beach driving in 2wd

RenegadeT

no shirt,no shoes,no dice
co-working was asking my opinion on beach driving in 2wd. Its been a while, so I figured I'd post up for more informed opinions here.
He's got a 2wd early 90s Tundra V8, wants to take it on the OBX. I think its got a limited slip...would adding a locker make it OK for cruising the beach, or is that just gonna get him stuck further out? I guess there are bigass RVs out there that get away with only 2wd, that got him thinking he might be able to take his truck out there.

Getting to and from the Beach is the problem, once near the water it's usually OK but even 4wds can get stuck in the "sugar sand" or areas where it is rutted badly from lots of traffic. I think 2wd w a traction aid and the right tires ( big,wide and bald ) and experience could manage most areas but I'm no expert although I have been stuck and helped folks get unstuck quite a few times!!

What part of the OBX? If it is Corrolla or Carolina Beach (North End), he should be OK. If it is Fort Fisher or some parts around the lighthouse it might get a little hairy. I work with a guy who has a 2WD Tundra and as long as he airs down and takes it easy he has no problem. Any extra weight in the back will help, and stay off the gas.

Make sure if he goes he doesn't go alone, a lot of the locals tend to just pass you by when you are stuck, I have been all up and down OBX, in Carova, Corolla, Hatteras, Avon, Ft Fisher, Carolina Beach, etc. Most of it in 2wd, I tend to use 4wd to get through the soft sand that is rutted up, but then switch to 2wd after that. I never even aired down my tires except for the entire week I spent up in Carova. I did go out once with a "finicky" front axle actuator, I don't know if it was working when I went out or not, but coming back in off the beach I got stuck in the soft sand at the entrance, one wheel spinning in the back, and nothing spinning up front. Aired down the tires and shoveled the sand a bit, still didn't come free, probably 20-25 trucks passed by, not even making eye contact, I was just about to pull the actuator and jam something in there to make it engage, when a Bronco II pulled up, barely tugged me a foot and I was free. Only time I got stuck out there, although I have pulled a few free, including a Toyota Minivan in Avon.

With that said, IIRC Ft Fisher and Carolina Beach won't allow you on the beach if you are 2wd. But a 2wd with aired down wider tires should be ok if he goes prepared. Heck, it beat all I ever seen when a Chrysler 300C passed by on Carova beach, 20" wheels and all, granted it may have been the AWD model.

I'll echo what everyone else has said...getting out to the beach is the problem, but once there, I've driven my fwd lincoln around with no problems.

When i lived in california we used to go to pismo beach all the time. I have been all over the beach and the sand dunes in a 2wd. Just air way down. Nice and easy on the brakes and easy to take off. If a section looks sketchy like it may be really soft just get a little run at it and stop or make any sharp turns till hardens back up. You also have to air down all 4 tires. Most think only the drive wheels. If you dont air the front down also they act like a plow.

Sign before you get on carova beach says having 2wd vehicle out there will get a ticket. I have never seen them personally give out one for a 2wd but you never know. The top section of the beach at carova OBX is rough during summer when there are tons of people out there. During this time of year is is not too bad but still rutted out. Be careful at night during low tide for the stumps about 1/2 mile in

Bit like the cali comment - I grew up in florida and spent countless hours on Daytona and other beaches, but airing down isn't the only aspect - you have to be able to maintain momentum thru the deep stuff. I've spent over 30 years on every piece of the NC coast and can tell you it's very different. At CB, you'll get a ticket for exceeding 15mph - too slow, imho, for 2wd. OBX is different issue, as sand varies greatly so you can pick your spot, but getting there thru the soft stuff is always the tricky part. Ft. Fisher is similar, but only at the ramp. Manual vs. auto is also an issue - I like to start off in low range and 4th or even 5th gear if necessary to absolutely, positively, without any question in mind get no wheel spin. If you stop on soft stuff and only have 2wd, you're done - the front sinks like a rock without the momentum. Be smart in where you park...

I would not do it. I've gotten stuck in 2wd in a bronco with a Detroit. Fortunately 4wd was a lever flip away. The dry sand is very soft. By the water 2wd is no problem but having the ability to go to 4wd is a must in my book.

I will tell you that everything got tore up pretty good by sandy, dunes are cut in half and high tide up in carova/north beach is barely large enough for two trucks to pass each other. Larry also isnt exactly cheap if you get stuck (the guy that runs the 4x4 wreckers)

I will tell you that everything got tore up pretty good by sandy, dunes are cut in half and high tide up in carova/north beach is barely large enough for two trucks to pass each other. Larry also isnt exactly cheap if you get stuck (the guy that runs the 4x4 wreckers)
I always wanted to know how much the idiot in the Jeep paid when I was up in Carova on my honey moon. We were up about 9 miles from where the paved road stops, we stayed through a tropical storm that dumped over 30" of rain on the area. I watched them leave from the house just across from us, they didn't make it but maybe 50 yards to the first water crossing, they sunk it down, water came over the hood and in the doors, locked it up. It was a bone stock WJ, maybe 31" A/Ts, their buddy behind them tugged them back out and back to the house. A couple days later I watched as a red 4x4 Chevy Dually with ~35" A/Ts and a trailer, also with some wide floatation tires, came up the beach and loaded up the Jeep. I can't imagine what they would charge to drive 9 miles on the beach with a trailer, then 9 miles back loaded with the Jeep. Probably as much as the replacement engine and swap cost. I had gone through the same water crossing earlier that day to check out the damage, I was on 38" tires and even then the water was completely over my tires and on the rockers of the truck.

Yep, and from what I've heard it's $250 for the tow and he doesn't just get you unstuck, he drags you all the way back to the entry gate.
Tug of shame :rolleyes:

Tell him to trade it in on a 4WD!

Back about ten years ago there would be several two wheel drive vans out at the point at Buxton. Finally saw one at the parking lot at the ramp airing down his tires. The tires looked flat on the pavement, with the rim sitting on the folded over sidewall. Never saw one them stuck and that beach had some of the worst sand ever.

Tell him to trade it in on a 4WD!
I went one better, told him to get a Jeep. His truck is paid off, in GC, never let him down, etc...he wants to keep it. He won't be going to the beach alone, just wondering how well a 2wd truck will do, with and without a locker.

Back