Axel Swap

Well based on a quick Google search. The axels from the 4.0 most likely will have 3.55 gears while the ones from the v8 will have 3.73.

I would just make sure you have the same ratio front and rear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Does that '01 have a repinza (sp?) front drive shaft? If so, you'll have to deal with that with new yokes. That '99 should have a double cardan if shaft since it has the 4.7. Not sure about the yoke sizes of the D44A vs the D35. Like Keith said, you'd need to make sure the gears match.

WJJeeps.com may answer some questions. The WJ subgroup on jeepforum.com is a good resource as well.

What's wrong with the D30 in the front of the '99? Mine's smiling a little and could use a new housing. lol

Does that '01 have a repinza (sp?) front drive shaft? If so, you'll have to deal with that with new yokes. That '99 should have a double cardan if shaft since it has the 4.7. Not sure about the yoke sizes of the D44A vs the D35. Like Keith said, you'd need to make sure the gears match.

WJJeeps.com may answer some questions. The WJ subgroup on jeepforum.com is a good resource as well.

What's wrong with the D30 in the front of the '99? Mine's smiling a little and could use a new housing. lol

The axels are missing in the '99. it has a nicer trim package and a clean title. My '01 is in OK shape but needs engine rebuild (cracked cylinder wall as a result of broken piston skirt).

I think the bigger problem will be with the different transfer cases. '99 has Quadra-Trac and the '01 has Selec-Trac

Gotcha....could you swap in the 242HD transfer case too? Essentially making the 99 a selec-trac.

If it's quadratrac, the original axle shafts are CV. You can swap the axle, but if you keep the quadratrac case, it may feel odd in turns on the road due to the u joints and it being awd. I'd swap the transfer case and make it 4wd part time instead of the full time that's in there. Btdt with my wife's zj. (But I ran the awd case without the front shaft installed for awhile before swapping the rear axle and transfer case over, different gear ratios were present, plus the yoke difference between CV jointed driveshaft & u joint drive shaft.) Just my thoughts on it.

Back