Betsy's Build

I got the inner C welded over at ECGS a couple of months ago-
Inner C Welded.jpg

Tonight, I finally installed the knuckles, spindles, rotors etc to see how it all looks.
Axle at new width.jpg

My axle is a 88-91 Ford D60. I wanted to cut it down from 69.5" to 67.5" to match the rear 14 Bolt (and to move the diff slightly to the center since it off set so much). Thanks to Chase at ECGS he gave me the idea to cut it down a little more than 2 inches so that I could use a stock length shaft from a 78-79 axle. In the picture below you can see that the shaft from a 78-79 (Thanks Steve!) fits great in my axle housing. The axle shaft engagement with the spider gear in the housing is perfect.
Diff_axle_engagement.jpg

Brought home a nice addition tonight- actually 5 of them. 40x13.5x17 MTRs (old style). I have been looking for about a year for some used 39"-40" radial mud terrains. Finally found these from Hoyt 4x4 in Florida.
Tires_in_Truck.jpg

Here they are next to the jeep.
Tires_next_to_jeep.jpg

Shot from the rear next to 35" BFG AT's.
Tires_next_to_bfg.jpg

Got some parts in this past week-

Rear Control Arm Tube Inserts
Control Arm tube inserts.jpg

Rear cross member brackets- these will allow me to remove the center section between the frame rails.
crossmember brackets.jpg

Rear upper control arm brackets
Rear Upper bracket.jpg

Front Upper Shock Tabs
shock tabs.jpg

Sparetire mount. Anybody know where I can get 1 used H2 wheel for my spare??
spare tire mount.jpg

Got some slighty used Staun 17x9 beadlocks today. Only took me 10 months to find some. With Staun being out of business they are very hard to find (new or used).

4 of the Staun Beadlock Cases
Staun_Carcass.jpg

5 of the Inner tubes
Staun_Tubes.jpg

I picked up a single Staun beadlock about a month ago, so I have a full set of 5.

Can't wait to see you get started on this. Let me know as I owe you some wrenching time from all the help on my boat sides and our ECORS rig.

Went over to Ken's yesterday and got the MTRs installed on the H2s with the Staun's. A big thanks to Ken and John for their help. Installing Staun's is probabaly doable by 2 people but much easier with 3.

All four.jpg

Single.jpg

New gas tank came yesterday- Genright Comp.
gas_tank_in_box.jpg

gas_tank_out_of_box.jpg

I'm about ready to put the Jeep up on jack stands and actually get started. Really just need to use up most of the fuel in the existing tank and take some more measurements before I change anything. Too bad I am out of town the next three weekends...

Got some more parts this weekend. I put a quick coat of primer on them.

Tracbar brackets, heims and 1.5" DOM from Ruff Stuff
trackbar_brackets.jpg

tracbar_heim_joints.jpg

Rear Frame Control Arm Mounts from KORE
Rear_frame_mounts.jpg

I also got the steering kit from Ruff Stuff- one ton rod ends and DOM

Last weekend, we went for a ride at Uwharrie to get one last ride in before I tear Betsy apart. This weekend I cleaned the jeep (so I wouldn't have dirt falling in my eyes) and cleaned the garage some. I went ahead pulled out spare parts to get them posted for sale. I double checked all of my measurements so that I have a good record of where my jeep was at before I changed anything. This afternoon, I removed the swaybar disconnects and I do not plan to run the stock swaybar so I removed that as well. I removed the bumper and winch to get them out of the way.
20110731_1.jpg

The build has officially begun. Later this week I will put it up on jack stands at where I would like the ride height to be. Then, I can remove the axles and really get moving.

Finally got the jeep up on jack stands. This is at the max ride height. It won't look as high once I get the 40s on it. I hope to be able to get it lower. However, 40" tires and running 6" of bump on 14" ORI's will make it tricky. If you have any tips or things that I need to look out for then please let me know. I appreciate any and all input.

20110806_1.jpg

Removed the steering
20110806_2.jpg

Back