Anyone Notice?

Wolfpack OffRoad

Has anyone noticed the number of guests we are having? Three hundred or more some times. Is there something wrong or are we that popular? I was on earlier and it gave me a server difficulty problem for a few minutes then I could get on. I don't know if this is related? Just thought i'd bring it up.

Yep, sorry guys didn't know it would be this popular. Check out the views on it. It's on at least 11 other forums.(thus far).

Rattlecanpaint.......... you're a super star ........ at least for 15 min. :)

JB

Not anymore, had to move the thread, with all the hits it generated the board would have shut down in a couple days due to excessive bandwidth usage.

Rob said:
Not anymore, had to move the thread, with all the hits it generated the board would have shut down in a couple days due to excessive bandwidth usage.

So what does that actually mean ? Can the system not handle it ? Why would someone limit you ? Charge you more money ? I mean if I send an email to my wife or to Africa it's the same ? I've always heard about "bandwidth", but never understood why it mattered other than to charge you more money.

J(bandwidth n00b)B

More money, we pay for an alloted amount, which we have never come close to.

Rockeater said:
I mean if I send an email to my wife or to Africa it's the same ? I've always heard about "bandwidth", but never understood why it mattered other than to charge you more money.

It's the amount of data you pass between your server and your service provider. Once it's through your service provider it can go to Africa, China, and your wife all for the same cost.

Think of it like water. You're charged by the city to get water, and you can pay in advance for a certain amount. The city then pays their supplier (like Cary pays Raleigh and Raleigh pays its water treatment team, and probably the Army Corps of Engineers). We're all charged by our ISP's and they are in turn charged by their providers. NCSU used to be charged by MCNC which was charged by MCI. I can do a traceroute on your ip and tell you the same for your situation.

The attention that thread was getting was the equivalent of your neighbor filling a pool or two on your tab when you just budgeted for drinking water.

J

Rockeater said:
So what does that actually mean ? Can the system not handle it ? Why would someone limit you ? Charge you more money ? I mean if I send an email to my wife or to Africa it's the same ? I've always heard about "bandwidth", but never understood why it mattered other than to charge you more money.

J(bandwidth n00b)B

basically, when you sign up with a website host, you get a certain amount of data transfer per month. Every image, line of text, code, etc... is data that's transferred, and counts against it.

The web hosting companies don't care where it goes because of how the internet is designed, but it costs the web hosts to push that data out to the "backbone" of the internet, because the more data they push, the bigger the equipment needs to be, the bigger the "pipe" that the data flows through needs to be, etc...

The companies that offer "unlimited bandwith" plans ALWAYS have some sort of penalty.. sometimes it's slow performance, slow machines, etc... Something has to give.

Got cha. Thanks for the explaination, which makes sense.

J(blind user of the WWW)B

So, JB, what this means is, as you are sitting there, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blahing...you are costing people money... :D You should send Rob more $$$.

JB *is* the 3rd most prolific poster.

You only get one guess who #1 and #2 are. ;)

Rich 695 :eek:
Rob 485 :rolleyes:
Saf-t-sissors 361
Jason 303
JB 269
Ken 234

What is odd about this list???

Everybody but JB is an admin...

JB..."Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah. :D

And the admins and mods were posting on the board testing things long before we opened it back up. :flipoff2: :D

:flipoff2:

talktoomuch.gif

Back