Anvil

frankenyoter

No Rain, No Rainbow
Looking for an anvil. My 10 yr old son wants to make stuff. He has got a simple forge and some tools for Christmas/Feb birthday. We are currently using a section of rail road track so I’d like to upgrade.

Doesn’t need to be huge, fancy or cost a fortune.

Asheville area

If no luck on one you may try Vevor.
I got one of them. Second one down, black cast steel. It isn't perfect. No huge flaws that I have found. One weld repair in the casting on top😐but well executed. I can see the polish marks but no inclusions. The over all is very good. I'm no expert metal pounder. It will suit me fine for a good while.

I got tired of searching. Newer used stock of any American made stuff was higher than new. All the old stuff people want rare money value regardless of condition. Pitted, beat to death anchors are mostly worthless to do "good" work on.

Looking for an anvil. My 10 yr old son wants to make stuff. He has got a simple forge and some tools for Christmas/Feb birthday. We are currently using a section of rail road track so I’d like to upgrade.

Doesn’t need to be huge, fancy or cost a fortune.

Asheville area
The Tobacco Barn Antique Store in Asheville sometimes had a vendor who would have a couple anvils around. But they weren't a bargain but I'm not sure what you're calling a fortune. I also have a friend in Rock Hill who is a good source but he does buy them to restore and sell at a profit. I could reach out if you're interested in that.

I Have a 147 lb Trenton that I would part with for a small fortune. I would also like to know who in Rock Hill might be interested in looking at it, as I need to free up space in the garage.
IMG_0334.jpeg

Last edited:
I Have a 147 lb Trenton that I would part with for a small fortune. I would also like to know who in Rock Hill might be interested in looking at it, as I need to free up space in the garage.
View attachment 412725
PM me a price

The Tobacco Barn Antique Store in Asheville sometimes had a vendor who would have a couple anvils around. But they weren't a bargain but I'm not sure what you're calling a fortune. I also have a friend in Rock Hill who is a good source but he does buy them to restore and sell at a profit. I could reach out if you're interested in that.
PM me a pic/price. I’d get one in the rough or restored. It’s a novelty that I’ve always wanted and since the boy is digging it… why not pay a person vs a company for a new one.

Just talked to my guy and he's not in the market to buy any more and only had some $1000 and up for sale.

You can't beat a railroad track custom made anvil. It's what I have. Inherited actually from my shop when I bought it. I think it works as good if not better because it's more portable.

They are becoming very popular now that anvils became outrageous antique collector pieces. Youtube it. "railroad track anvil".

IMG_20230504_205635101.jpg

You can make some real neat ones from railroad iron with enough cut off wheels and patience. The metal doesn't plasma well do to several reasons. Cutting it with a torch is even worse.

The other downside is it just isn't much mass unless it's stupid long. If you use rail I suggest a very rigid mount with more mass. Otherwise your gonna loose a lot of force and chase that thing around the floor.

Back