any veterinarians on here ?

lugnut

I'm stating to think the vet. is thinking more about money than whats best for my dog. I need another opinion. Heres the story. My dog is Shit zu that we took in 10 years ago. He was 3-4 years old then so he is an old dog. He has been on pills for arthritis and anxiety for a couple years now and a heart and fluid pill for a little while. He has now stoped eating. he has not eaten anything in 10 days. The vet. has done a lot of test + given him IV fluid and the only thing they can tell me is something probly upset his stomach. Now his on pills for that. Today he has stopped drinking water. I fell like he is tired and just wants to die. We have spent a lot of money on him in the past and dont mind spending it to help him but I wont spend it to just keep him around so he can be miserable.

yeah, i had a springer spaniel that did that. He knew it was his time. spent his last day out in the woods, came home in the evening and laid down and never woke up.

Sounds like the dogs ready, let him go. 14 years is a long time for a dog.

Sorry about the dog man. watching your best friend fade away sucks.

Sorry to hear it, but as was said..

Just make him as comfortable as possible..

Thanks for the advice guys. Thats what my gut says but the vet keeps saying lets do this thing then that thing. Yes the last thing he had to eat was on the 20th. He wasnt eating good befor that and since the 20th he hasnt eaten a bite.

Sometimes you need to just say good bye and let him go, Its hard to do And I have done it a few times in the past with dogs and a horse.
My thought is to put him down, its hard to do, and say you want it but it will be over fast and no pain. Think of what the dog has gone through and you don't want him to be that way for a long time and die a slow death.
Remember them for what they were in the past and not watch them in pain......

I hope you do what is good for you and you friend.......

I had to take my mother-in-law's and one of mine to the vet and "put to sleep" this year. It's hard, but see them resting is better than to see them die slowly. You can say your goodbyes and hold them. Both Tippy and Anna look at me when the shot was given, it looked like they said thanks and went to sleep very restfully.
Goggle rainbow bridge it helps.

Update: I had made my mind up today was going to be "the day". My wife and daughter had planed to go to a Christmas parade so I figgered it wold be a good time to take him to the vet. Gave him one more chance to eat and dang if he didn't. He is eating and drinking again now. With the wait he lost he is getting around better than he has in a long time. Maybe the vet was right. I gues time will tell.

If he does this again (not eating for days) have him checked for heartworms.

Thats what got my lab that I had to put to sleep (at 18!!)

I had kept her on medicine until the last 2 years and then stopped because she had become a purely inside dog...

She would go days and then eat fine for a week and start again...By the time we figured it out it was too late. As it was explained to us, the dog essentially starves them by not taking any nutrients in then when they eat the larvae hatch (inside) and start attacking again...

BTW Good Luck...

Back