Another JKUR story

I'd be looking at an ECGS or a Dynatrac housing. Not big on the Aluminum cover that come on the G2. Or just try and straighten and toss a truss, gussets, and sleeves at it.

There are more mods coming.

Potts was a lot of fun and, despite the damage, I really enjoyed the weekend. As @Jason W. and @josh$$ predicted, the tie rod and steering stabilizer were the first victims. Shortly thereafter, the PS bumper stanchion folded in a couple of inches. I got an education on the JK electronic stability system and we straightened the steering wheel out good enough to get home.

A couple items of concern: On the highway ride back, the transmission would sometimes downshift from 5th to 2nd and I’d instantly lose 15mph before I could get it to shift back up a couple of gears. This made for a dangerous situation on a couple of occasions and I’m lucky to have not been rear ended. I’m hoping this is related to the stability control thing and will correct itself once I get the steering fixed. My second theory is that it could be a similar calibration issue caused by the oversized tires. Although I didn’t have the issue previously (?). Maybe getting the control points reprogrammed via an AEV Procal will help with this (thanks again @josh$$ for the lead).

Secondly, I may have bent the front axle housing or Cs. My DS tire has 2-3 degrees more camber than the passenger side now. Will have to do some more checking with an angle finder to confirm.

Enough text, here are some pictures:

View attachment 319905
View attachment 319897
View attachment 319898

A few ‘mods’:
View attachment 319900
View attachment 319899
View attachment 319901
View attachment 319902
View attachment 319903

Damn, It did not look that bad when we got off the trail. I would say between that and tie rod was the cause of your driving issues on the way home.

As for a programmer, I am using this software package https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/supported-vehicles/jeep/jeep-wrangler/ it is $49 , you download it to your laptop and it allows you to do all kinds of stuff. Tire size, gear ratio, adjust/turn off TPMS, daytime head lights, tip start, key fob programming, fog lights and high beam on, adjust headlamp voltage, read/reset codes to name a few. Very happy with it. Great to meet you this weekend.

Damn, It did not look that bad when we got off the trail. I would say between that and tie rod was the cause of your driving issues on the way home.

As for a programmer, I am using this software package Jeep Wrangler – Appcar DiagFCA – diagnostic tool it is $49 , you download it to your laptop and it allows you to do all kinds of stuff. Tire size, gear ratio, adjust/turn off TPMS, daytime head lights, tip start, key fob programming, fog lights and high beam on, adjust headlamp voltage, read/reset codes to name a few. Very happy with it. Great to meet you this weekend.

It was great to meet you too! Thanks for the link!

I’m a couple months behind on posting...

There was a little bit of drama around the specific part number of axle housing I ordered. Without belaboring the issue too much, the company’s website from whom I ordered the ProRock44 housing was misleading and I ended up with a housing for an ARB rather than the factory Rubi locker. It didn’t seem that the company would get me the right housing so I needed to make this housing work.

Adam pulled a rabbit out of his hat and found where someone used off-the-shelf Timken bearings to install the larger-bearing Rubi locker in the smaller-bearing housing. For reference, I needed qty 2 of each:

Bearing JLM104948
Race LM104912

... and a pack of shims. Once these were in hand, Chris sent me gear pattern pics of the new Yukon 4.88’s and I walked around with a boner for a few days in anticipation of getting the Jeep back.

AAA32204-507C-46C1-B4A1-86DA1379C1D7.jpeg

I picked the Jeep up on a Wednesday night and broke in the gears on my journey to the Daniel Boone National Forest the next day by hitting up every brewery on the way. Highly recommend Sugar Hill Brewing Company if you happen to find yourself in St. Paul, VA.

6DB911E9-EA37-4F54-A883-E362D04F3B02.jpeg

1B65F299-F5BC-4D87-8273-A81F676F2E5A.jpeg

We rode the trails for a couple days and the Jeep did great. Only minor issue I found was that I need longer bump stops in the front because my raised stabilizer is hitting the frame at full stuff.

C47DB0A1-F0BA-48CC-B203-3030C6B98193.jpeg

99941265-36AD-4F3D-B24A-D3F3D9EE4E8B.jpeg

8DD2EECF-3EC6-48E3-8E2B-E612B0B0250E.jpeg

The first cut is always the hardest!

We’ve been enjoying the Jeep and I took it to the grocery store at least three times already.

I started getting death wobble on the highway, but checked the track bar last week and it seemed tight. We had another incident of DW today going across that shitastic 52 south bridge over Waughtown.

Obviously something was loose, so I pulled it in the garage and retorqued all the front suspension bolts. Turns out both upper link bolts and one sway bar bolt were loose. It was a good reminder that anytime you do suspension mods to retorque everything after a few hundred miles.

615397A6-327F-4E82-9A63-AE95321E1B8D.jpeg

I’m other news, I ordered up a set of 1” Teraflex coil spacers. The fronts came in, but apparently the rears are back ordered. I’m motivated to drive the Jeep everywhere just for increased tire wear so I can justify buying the 37’s. :bounce:

Back