I understand. Would it not be better to give your paying company a map of the place while placing trail guide types of individuals at intersections or main obstacles? Maybe the more hardcore rigs have the better experience at the cove :confused:

Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Jim
Virginia

@nolajim 1 minor point f clarification. This thread/post is from 2016. Not 10 years ago.

Back