Anybody tow with a Chevy Express 2500?

bert2470

Anybody out there towing with a Chevy Express Van, either the 2500 or 3500? I'm thinking of getting one to haul the kids around and also use for towing the Jeep/trailer. Jeep and trailer could weigh around 7,000 lbs (rough estimate). The 2500/3500 comes with the 6.0 gasser and semi or full float rear axle and the 6 spd tranny has a cooler...the rating is 9500 pounds tow capacity but I'd be interested in any real world experiences out there. Thanks.

Yager?

yes. search my name in the tow section. I tow w/ 2004 G3500. 6.0L/4l80 auto, 3.73s.

2500 can be optioned more/less same as a 3500 but 3500 comes with everything as base van. hydroboost, FF axle, 9600# GVRW, I regularly tow 7500# rig/trailer and have towed more numerous times. The van itself is pretty light ~5500# so I do tow with a weight distributing hitch when loaded up. I use a class 4/5 hitch, 800# bars and a prodigy controller.

I think its a great all around tow rig and serves many functions. I get 17mpg Highway empty and 11mpg towing.

Here is a pic a while back.. (I don't use the camper anymore)
g3500.trip.BigDogsVTMemorialRide08.03.20080726.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking it might be worth the small price bump to get the 3500 despite the rougher ride. It would be a daily driver most of the time and then my tow machine for trips. The Tahoe I have now with the 5.3 motor has about the same highway mileage so not much worse in the 6.0 and you get a better tow setup with FF axles, tranny upgrade to 6sp with cooler, larger brakes, etc.

As I posted 2500 can be optioned same as 3500, typically only difference is rear leafs. I saw many 2500s that looked exactly the same just with a 8600# GVRW, that will give a better ride empty. That said I don't think mine rides that bad at all. Are you looking at a cargo van or passanger van ? I actually see 3500s really cheap. DD mpg ~15ish. My wife DD'd it for 6+weeks to work while we waited on parts for me and her car. I drive it all the time to work to pick up things i don't want in my PU etc. It just clears my 7' garage door and i fit in parking decks at work np.

I found it easier to just look for 3500 to ensure I got all the good stuff. Note, NOT all 3500s came with tow packages, mine did not have one nor a hitch. I added it and the cooler myself and had the satisfaction knowing it had not ever been towed with (stock bumper not rated for anything more then stepping on).

Good luck

I'll look for a passenger van given that I have 4 kids. Will likely go with 3500 then and only have to add a brake controller and tow package (if without). 'Will also begin looking around for a trailer rated at 5k on each axle with brakes on both. Only need enough length to haul a TJ on 37s. Thanks for all the advice!

Back