Another...Help me decide on a car hauler thread

S4Cruiser

I've read a lot of the previous threads but still would like some feedback / thoughts.

I'm picking up a new car hauler and have narrowed it down to two manufacturers and some specs. Will be pulling a built FJ40 plus other random crap with my 2006 Duramax 2500.

Kaufman vs. Load Trail
(2) 5,200 lb axles
Wood deck, with dovetail

Still undecided on length and slide in vs. flip up ramps. I know I'd like something longer than what I had which was 16' flat with 2' dove. What's the consensus on 20' vs. 22'?

Both trailers are priced similarly. The Kaufman 20' in Deluxe trim is 3790 and the Load Trail is 3725. The Load Trail does not include 2" rub rail and the cross members are 24" oc vs 16" oc like the Kaufman. The Load Trail has Dexter Axles and I think the Kaufman is some special specific to them axle made by Lippert?? Kaufman has flip up ramps and Load Trail has slide in ramps (from the rear). Another option would be to go with drop axles which would be 3830 for the Load Trail (everything else the same).

I've owned both brands before in 16' carhauler varieties and each performed fine. The Load Trail 'might' have pulled better but not by a considerable amount.

I know a lot of folks on the board like Kaufman...if you were choosing b/w the two brand above, what would you choose and why?

No input on brand, but always go with the longer one being considered. I prefer slide in ramps so you don't have to worry about letting something hang over the back of the trailer, but slide in ramps on the rear of a dove tail can hang low and scrape. I have a 20ft, dove tail, with rear slide in ramps and they have scraped numerous times depending on angle of trailer and hills etc.

Like he said, either will be just fine in terms of build quality and will be more than enough for the cargo you're carrying on it. I rarely wish I had LESS trailer when I had a 24'. You never know what you'll need to haul one day. My vote would be for the 22'.
Slide in ramps are great and I have a set on my current trailer. But if you won't be hauling 2 rigs where the ramps may get in the way, I vote fold up ramps. I used mine as a guide when backing up. When my rig is on my trailer I can't see the corner edges in the rear when backing.

Long story short: Buy the one that the sales rep gives you the most freebies. Kaufman gave me hats, key chains and pens.

Here is another option...

I can get the 22' version load trail now (no waiting) for 3550 but it has a swing up tongue jack and stamped 'a' frame coupler.

The jack is easily changed. Is the stamped coupler a deal breaker?

I'm in the minority on one point, but I hate,hate,hate slide in ramps.

The times where fold up ramps cant be closed (rare) they can be strapped/chained up usually depending on build style.

But when I had a slide in ramp trailer it always seemed to cause problems.
Seemed harder to get a "just right" spot to keep the ramps from trying to come off.
As dumb as this sounds, seemed to always involve getting extra dirty when packing up from wheeling handling the ramps compared to flip ups, which didnt matter until you wanted to keep the tow pig nice.
Actually managed to leave a ramp behind one time because of a buddy.
Mine rattled like shit until I outfitted the holster with a liner of carpet...which then made them not want to slide in worth a damn.

I'm in the minority on one point, but I hate,hate,hate slide in ramps.

The times where fold up ramps cant be closed (rare) they can be strapped/chained up usually depending on build style.

But when I had a slide in ramp trailer it always seemed to cause problems.
Seemed harder to get a "just right" spot to keep the ramps from trying to come off.
As dumb as this sounds, seemed to always involve getting extra dirty when packing up from wheeling handling the ramps compared to flip ups, which didnt matter until you wanted to keep the tow pig nice.
Actually managed to leave a ramp behind one time because of a buddy.
Mine rattled like shit until I outfitted the holster with a liner of carpet...which then made them not want to slide in worth a damn.
Im with Ron on the ramps. Ive not had an issue with fold up ramps yet, but if I did its a simple clip then slide the hinge tube out, and strap them to the trailer or throw them in the truck bed if needed. My old trailer had slide in ramps and I hated it. Its much nicer to me to let them drop down without having to pull them out and hook them up, plus the fold down ramps usually have feet that keep the trailer tongue from lifting as you load it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

My Kaufman trailer is a 16 ft with dovetail and slide in ramps. I never use the ramps. My Samurai on 34" tires could drive up on it in 4wd.

My Kaufman trailer is a 16 ft with dovetail and slide in ramps. I never use the ramps. My Samurai on 34" tires could drive up on it in 4wd.

That's the way I've done it in the past. The dove tails I've had before were pretty low but would drag. The dove on the load trails I've been looking at are higher. Plus is not dragging but might have to use ramps. My rig is on 37s so maybe not still. First world problems...I know.

I had slide in ramps and now have fold up ramps...

I prefer the fold up ramps. With them, I can see the back of the trailer when I back up with it empty. It helps a lot.

Slide in ramps added some versatility but were a little cumbersome. Also, they scrape if they are rear slide in. Also, if you hang off the back some you may not be able to actually get your ramps in or out since tires may interfere, I had this happen before. You could loose a ramp. I had one halfway out on the interstate once an I saw a pic recently where someone lost a slide in at the gate of AOAA or some other regional off road park.

Pretty sure my old one was 20'. @farmboy can probably confirm. It had fold up ramps and were great. Like others have said it makes backing the trailer easier. The one I use now has slide in ramps and it sucks. Scrapes everywhere and can't see it for shit.

Appreciate all the perspectives. Picked this guy up earlier today, $3,700...20' flat with 2' dove. (2) 5,200 Dexter axles, removable fenders. Trailer weighs ~3,000 lbs per the tag. Pulls nice but unloaded it is more noticable behind me vs my 18' 7k lb trailer. Not so much from a weight perspective but bounce. Need to make sure the coupler is adjusted appropriately. Should get a chance to test it out loaded in a couple weeks once my truck is ready for exhaust work.

I like fold up ramps for backing. I had a trailer with slide in ramps on the side. I liked it mostly, other then lugging heavy ramps around the back but that's not any different that lifting heavy foldups. I've thought rear slide-ins that are "in" the deck might be nice. Mine were pinned in, so didn't take loud enough to notice. If it was just for hauling an off-road rig, I'd do slide-in as I never used them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Appreciate all the perspectives. Picked this guy up earlier today, $3,700...20' flat with 2' dove. (2) 5,200 Dexter axles, removable fenders. Trailer weighs ~3,000 lbs per the tag. Pulls nice but unloaded it is more noticable behind me vs my 18' 7k lb trailer. Not so much from a weight perspective but bounce. Need to make sure the coupler is adjusted appropriately. Should get a chance to test it out loaded in a couple weeks once my truck is ready for exhaust work.

That's a nice trailer. Thinking about getting a similar size soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I prefer slide in ramps. Off road toys don't need ramps so fold up ones are just one more thing to deal with!

Nice trailer though!

It's definitely a trade off. I looked at it this way...if they get in the way then I'll remove them. If my rig will (which it should) be able to crawl up without ramps then I might remove them and not have to worry with dragging on the slide in ramp cubbies. If I was getting a shorter trailer (16 or 18 footer) then I would not have even considered ramps. The extra length on this one should decrease the risk the ramps are in the way.

I could totally be wrong...ill find out soon enough!

Edit...with the spring assists on these ramps...it's so fucking effortless to fold them down/up.

Back