Bias Ply or Radials

Ridgerunner

OK now I know radials are better tires for the Highway, But I am looking for a Trail Tire and since Bias are much cheaper are there any pros or cons for off road.

I am looking at 39" Iroks and this will be on my Trail Rig with very limited Hwy use if at all.

It is my understanding that the bias ply tires will perform better then the radials when aired down. They tend to deform better around the terrain and improve grip with a larger footprint.
I currently run boggers and desparately want to go to bias iroks if that tells you anything.

I don't buy the conforms better to the rocks argument.

The real reason to run bias ply tires on the trail is that bias ply Swampers are darn near indestructable.

BoltOnJohn said:
I don't buy the conforms better to the rocks argument.

The real reason to run bias ply tires on the trail is that bias ply Swampers are darn near indestructable.

I agree with John. Bias-ply tires are a lot thicker and heavier. In my experience they do NOT deform better than radials, because they have thicker sidewalls. I have to air down a Bias tire more than a radial to make it deform as well.

But the thickness it what makes them so good. Much harder to get a cut in a sidewall on a Bias than a radial. Sure does suck to slice a sidewall on an expensive tire. :)

Carl - if this is for your Cherokee you're building, or for your J-truck, get Bias. Both of those are heavy rigs, so Bias tires will deform fine because of the rig's weight. Now on a Samurai, that would be a different story.

thecarman said:
I agree with John. Bias-ply tires are a lot thicker and heavier. In my experience they do NOT deform better than radials, because they have thicker sidewalls. I have to air down a Bias tire more than a radial to make it deform as well.

But the thickness it what makes them so good. Much harder to get a cut in a sidewall on a Bias than a radial. Sure does suck to slice a sidewall on an expensive tire. :)

Carl - if this is for your Cherokee you're building, or for your J-truck, get Bias. Both of those are heavy rigs, so Bias tires will deform fine because of the rig's weight. Now on a Samurai, that would be a different story.

Yeah it is for the Cheokee

Dumb question #5,729: how can you tell just by looking whether they're bias or radials? Is there a marking on the sidewall, like the size?

Bias with steel belts - TSL/SX. Forkin unbeatable.

Trebissky said:
Dumb question #5,729: how can you tell just by looking whether they're bias or radials? Is there a marking on the sidewall, like the size?

Sometimes (all the time?) Radials have an "R" in the tire size. Like 235/85R/15. I'm trying to remember if the radials on the TJ or K5 say 33x12.50R15. I can look tonite.

There is a ply rating on the side of the tire - like "Tread 4 plies Sidewall 2 plies" or something like that. I can't remember if it gets more specific than that, and if it says "Radial" in there anywhere.

Rich said:
Bias with steel belts - TSL/SX. Forkin unbeatable.

X2

thecarman said:
Sometimes (all the time?) Radials have an "R" in the tire size. Like 235/85R/15. I'm trying to remember if the radials on the TJ or K5 say 33x12.50R15. I can look tonite.

There is a ply rating on the side of the tire - like "Tread 4 plies Sidewall 2 plies" or something like that. I can't remember if it gets more specific than that, and if it says "Radial" in there anywhere.

I thought it went 235/85/R15 and R meant "rim"?

if it is a # such as 235/85R15:

235 is the cross sectional width in millimeters
85 is used to describe sidewall height and is a percentage of the width (ie- the sidewall is 85% as tall as the tire is wide)
R means Radial-ALWAYS
15 is the rim size

A 38.5x14.50-16.5 for example is a bias ply tire therefore there is no "R" listed in the size

and im assuming everyone knows what the 38.5x14.50 part stands for :flipoff2:

Hope this helps

and BTW, when i used to work at a tire store, you would not BELIEVE the tire "sizes" people would come up with.... "yeah, can i get a 65r17 to go on my car?" "no, that size doesnt exist and you have 13 inch wheels" "but my cousin has some 65r17's on his car and he said they would fit" :rolleyes:

Trebissky said:

I know there are on some...my 36" Iroks say Radial on the side (fairly small...maybe 1/2" x 1-1/2")...

with the Iroks, it's fairly easy to tell visually, especially when they're side-by-side...the bias are very round, while the radials are more squared off...

radials on mine:

DSCN9196.sized.jpg

IMG_5164.sized.jpg

bias on a friend's rig:

IMG_2669.sized.jpg

...and then on his brother's after he sold him the tires:

IMG_4022.sized.jpg

both sets are 36x13.50

Greg

Trebissky said:

A radial will be marked 36x12.50R15LT vs a bias ply 36x12.50-15LT :smokin:

I used to run the Buckshot mudders in a bias ply, but now I am running 37" Irok radials. Here at Tellico, they have been fantastic on my YJ. The radials are great on the slick rocks, snow and red clay mud. I also drive mine on the road and they have great road manners. I will definately buy another set.

My 33x13.50 LTB's will be going on the Jeep sometime toward the end of the month. It'll be my first bias ply tire. Now that it's off-road only, I went with the LTB's for the more aggressive tread and the price. I'll let ya know.

I know we're talking about iroks here, but radial swampers (tsl's that is) are second only to the thornbird in terms of suck interco tires...just fwiw. Though, there are far more differences than just the belts between the bias and radial swampers.

I don't know about all that. I've seen radial TSL's perform pretty well. They're definitely better that the Trxus STS - if you're not in the sand, those tires suck!

linvillegorge said:
I don't know about all that. I've seen radial TSL's perform pretty well. They're definitely better that the Trxus STS - if you're not in the sand, those tires suck!

You're right. I was thinking "SSR" and typing "radial". :rolleyes: The Sts's are def gay, but they do the job they were built for decently--sand and show trucks. And my favorite is the ltb...I just wish they would make one in the 36-39 in range...without it beingn some goofy-assed width too.

Back