Another trailer registering question

crgrissom

I recently got a surplus M101 CDN (Canadian equivalent of the US military "jeep" trailer) and I need to get it registered. I have searched and read the other threads about this, so I think I have the basic idea.
My bill of sale from the fellow in VA says "homemade trailer built from surplus parts", and I just went to the DMV yesterday and got a form MVR-15 for my "homemade" trailer with an assigned NCX number. Hopefully I can dance around the "homemade" thing as others have. I'm a little worried about that, but I'll see how it goes. It does have an obvious aftermarket 12v taillight set replacing the 24 volt military lights, and I will be attaching a "homemade" spare tire carrier.
Anyway, the next step is to have the NCX number stamped on the frame near the coupler and on the axle. Does anybody know where in Raleigh I can go to have this done? Or, is it easy enough to go buy a die set and DIY with a BFH?
Thanks!
Chuck

I can tell you this, For now in DMV It is going to be real hard to get stuff in some cases past. I think it broke in the news but some high up heads may be rolling over title stuff.
It was about people taking newer cars and trucks and putting older vins on the to get the collector tages and stuff like that.
It would be like thating a 2006 jeep and changing it in a way to use a 1995 vin to keep out of the OBD stuff or in this case the truck was a new built custom but listed as a 1934 to be title as a clasic and avoid all the taxes for sales and personal property tax from what I was told. So think of it this way a 100,000 custom could skip the 3% sales / road use and the county property tax each year if listed as a old junk 19xx.
So now they are cracking down and looking things over and if something looks funny then you may have problems.
If I was you, I would take the trailer to DMV and let them tell you what to do. I know you know how to stamp it but as of now you have done nothing other then paid for it, when you stamp it you say you built it because the info you got is for home built trailer. That is not true you did not build it and if you sign the bottom, well :shaking: If he wants to be a butt then its up to him what he does and its a state legal paper that you did a no no ... so let him tell you and ask him when he works next or take your punch and hammer......
Last time I was at the DMV office talking to some people in the other building we were talking about the military stuff and they told me you needed a form from the military after a date don't remember for stuff like that with no title that clears it from the military so you can have it.
With out that you can get it a lot of trouble, but for the most part it is the hummers, Jeeps, Blazers, Trucks, but they still give them out for trailers and all the other stuff.
Just want to help out from the inside.... so flame on

I got one titled, but it was about 10 years ago. They DMV guy didn't want to do it then. After saying he just couldn't do it, he sat there and just repeated my (unusual) last name 3 or 4 times...and said it sounded familiar. I said you must have run into my cousin that works directly for the Governor. His next words were "I think I can sign this now." :)

If they don't sign off at one DMV office, go to another. A good one might be in Asheboro, since they deal with stuff like this due to Delks being nearby. Or down at Kinston where white owl is.

Wow, this is turning into a nightmare (I was afraid of that.)

I do see that the MVR-15 form for assignment of the NCX number has a choice between "homemade" or "factory built." It seems like it is clearly factory built for the military, but has no civilian VIN, so I should go back and get another one that specifies "factory built." I guess then, the issue would be whether there needs to be a form from the Canadian military that releases it. Boy, that could be hard to get. Hopefully since these are 1992 trailers, it is old enough to get around that.

I still will go to the DMV and ask someone what to do. Any idea which office I should go to? The license plate "agencies" are all staffed by pretty stupid people.

Chuck

Wow, this is turning into a nightmare (I was afraid of that.)
I do see that the MVR-15 form for assignment of the NCX number has a choice between "homemade" or "factory built." It seems like it is clearly factory built for the military, but has no civilian VIN, so I should go back and get another one that specifies "factory built." I guess then, the issue would be whether there needs to be a form from the Canadian military that releases it. Boy, that could be hard to get.
I still will go to the DMV and ask someone what to do. Any idea which office I should go to? The license plate "agencies" are all staffed by pretty stupid people.
Chuck
I think there in one off blue ridge that has a inspection office just call and tell them you need to have a trailer looked and ask about title and go from there.
As for going from one to another that it what started all the current stuff, Guy went to someone and was turned down and went over his head but the first guy new his job and went way over the other guys head and turn him in for doing it. They keep a paper trail when you try to get this stuff done and put it in to the computer that is why the first step was to get the NCX# in the computer for DMV to start it. You go to DMV he will pull that up and your DL and then look things over.
That way if he finds in the look over that you have a trailer that is on the hot list and you just up and split he has your DL info. Most people dont take the time to remove the tags on the axle with the vin number or factory names, all they do is grind and re stamp the toung vin.
It is always good to stamp a vin in more then one place that is not known by most in a common trailer. Easy to prove its yours...

