Anything to see at Uwharrie?

Discussion in 'Uwharrie News' started by TJDale, Oct 22, 2019.

1. TJDale

TJDale Active Member

I've been going to Uwharrie for years. I ride all the trails and have a fine time. No it's not very challenging but it's close enough for me and my son to go ride some trails, we don't have much to choose from in Florence.

We are headed up there to camp this weekend and I was wonder what else their might be to see. Do any of you have any tips on things to see up there that wouldn't usually be seen from the trail? Maybe something only accessible by foot? I think I read about a scenic lookout that you can hike to from one of the OHV trails? Or maybe an out of the way waterfall? Anything?

Arm is still kinda broke so kayaking, conoeing, shooting are out.

Attached Files:

2. R Q

R Q Well-Known Member

Just go and have fun.

3. TJDale

TJDale Active Member

I've been doing that for about 18 years up there. I just wonder if I'm missing anything. I want to explore the area a little more.

4. 87TPIYJ

87TPIYJ Well-Known Member

You could walk down Rocky Mtn loop and see what was Kodak. I did that last year. Its crazy how much it has filled in. Almost not recognizable.

88bronzetrooper, R Q and NickMaul like this.
  5. TJDale

TJDale Active Member

Thats a good idea. I haven't seen it in years. My son never has.

6. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

I have some pics I’ll post later, but there are some huge, I mean MASSIVE boulders in one area of a horse/hiking trail. Very worth walking too. Me and my daughter hiked there a few years ago, from there you’re not very far from a pretty cool spot right on the lake.

7. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

That’s the only pic I have, but there are lots of those boulders. Just a big grouping of them, taller than a house. It’s called “Nifty Rocks” on the map.
    F0F177BB-6572-4594-86F2-95847F5C5544.jpeg

The spot by the lake is nice, only accessible by boat or on foot/horse.
    24354884-1EC8-4CA6-9DEA-56D8BE029661.png 77EB01CD-A9DE-443F-A6C0-97426D2E2817.png E507BF3B-6157-406E-8B43-17401EB5ED84.png

8. Tim C

Tim C Wizard

On dickey bell, if you come from the Hill climb (little Daniel I think they call it) back towards the double parking lot and 553 about half way there's a section of trail with gaurd rails on both sides to keep you on the trail even though the surrounding area is wide open. If you park near the end farthest from the Hill climb right as the trail makes a left and drops down, then walk straight on as if the trail never turned along the ridge line there's a huge cross made from stacked rocks.

I think that's part of the old gold mine trail that's been closed forever and I'm not sure of the origins of the cross but it is something neat to see.

Lizooki, TJDale, ghost and 2 others like this.
  9. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Yes at the top. Pretty sure it's wood rail up there not metal too. Park then walk in. I believe it is part of the horse trail.

Tim C likes this.
  10. karatejosh

karatejosh Well-Known Member

The cross use to have a sighn up that said it was a tribute to a horse guy but can’t remember his name use to be a picture of him there also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim C likes this.
  11. Tim C

Tim C Wizard

That's kind of what I thought. Last time I was there there was an obituary in a Ziploc bag tucked under a rock.

I think I may go back next time I'm up there it's been a few years.

12. Willc

Willc Well-Known Member

There is the low water bridge and the giant old Mill that is close by. There is also a covered bridge about thirty minutes away.

13. TJDale

TJDale Active Member

We had a really good trip and saw a lot of things not seen from the OHV trails.

Attached Files:

CasterTroy, Jason W., ghost and 10 others like this.
  14. 87TPIYJ

87TPIYJ Well-Known Member

Isn’t it crazy how much different Kodak is now?

iwaxmyjimmy and Tim C like this.
  15. EugeneTheTJ

EugeneTheTJ Well-Known Member

and jumping off rock

336wheeler likes this.
  16. cufor98

cufor98 Well-Known Member

I see that tiger paw! Smart kid!