Best Pancake Recipe

trailhugger

Human Resources
Administrator
These are, by far, the best pancakes I've ever had or made. The pioneer woman wins another point in our house. "Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes"

IMG_20140503_074922_122.jpg

Well I made a double batch of these this morning, and thy were tasty, but a lot more 'ordinary' than I expected. Once the kids got past the fact there were no chocolate chips in there :eek:ops:, they were fine. Maybe I'm not as good a cook as Mommy, but they said hers were better. My oldest said they tasty eggy, and I agree, they were a little more French toasty than regular pancakes. That's not a bad thing, just an observation. Not sure if we'll have these again, the big downside is that we no longer have sour cream in the house. Thanks for sharing!

My basis for comparison is the Bisquick pancakes my mom has always made... which were always overmixed and end up flat, not fluffy. Every other 'scratch' recipe I've ever tried tastes way boring and bland and, really, most restaurant pancakes aren't any better because they're cooking mass quantities.

I've found that beating the eggs and adding the sour cream to them, then mixing the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and adding it all to the egg/sour cream bowl helps mix them without overmixing them. Might also help avoid 'eggy' spots. Then again, I really like eggy french toast. :lol:

I also just reread the recipe at the link and realized it lists 2 Tablespoons of sugar, whereas the recipe in the book calls for only 1. That may be another part of your French Toast flavor. I also ran out of vanilla extract and so used a 1/2 tsp of coffee instead, I think I like that better.

I also cook mine on a stainless skillet with basically no butter, but I butter the hell out of them when I take them out and put them on a plate. That stack in the photo is all buttered up and ready for maple syrup. :D

I've modified my recipe. It's a little more complicated but results in fluffier pancakes:

1.5 c Flour
2 T sugar
1t baking soda
1/2t baking powder
1/2t salt

1 c sour cream
3/4c milk
1T melted butter
1t coffee
3 eggs

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Blend dry into wet and stir only until mixed. Drop spoonfuls (about 1/3c) onto hot greased pan/griddle. Enjoy with butter and real maple syrup!

I've changed up my diet a little but still love pancakes. So, I just replace the flour with fine coconut flour and the sugar with agave or raw honey and use non fat plain Greek yogurt. Still pretty darn good. :)

Box mix has nothing on scratch, either recipe I've used melt in your mouth. You can even make it in batches ahead of time and just add the wet ingredients.

my son has egg allergies, so we replace the eggs with apple sauce. They dont rise or stick together as well, but argueably taste better.

Once, we had some leftover apple spice cake batter, so mixed that in 50/50 and they were likely the best Ive had.

I've got a recipe for pancakes that calls for buttermilk. I used to end up tossing the leftover buttermilk. Did a little research and a few tablespoons of white vinegar will make a cup of milk taste like buttermilk. Less waste, same taste!

I keep it simple. Use a pancake mix (preferably stone ground/organic) and instead of water, use unsweetened tea. Adds a nice flavor.

Protein pancake mix with ground nutmeg, cinnamon, tiny dash of cayenne and Vanilla extract add a lil bit of milk and bam! Healthy smack ya momma pancakes.

My wife convinced me to try these..."Bob's Mill 7 grain organic pancake and waffle mix" and I have to say I'm hooked. I'm used to pancakes that taste like Denny's or waffle House but these taste like I grew and ground the 7 grains. Very good with a full wholesome flavor. I prefer them with real maple syrup, pecans and Aldi butter. That Aldi butter is intense butter flavor.

Last edited:
I woke up this morning to the wails of hungry children who wanted pancakes. I was feeling a bit lazy and not interested in spending forever making a bunch that would end up in the freezer, so tweaked the recipe again.

1c flour
2T powdered sugar
1t baking soda
1/2t salt
1/2t cinnamon
dash ginger & nutmeg
2 eggs
1 c whole milk plain yogurt
1/4c milk
1/2t coffee
1/2 ripe banana

Medium hot pan with coconut oil. They fluffed up nice and tall and tasted like @Paul's favorite banana bread. ;) Served up with sausage and fried eggs.

I've got a recipe for pancakes that calls for buttermilk. I used to end up tossing the leftover buttermilk. Did a little research and a few tablespoons of white vinegar will make a cup of milk taste like buttermilk. Less waste, same taste!
Lemon juice works as well.

dows it curdle the milk?
Yeah, the acid from lemon juice or vinegar curdles the milk.

My neighbor works for a flour product manufacturing company, they use milk with lemon/vinegar for all their testing.

Back