Beware of Jimmy Cleans Carwash!

Granny

One day at a time...
Last Tuesday morning (9/15) I took my old Dodge to Jimmy Cleans Car Wash on Jake Alexander Ave in Salisbury for a wash. Halfway through the line, a big boom, and the windshield visor was ripped out of the cab and laying beside the conveyor. All I could do was ride it out. Jimmy Cleans called me this morning and clam no responsibility and basically told me I am "shit outta luck". Maybe I am, but I will not hesitate to warn others. This truck has been washed at Sam's many times with no problems whatsoever. I had just happened to be at the VA that morning and Jimmy Cleans was on the way home. Never again!

First pic is of truck sitting in carport with visor perfectly intact. Next one is self explanatory... zoom in and look how nutserts were pulled out of the metal.

Attachments

• Truck_Cab-1.jpg
    Truck_Cab-1.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 340
  • Truck_Cab-2.jpg
    Truck_Cab-2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 348
As a fellow Dodge owner, all I can say is I am sorry.....too bad about the visor too!

In all seriousness, that sucks....squeaky wheel gets the grease and all....park across the street with a sign that says "this visor ripped off in Jimmys car wash".....I bet they decide to work with you a little.

If they accepted the truck into their wash as is, they accept the risk and should be liable for the damage if a waiver by the claimant was not given.
would just about bet they have a sign that says not responsible for aftermarket accesories and that you enter at own risk...

now whether that would hold up?
Who knows

They may need to look at changing the rotation of the top brush...

I would be burning their ass everywhere.

Last edited:
would just about bet they have a sign that says not responsible for aftermarket accesories and that you enter at own risk...

Who knows

They do...and also the reason I stay away from Jimmy’s, not the first time I’ve hear of this. Sam’s has a similar sign, but when my BIL’s passenger side mirror got ripped off similarly...they paid for the replacement.

Who knows

But, having a sign saying you aren’t liable does not waive you of your liability. It just keeps 95% of the people from complaining about damage.

It’s kind of like those dump trucks that have the stupid sign on them saying “stay back 300’ Not responsible for windshields”.

And, if they have an attendee there managing the entry, their waiver of liability claim quickly fizzles as one would expect the attendee would actually manage folks coming in if they have a vehicle which could be damaged by having aftermarket equipment. The car wash has an obligation to provide safe service to all who use it; if they can’t because of elevated risk due to, in this case a sun visors, it’s the car wash’s responsibility to not provide that service due to risk of damage.

if it’s a DIY car wash, then a sign outside likely is sufficient to provide reasonable waiver of liability, especially if you have aftermarket parts that could get damaged.

Last edited:
But, having a sign saying you aren’t liable does not waive you of your liability. It just keeps 95% of the people from complaining about damage.

It’s kind of like those dump trucks that have the stupid sign on them saying “stay back 300’ Not responsible for windshields”.

Oh agreed.
But one could argue...if the sign is there and it says enter at your own risk that by entering after reading the sign you have consented to the terms of the agreement...
Would it hold up in court?
How much you willing to spend to find out?

Oh agreed.
But one could argue...if the sign is there and it says enter at your own risk that by entering after reading the sign you have consented to the terms of the agreement...
Would it hold up in court?
How much you willing to spend to find out?

if you have a carnival fun house with a “enter at your own risk” sign and people fell into an actual fiery pit full of death spines and lost their life, is the owner liable? Or is he waived of liability because he simply has a sign posted?

is a sign posted reasonable notification of the risk?
Is the risk reasonable?
Did the owner of the car wash make reasonable accommodations to safeguard from damage?
Did the car wash owner abide by all necessary consumer laws and practices to provide a service that could be reasonably assumed to be safe?
Did the claimant actually waive a right to claim by entering?

In all seriousness, that sucks....squeaky wheel gets the grease and all....park across the street with a sign that says "this visor ripped off in Jimmys car wash".....I bet they decide to work with you a little.

THIS. They will lose more business than they would just paying to fix the damage, they would probably work something out. I totally would do this. I know that if I was going for a car wash and I saw that, I'd go somewhere else.

They may need to look at changing the rotation of the top brush...

I would be burning their ass everywhere.

The top brushes run in a specific direction for a reason depending on where it is in the tunnel and what solution applications come before and after it for optimal cleaning.

Also. Aftermarket accessories are far different from a mirror or rack that comes on the vehicle from the manufacturer. Friction washes come with some sort of risk. Ask any owner/operator, they’ll most likely cover any and all oem parts. Anything aftermarket and then it’s a judgement call.

I know this is the unpopular opinion around this crowd based on the previous responses. But this one lies solely on the owner/operator of the wash. At the end of the day the OP chose to run his truck with an aftermarket accessory through a soft touch wash that comes with some kind of risk. Almost every wash these days has a “no aftermarket” disclaimer. If Jimmy Cleans doesn’t have one, you’ve got a leg to stand on.

FWIW: a quick look and it looks like another one of these new cookie cutter express tunnels that are popping up all over the place. You’ll have to dig as to whether it’s a single investor or an investment group if you want to take the claim higher than the site manager.

Last edited:
I go to Jimmy's as well. I have a wind fairing that I noticed the first couple of times, when I was going through the dryers, I thought it was going to rip it off. I think that particular Jimmy's has re angled the dryers and haven't had a problem since.

Who said that was an aftermarket part? Doesn't look like a new vehicle 🤣 but didn't dealers offer them back in the day?

Bought the truck used. Don't have any way of proving it one way or the other. My word against theirs. I need a body shop. The small ones around my area are all gone, and the big ones are swamped with work.

If you are willing to bring it to Catawba Co, there's a local guy down the street that does good work.

Hillside auto paint and body​

1025 Balls Creek Rd, Claremont, NC 28610
(828) 244-5308

Didn't know people were still using 1987 style windshield visors still? Who drills holes into perfectly good roofs?
Someone who owns an older dodge where said visor (that was ruined and a total beotch to replace) is warranted to achieve the look of a truck. Same reason why a multi-tube roll bar looks good in the bed of a squarebody Chevy with some KC Daylighters on top. It’s creating a look representative of the vintage.
I would burn that place to the ground and given the current need to have and survive via the inter webs for so many I’d shame them into making it right using that digital power.

Well, I have some good news for a change. Don't have any ideas other than maybe some Devine intervention, but a few hours ago I spoke with the body man I have been waiting on and I am taking the Dodge to him today. The roof is going to get fixed. And more good news, regarding the leaky injection pump mentioned here: https://nc4x4.com/forum/threads/1st-gen-dodge-cummins-ve-injection-pump.199922/ I have the leak fixed, added a 3200 RPM governor spring, rotated the fuel pin and re-adjusted all associated adjustments. WOW!... It's still just a turned up stock 1st gen, but what a difference! This truck has never ran this good! To quote Dr. 'Dre, "I feel blessed, life is good!" Thanks for lettin' me borrow that line Doc! :D

Back