Best way to go at steering cracked frame rail XJ

NickMaul

I'm am 95% positive the frame rail connected to the steering box is cracking. I can feel the cracks and pops in the steering wheel. What is the best way to go and permanently repair this?

Can you see the cracks? Mine was popping and cracking and making all sorts of racket but it was just a busted steering box..
If the cracks are visual, I would look into the steering box plates from TnT or C-Rok and weld them on.

Also check the track bar bracket where it mounts to the unibody. They tend to work loose and make the same noise.

x2 on the trackbar brakcet. Have someone saw the wheel back/forth, watch for track bar bracket flex or movement. Crank down the bolts (I think its 4 on the side and 2 on the bottom), lots of people tack the bracket to the unirail.

you think for a quick true false test i can undo the track bar at the axle and turn the steering wheel and if there are no pops/cracking noises i can presume it is the bracket? if it continues to pop/crack with the track bar dismounted i can presume it is the steering area

Instead of actually removing any bolts, why don't ya do like the others have said and have someone crank on the wheel and get under there and look at things. Work smarter, not harder.

Do not do that!!!! You will get yourself or someone else hurt.
you think for a quick true false test i can undo the track bar at the axle and turn the steering wheel and if there are no pops/cracking noises i can presume it is the bracket? if it continues to pop/crack with the track bar dismounted i can presume it is the steering area

I don't quite see the danger in that. I've done it every time I need to reattatch my track bar :/

He may have been thinking you were going to drive it that way.

Anyway they told you what to do to diagnose it. Do that.Many can see the cracks.

To fix it:

Weld it up and plate it to fix it inner and outer frame rail and bottom. Also the track bar area.

Look at the hdoffroadengineering frame braces.

I don't quite see the danger in that. I've done it every time I need to reattatch my track bar :/
The trac bar is what keeps the body balanced on the front springs. If you unhook it without the frame being supported by jack stands it can fall over, especially if you're turning the wheel back and forth. Very dangerous!

Back