Anyone exp in kart racing for kids?

Shannon

Wanted to explore this for my girls. They have been watching some kart racing on tv for about a year now and they asked me what they had to do to get me to help them with it. So I'm exploring. I think it would be bitchin to have my girls racing, but no nothing about the karting scene. Spend some time on google and it looks like the closest track around here is Johnston County Speedway? Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Shannon

I dont know about Raleigh, but there are at least 5 tracks within 30 minutes to an hour of Charlotte.

While they are young (under 10) weight classes can keep them competing against othr kids, as they get a little older it gets a tad aggravating for many parents, especially when you have a 13 year old you are trying to teach and he/she is racing against a 35 year old who doctoring tires in the parking lot and playing spin to win:rolleyes: ...

Of course thats just my experience.

You might try calling Hedgecock Racing in High Point. Jay is a former Cup driver and runs a fabrication school now. His youngest son races karts locally. I believe he told me that there is a indoor series they do at the G'boro coliseum. I don't know if it is a winter or summer series but they might be able to steer you in the direction you want to go. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check out the indoor track in Garner for sure. I've done some corporate events at a track in Seattle and San Fran, but didn't know we had one here. They are a blast...

Shannon

I have 2 bro-in-laws into it heavy with their kids. One is 7 the other is 8. The 7 yo done so well his first year he now drives for a sponsor (some kind of fishing lure brand?). The 8 yo won the points race this year in his league and has sponsors calling.
Remember these names 15 years from now when you set down for Nascar... Cole Moore and Mathew Dunn.

They race Johnston County mainly, then hit Greeneville, and somewhere 2 hours West from here like towards Winston Salem somewhere for big money races? Also heard them race up in Virginia once but decided it was too far.

I'm just a spectator. I think all they did was just walk around the track one day and talked to people with carts for sale. Next thing you know it's an every weekend thing. Of course they sunk alot of money in the sport. Imagine the sport of racing being expensive... Hmmm... The motors are like $5,000 souped up tiller motors. They say the West Coast dealers are the only folk that sell the motors commercially. Locals build their own or buy new one every year from somewhere in Cali.

Johnston County is the closest. And only like 15 minutes from Fuquay.

IT'S EXPENSIVE!!! When we moved here in 93 we were second in points in PA, but didn't stand a chance here! Everyone had big enclosed trailers and at least 3 blueprinted engines sitting on the floor at about $2500 each!

We just played with in parking lots that wouldn't run us away!

Back