Battery code mystery

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
What would you say the age of this battery is?
To me it looks like the code is k i 2 j 2 3.
IMG_20231229_125335842_HDR.jpg

Everything I've always seen in what I've read on the interwebs is that the first two digits are supposed to be a letter and the number that designate the month and last digit of year.
So what gives?

A little background that adds to the mystery.

This is off of a 2013 Kia Soul. Car only has 47,000 miles on it. We picked it up in September, Carfax is impressively detailed showing that up until early this year it was owned by the original buyer who only put a couple thousand a year and had everything done at the dealer. Last service is January 23. Nothing in there about a battery, but does list other things like brakes and even changing a light bulb.

Sometime after that it was rear ended and sold at insurance auction. Probably sat awhile. I got it from a chop shop dealer in September.

It's a Rocket brand, OEM for Korean cars. Looks very clean just like everything else under the hood. Bolts were rusty and tight.

This is come up because it's showing signs of weakness, hard to start after sitting awhile, if it's sitting with the radio or lights on for more than about 10 minutes than it won't start.

What say ye? If the two refers to 12, it's mind-blowing to me that this is the original battery. If it's 22 then it seems strange it would not be noted with the other service, and then would be dead already unless all of the sitting and just occasional cranking is what got it.

This don’t answer your question but I have a 2013 commuter car it’s a ford focus has right at a 100k and I just replaced the battery about 6 months ago. It may have lasted longer if my wife wouldn’t have left the headlights on

I'm 90% sure it was the original. Thinking it just didn't get that many cranks over such a long period. Took it for a test at Advance, they confirmed it just wouldn't give out much anymore. The guy said they see a lot of OEM batteries with long age on them.

Back