Beat the Dead Horse. Overheating XJ

The fan clutch is still the OEM one but when it's cold it doesn't spin more than a half turn

:wtf:

It should spin totally free "cold" and as the temp increases it'll lock up.
As I'm currently researching XJ mods/issues for a recent purchase, there seems to a bunch of folks singing the praises of a NEW fan & clutch...

the cam. did you have problems before the cam was put in?

I got the motor from a guy who when taking the motor apart when he pulled it from his TJ told me the distributor shaft had eaten his cam up. I heard the vehicle run before he pulled it and aside from a slight sputter it ran fine but I'm pretty sure that slight sputter was from the distributor not timing right. He dropped the price for me so I could buy a new camshaft and lifters so I don't know if the problem was there before or not.

Is it possible if there is too much lifter preload that it may cause the engine to get hot?

I'm about to start a new thread regarding this because I did a lot of driving with it this weekend and did a lot of observation on the temperatures and driving nature...

:wtf:

It should spin totally free "cold" and as the temp increases it'll lock up.
As I'm currently researching XJ mods/issues for a recent purchase, there seems to a bunch of folks singing the praises of a NEW fan & clutch...
You bought an XJ?:D More Toad worship!? :D

Possibly the new pump has the wrong impeller (but correct size) causing reverse flow or impeller was put on wrong. Have seen lower radiator hoses collapse while running causing flow restriction. Check your pump with a different brand.

Possibly the new pump has the wrong impeller (but correct size) causing reverse flow or impeller was put on wrong. Have seen lower radiator hoses collapse while running causing flow restriction. Check your pump with a different brand.

It's the proper rotation... I checked before installation. I believe my problem is having to do with the new camshaft I put in.

I did not check lifter pre-load after installation like a newbie... A year and 2k miles later I'm just figuring out how much it can affect the engine operation. Yes I'm an idiot.

This would also explain why my engine RPMs drop to like 200 rpm when I go from cruising to idle on clutch depress. Would also explain why there was so much residue on the inside of my intake manifold that I had sonic-cleaned and shot-peened before installation. My valves aren't closing like they should be. I checked the pre-load using a dial indicator on three of the cylinders and there was one with over .200" of preload..... :confused: whoops. Got some shims in the mail from Summit Racing, so hopefully I can get this remedied. I will post up and let everyone know if this actually fixes the overheating issue.

Back