Attn: Garmin GPS Users

bigwaylon

I'm getting ready to buy one, and have priced myself into the following three options:

Nuvi 360
StreetPilot c340
StreetPilot c550

anybody have one of these? reasons you like it? reasons you don't? reasons you chose it over a different version, or wish you did?

Thanks.
Greg

a little more info...

I'm attaching a chart with the features that are different. I deleted all features that were similar or non-existent on all three models, as well as those that didn't really make a difference to me even if they were different (mainly physical dimensions)...

Having never really used one, other than riding in a car in Miami with a coworker that had a much more expensive Garmin, I really don't know what's useful and what isn't.

Any and all input is appreciated.

I did include the MSRP, but I've found them at much lower prices:

Nuvi 360 = $520
c340 = $380
c550 = $500

EDIT: one other option is the Nuvi 350, which appears to be identical to the 360, except you save $50 and lose the BlueTooth capability

Thanks.
Greg

Attachments

• gps.jpg
    gps.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 260
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=1
great info on that sight.
Greg,
How are you going to use it? trails and street, trails only, street only??
Peter

I'll check the site...

it's gonna be street only...either driving to a wheeling spot, or more often for business travel...

most of the ones I was looking at will keep you on the closest street, regardless of where you are...if I wanted something for trails, I know I need to look in a completely different direction, like some of the GPSMAP units...

Thanks.
Greg

Greg,
For street use I would stick with the Garmin Nuvi units. I just bought a Nuvi 660 because I do quite a bit of driving for work and I am pleased. I found the best price was at Circuit City's website with a Circuit City 10% off coupon from AAA.

The 660 has the bells and wistles and I like the fact that I can easily download Points Of Intrest into the unit. http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles

I have had the 340 for a year now and we love it. We have been all up and down the east coast and has worked great. I believe the major differance in the newer one, the c550, is the bluetooth and MP3 capabilities, the mapping software and functions are the same. I never used the Nuvi but I have heard good things about it. Garmin comes out with a new updated map for the units about once a year and you can download it for 75 bucks. Living in the Charlotte area where new streets pop up daily it comes in handy running the teenager around to friends houses.

I have had the 340 for a year now and we love it. We have been all up and down the east coast and has worked great. I believe the major differance in the newer one, the c550, is the bluetooth and MP3 capabilities, the mapping software and functions are the same. I never used the Nuvi but I have heard good things about it. Garmin comes out with a new updated map for the units about once a year and you can download it for 75 bucks. Living in the Charlotte area where new streets pop up daily it comes in handy running the teenager around to friends houses.

best I can tell the C5## uses the SiRF card/receiver (whatever it is) which is supposed to be much faster and more accurate than the system in the C3## series...

the C550 also comes with the traffic receiver which is normally ~$200...

it does have the bluetooth and MP3, which may or may not be useful...

one of the biggest differences (and seems to be most useful to those writing reviews) is that the Nuvi 360, the c340 and the c550 speak street names (as opposed to just "turn right in .1 miles")...while the c330 and c530 don't...

after doing a lot of reading last night, it appears the c550 is "almost" like putting the 2700 series in a non-waterproof housing and being done with it...all the features, lower price...

Now the deal will be seeing if the local Circuit City will match the ridiculous online prices I've printed out...I've found it for ~$150 less online, plus the warranty is ~$100 less for two years online...

we'll see...

Greg

I like the Bluetooth option. When I look for a hotel, restaurant, bank etc.. I just hit the call button and the Nuvi calls the place and I can talk to them through the units speakers (of course your phone must have BlueTooth).

Someone is selling a Garmin V on the board wich is awsome for offroad. mapping trails and routing back to base is very easy for the v, plus it is somewhat waterproof.

Peter

I like the Bluetooth option. When I look for a hotel, restaurant, bank etc.. I just hit the call button and the Nuvi calls the place and I can talk to them through the units speakers (of course your phone must have BlueTooth).

Peter

the new phone I picked up yesterday is BlueTooth, but isn't listed on Garmin's site as being compatible...

most of the reading I've done says users have VERY good luck with Cingular phones being compatible, and Garmin says their list isn't "complete", so I'm hoping for the best...

should get by Circuit City today...

Greg

Back