Because Racecar

Blaze

The Jeeper Reaper
Going to update this thread hopefully fairly regularly hopefully. So after accumulating way too many project cars, I thought about what I really wanted to do as far as my cars and realized what I always wanted to do is race cars with my dad. I have talked to him about wanting to do road races with him for years, and he's getting older now and there are only so many years left where he will want to jump in a racecar and run 140mph. I talked to my wife about wanting to do it and she said if I sold off all my projects and finished my Trans Am, then we'd talk about it.

Well, I sold off all my project cars (and paid off all our debt other than the house) and my Trans Am will be done this week. She realized that I called her bluff and said "what about that old orange car in the backyard?" But I said "that is racecar."

She realized I had won. It was glorious. White doves rained down from above and a rainbow appeared over my workshop. Then she asked me where all her Tupperware containers were and I realized they were all at my desk at work. A woman always know how to get ya. :lol:

But anyway, my wonderful wife who has put up with way more than any normal woman would is supportive of this whole endeavor now. Or at least tolerant of it. Either way she is happy to get the car out of the back yard.

The car is The Vegas Whore. Yes, you read that right. For the kiddos it is just known as Vegas. Why Vegas Whore? Well, here's the scoop. My friend Joe owned the car and sold it to my friend Scott, who sold it to me, who gave it to my brother for his 16th birthday, who blew two motors up in it and gave it to my friend Joel, who sold it to some toolbag he worked with, who sold it back to me, who sold it back to Joel, who sold it back to me. Get it? Passed around like a cheap Vegas whore. Even my wife found the humor in this.

So what is the car? It is a raggedy ass 89 Firebird Formula WS6. Car started life as a 305 TBI 700R4 car, then went to a 350, then to a 355, then back to a 305. Somewhere along the line a rebuilt T5 got swapped into it. The 305 runs awesome and the T5 shifts good. The car leaks like any respectable t-top 3rd gen does and the interior is equally ratty. The good thing is the drivetrain is solid and the suspension is tight, along with the body not being rusted out.

The plan is to build it to NASA CCR specs because that's about the most stringent of the classes we want to run. @boatedwagon is going to weld us up a full cage out of 2" DOM tube and make us a little roof section to cover up the T-tops. We need to keep a full interior for the Sandhills Open Road Challenge class we are going to run, so we'll do the carpet, seats, and the minimum stuff we need for that. Yes, the ultimate goal is to run the 105mph class in the Sandhills Open Road Challenge in 2018. Then we'll bump up the speed class the following year.

Engine is going to be a built 302 SBC that my buddy is in the process of putting together for us. Destroked 350 that'll be good for a sustained 7500 RPM. He knows his racecar shit, so it'll be solid and reliable for us. Going to keep the T5 for now, and the rearend is getting 28-spline shafts and a Zexel Torsen unit with 3.73 gears.

I'll update as the car gets built. Our plan is to get the rearend done and the cage built, and then get it dialed in on the 305 while we finish building the 302.

So here she is in all it's glory.
20160102_112442.jpg

She realized I had won. It was glorious. White doves rained down from above and a rainbow appeared over my workshop. Then she asked me where all her Tupperware containers were and I realized they were all at my desk at work. A woman always know how to get ya. :lol:
Quoted for truth!

Hells yeah! Sounds like a good time. A few years back before I bought a jeep I was into the auto-x /scca grassroots stuff and loved it. Been a firebird fan since I was a kid, use to have a 68 ram air. Been toying with the idea of finding a ride like this one and turning it into a low buck drift missile. I'll be following this.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hells yeah! Sounds like a good time. A few years back before I bought a jeep I was into the auto-x /scca grassroots stuff and loved it. Been a firebird fan since I was a kid, use to have a 68 ram air. Been toying with the idea of finding a ride like this one and turning it into a low buck drift missile. I'll be following this.

I am a crazy diehard Firebird guy. I've owned dozens of them now. I've never owned a 1st gen, but have had lots of the others. I've memorized every line from Smokey and the Bandit and have all the Knight Rider episodes on DVD. :lol: Left my wedding in a mint 92 Firebird.

My Trans Am is a 98 with a built 6.0L LQ9 and a built T56 with all kinds of stupid money thrown at all kinds of other parts on it. I've been building it for about 7 years now and it should be on the road this week. You really can drop a ton of money on a car when you spread out the expenses over 7 years. :lol:

So now that the TA is done other than a tune, time to start working on the Formula. Started with a bath yesterday and woke it from its slumber beside the shop. first order of business is going to be to do the rearend. It is only a 7.5" rear axle, but this will be a road course car with a high rpm motor that will make it's power higher in the range. I won't be launching this or doing anything that will really kill the rear axle. It currently is an open rear with 2.73 gears (car was originally auto, never regeared, yikes) so we are going to upgrade it with 28-spline axles, a Zexel-Torsen posi, and 3.73 gears. Should put us in the sweet spot for the speed class we are running.

I have designed an adjustable rear spoiler for the car too so I can raise it and drop it depending on what track I'm running it on or the event I am hitting.

Car looks pretty good wet. :lol:

2017-07-10 19.47.47.jpg

Sounds like fun. I'm a circle track racing guy, but the idea of road racing has always appealed to me.

I was looking on the website for the Sandhills Road Challenge for a rule book, but i didn't see anything. Maybe I'm missing something, do you have a link to it?

So ran into the wonderful issue you have with buying parts and letting them sit so long that you forget what you bought. Car had 2.73 gears originally, so had a 2-series carrier. The 3.73 gears I had are thick gears. The new posi unit is a 3-series carrier, so the gears won't fit. Argh. Had to order some new gears, should be here Friday.

So the Formula got some goodies finished up today. Gears are in, posi is in, new axle shafts are in. Also swapped 4th gen LS1 rear disc brakes onto it, along with Spohn LCAs, panhard bar, and adjustable torque arm. Now it is coming home to finish the spoiler and send it off for cage work.

Finally got a couple minutes to work on the Turdy Bird. Since this is going to be straight up racecar, I am in full weight shaving mode. Pulled the heater box and blower motor out, shaved a good bit there, and am going to thin the harness to just the wiring I need. With deleting the stereo, power windows/locks, HVAC system I should be able to pull out a good bit of wiring. I am also putting a carb to ditch the TBI so I should be able to ditch the ECM and a lot of wiring there, too.

Attachments

• image-20171112_232653.jpg
    image-20171112_232653.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 340
  • image-20171112_232708.jpg
    image-20171112_232708.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 333
Been a while since an update on this! Did this ever get finished up?

Been a while since an update on this! Did this ever get finished up?

I ended up selling it back to my best friend. He's put it back together and has been autocrossing it.

Back