Battery storage

rokntoy

FUCKIN SLAYER!!!
What is the best way to store a battery outside the vehicle for awhile. Do I need to put a charger on it.

Define "awhile."

There are battery tenders that you hook to the battery and plug in and they read the battery and give it juice as needed, I think that's the best way, maybe not the cheapest, but I wouldn't leave it hooked to a continuous charger for a long time.

My thoughts on this is that a battery is a battery. It's either a good battery or a bad one. If the charge goes down... CHARGE IT! Geez! A brand new top of the Autozone line battery goes for $80 with a shelf life of 6 years. If the battery drains that easily, it's a wimpy battery that I'd hate to depend on out in the middle of nowhere and needs replaced to begin with. Save the $20 for a good battery charger. A battery isn't going to loose any life if it is drained and needs recharged. Just don't fry it or it will loose life. Charge with a steady low amp overnight and then a good battery will be back to it's full potential. But a good battery shouldn't drain to begin with.
Just disconnect the negative if it's in a vehicle and will be setting for a while.

My 2 on "Battery sitters".

If I take mine out, I just set it on a piece of wood on the shelf. They (whoever they are) say not to set the battery on concrete.

If I take mine out, I just set it on a piece of wood on the shelf. They (whoever they are) say not to set the battery on concrete.

For what it's worth the "don't set a battery on concrete" thing hasn't been a concern for decades with new plastic cased batterys.

And if I were going to store a used battery for any long period of time I would at the least charge it periodically. Tenders are nice but not necessary.

set plenty of batteries on concrete for weeks and still used them to jump cars

set plenty of batteries on concrete for weeks and still used them to jump cars
For what it's worth the "don't set a battery on concrete" thing hasn't been a concern for decades with new plastic cased batterys.
And if I were going to store a used battery for any long period of time I would at the least charge it periodically. Tenders are nice but not necessary.

Those (whoever those are) bastards:flipoff:

I have an optima that has been in my garage for 3 years sitting on the concrete floor without a tender or any charging. While it was not fully charged after that time, it wasn't completely dead. I put it in my buggy, wired it up, charged it, and it worked great for winching the buggy on the trailer and kept a good charge. 6 months later, it still has some good charge. Point is, with the newer batteries these days, I don't think the method of storage is very critical. Although a tender is nice, it is not necessary, IMO. Just keep it out of the weather and you should be good.

Back