I got one titled, but it was about 10 years ago. They DMV guy didn't want to do it then. After saying he just couldn't do it, he sat there and just repeated my (unusual) last name 3 or 4 times...and said it sounded familiar. I said you must have run into my cousin that works directly for the Governor. His next words were "I think I can sign this now." :)

If they don't sign off at one DMV office, go to another. A good one might be in Asheboro, since they deal with stuff like this due to Delks being nearby. Or down at Kinston where white owl is.
10 years ago DMV was not needed but could be used.
I used Cary PD one time and SHP a few times.
Few years back they started making you use only DMV.
Last time I got up with one at lunch on a sat between deer hunting when I was working at the gun shop.
Called him and told him when and were I work and he said Yep I go in there when I get out of the tree stand for lunch....

I used that same form a couple weeks ago to get my "homebuilt" trailer registered. It was built by a company nearby that builds a lot of trailers. They stamped the NCX # for me on the tongue and rear axle.

While I was at the SHP/DMV station another trailer came in and he had used the stamp tools he bought at Northern Tool. The inspector told him they were not large enough or deep enough. Just a heads up. You may want to swing by a machine shop or a trailer dealer and see if they'll do it for a few bucks. Might save you a little hassle.

I bet if you use those on a plaque, and rivet that to the trailer, you should be good.

If they don't sign off at one DMV office, go to another.
best advice in here... that's been my experience too. call or go in enough times, and you'll eventually get the answer/action that you want.:lol:

I used that same form a couple weeks ago to get my "homebuilt" trailer registered. It was built by a company nearby that builds a lot of trailers. They stamped the NCX # for me on the tongue and rear axle.
While I was at the SHP/DMV station another trailer came in and he had used the stamp tools he bought at Northern Tool. The inspector told him they were not large enough or deep enough. Just a heads up. You may want to swing by a machine shop or a trailer dealer and see if they'll do it for a few bucks. Might save you a little hassle.
Guess that means my northern stamps are going to be useless after all. Man that sucks :bounce2:. Still have a trailer I was planing on using them on oh well.

Guess that means my northern stamps are going to be useless after all. Man that sucks :bounce2:. Still have a trailer I was planing on using them on oh well.

What ones you get?
They have 1/4'' and 1/8'' I have always used the 1/4'' and been fine with a BFH the other guy may not have hit it hard or used the 1/8".
Like I said, go, show, ask, then do what they say and you will have no reason not to pass.

Follow up

Well, I went ahead and stamped the numbers on as described on the form MVR-15, using a 1/4" die set from Harbor Freight. I took the trailer, the form, and my notorized bill of sale for the "surplus parts for a complete trailer" to the DMV inspection office. The guy came out and said "You built that?" and I replied that it was put together from surplus parts, and he was satisfied. He looked at the numbers I stamped on there, and said I was good to go. 30 minutes later I had the license plate and was told the title would come in the mail. Done.

Actually I was afraid I had done too crappy of a job on the numbers. They were deep enough alright, just not lined up very well. He thought they were fine.

Chuck

Thanks! After all that, I forgot about your great suggestion to get the lifetime plate! I guess I'll do that next year.

Btt. How much did you pay to get it registered? And does anyone else know about multi-year tags for car trailers?
The total was about $78, including $40 for the title, $8 or so for "use tax", and the rest for the plate.
Here it is, after some cleaning up:
awww.crgrissom.com_jeep_trailer1.jpg

awww.crgrissom.com_jeep_jeep_and_trailer1.jpg

Chuck

Back