Beer brewing ?

1980CJ7

If it don't go, chrome it
Any of yall brew your own beer?
I don't know much about it but I been thinking about givin it a try
:)

Actually, i'd like to brew some whiskey too, but I understand that it's illegal to own a still :(

Steve

iirc it is not illegal to own a still, it is illegal to sell non tax paid alcohol. You can make a certain amount for personal consumption, although I tried to find the laws and couldn't so i could be wrong.

Any of yall brew your own beer?
I don't know much about it but I been thinking about givin it a try
:)
Actually, i'd like to brew some whiskey too, but I understand that it's illegal to own a still :(
Steve
Yeah, I brew my own. Been homebrewing for about 5 years now. It is a lot of fun, and just as addicting as 4x4ing. If you have any questions let me know. I try to brew at least once a month. Next time I brew a batch you are more than welcome to come and check out how I brew....:beer:

Yeah, I brew my own. Been homebrewing for about 5 years now. It is a lot of fun, and just as addicting as 4x4ing. If you have any questions let me know. I try to brew at least once a month. Next time I brew a batch you are more than welcome to come and check out how I brew....:beer:

I'd like to "jones" in on that also! I've read a bunch, but still have questions...

Do you bottle or keg?

Most of the time I keg, but when I enter by beers in competitions or travel with it I bottle it.

Try a product called Starsan, an ounce to 5 gallons of water and let them soak for about 3 days. The labels will slide right off.
I am planning on brewing my next batch after the first of the year, I will let you know when. After it is done we can have a sampling party...:lol:

Try a product called Starsan, an ounce to 5 gallons of water and let them soak for about 3 days. The labels will slide right off.

Will do. Any need to wash/sterilize then or better to wait until closer to bottling time?

I am planning on brewing my next batch after the first of the year, I will let you know when. After it is done we can have a sampling party...:lol:

Sounds great! What do you have planned next? (partial to mega hopped IPAs myself)

The Starsan is a sanitizer, so you should be ok for the time being, but I always sterilize right before bottling.

Not real sure on what I'm brewing next, I've got a really good recipe for an Old Abbey Style Ale that I like to make in the winter time. But I'm always up to making some thing new. Any ideas?

I brewed 2 batches a few years ago. First was some kind of honey brown, it was tasty. The hydrometer showed lots of alcohol. Then I'm not sure what happened to the second batch, but I ended up with a bucket of vinegar. I didnt even bottle it, tossed the bucket and havent tried since.

I brewed 2 batches a few years ago. First was some kind of honey brown, it was tasty. The hydrometer showed lots of alcohol. Then I'm not sure what happened to the second batch, but I ended up with a bucket of vinegar. I didnt even bottle it, tossed the bucket and havent tried since.

Yeah, I had a couple of those batches when I first started brewing, just lets you know what not to do next time.:lol:

Yeah, I had a couple of those batches when I first started brewing, just lets you know what not to do next time.:lol:

That's gotta be a heart-breaker ending up with a bucket of vinegar....
I guess record keeping might be important part of the process.

Do yall just brew using extracts (hopped or otherwise)?
or get fancy with grains and such?

I was thinking about bottling into 10 growlers (64 oz) ...any disadvantage to that idea?

My brewing experiement happened before the internet, so the only resources I had were a book or 2 and some visits to the homebrew store. I would guess I didnt sanitize something completely enough and it contaminated my brew.

That's gotta be a heart-breaker ending up with a bucket of vinegar....
I guess record keeping might be important part of the process.
Do yall just brew using extracts (hopped or otherwise)?
or get fancy with grains and such?
I was thinking about bottling into 10 growlers (64 oz) ...any disadvantage to that idea?

Yeah, keeping good notes is a very important part of the over all process.

I brewed my first 2 batches with extract, then moved to all-grain batches. You have a ton more options with all-grain and a lot more control of the flavor.

DO NOT BOTTLE IN GROWLERS, the glass is way to thin, and you don't want any 64oz. glass grenades.:lol: Carbanation builds a lot pressure.

Back