An idea I had about the trail/trail markers.

Tech11

In talking to Janet this weekend during the work day she mentioned people getting out on the trails, getting hurt/injured, calling for help, and not knowing where they are.

They either get turned around, or are just blindly riding trails not really knowing where they are. Then something happens and when asked where they are they respond with they don't know, or it's in a place with some pointy rocks.:confused:

I was thinking about the possibility of using a label maker and marking the trail markers with GPS coordinates.

Of course this would take time to get all around the trails, but I think it could really help out in a time when help is needed quickly.

OR if someone was wheeling alone and broke down they could give the coords if they weren't sure where they were.

I know the people who have been at URE for ages can drive the place in their sleep, but I know there are a lot of new people also, and I think any bit of help out there couldn't hurt.

Label makers that can do two lines are between 17 and 35 dollars. The tapes/labels cost around 10 dollars. I was thinking of yellow with black text.

I'm thinking of getting one but wanted some feedback first.

If it IS a good idea maybe we could round a few up and use them on the work days. It'd take a few extra minutes to punch the GPS coords in the label maker and stick the label on the marker. It's probably take longer to peel the backing off that anything else.

Or has this been tried before?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Maybe just some drawn arrows on the markets, pointing in a CCW direction as they would correspond to most maps. Then possible a .10 mile marker as needed... with cords. at those points. Good idea thought... I've been there at night and gotten disoriented a time or 2..

i back the idea of GPS coordinates. half the time i only have a general idea of where im at and could never begin to tell somone how to get to me.

Yeah, not every marker but I was thinking a set distance. I think most fire hydrants are .10 so that would be doable.

Good idea. The logistics of GPS coords could be kind of tricky. I think it would be easier to mark it off in 0.1 increments, maybe add the trail name too. In case of emergency, almost anyone can find the marker and say Daniel 3.6 for example, and emergency personnel would know exactly where that was, which parking lot to come from, etc.
The problem I see with relying on GPS coords would be if the person in distress actual knew how to read them and successfully relay the information. One digit missing/wrong, the information becomes useless.

That's why I posted this. Trying to figure out something that can help people get help when needed.

If we can work out the most helpful info it should be no problem for us to get it up and going.

I agree w/ Ranegade on the mile marker idea, easier to say Daniel 3.6, and anyone can find you and know how far in you are ...with X n Y you need a GPS to find someone, and a map to know how far in they are.
Steve

So do the markers like mile markers on the highway? We can do that with the markers as is.

DANIEL

96A
DICKEY BELL

We just need to figure where the start is. The BIG diamond trail head markers?

I'm in favor of the tenth mile markers with the trail name. That would give you a good idea of how much more trail is left, where obstacles are, etc, as well as all the safety and emergency reasons.

yeah now that yall mention it mile markers seem way better. for example: your wheeling alone and you roll your rig. your banged up pretty bad and cant walk, but you cant still get your cell (if you even have signal, i rarley do) or you can use the CB if you have one. you may not be able to get to the marker but you might be able to let someone know the last one you seen and which way you were heading, as to if you were counting up or down.
maybe put GPS coordinates at the begining and end of each trail.
id love to see this systems go into effect, it would be helpful in so many ways other than emergencys too.

Mile markers are good for people to track where they are at on the trail. Without a good map marked with said markers emergency services are still just guessing how far in you are at this point. The thing about a GPS is it's universal for everyone. Every helicopter pilot can pinpoint you with a GPS police and fire can track your exact position look on a map and decide on the way there what is needed do to the terrain you are in. I always carry one at all times because you never know and you can use it to walk out the shortest route if you had to as well. I would love to see the trail name and mile marker system to go into effect. But I also think every 100 meters or so slap up a GPS sign because it can't hurt anyone it can only help.

Another for the mile markers. GPS coords would be difficult to relay and then the emergency personnel would have to have GPS on-board. The mile markers would be much easier. In my opinion, these mile markers should be large and very visible. Perhaps each club that sponsors a trail could help mark them off and then the FS/FOU will install the new signs/markers.

Are we talking an additional marker on the trails or still a label on the current markers?

I am all for this. I am still learning my way around URE, and this would really help me put my map and the trail together (i.e. Kodak rock is at mile marker X.X on Rocky Mountain Loop).

I've got a package of small diamonds. I'll look at em tonight and see what I can find out from that company.

I'm guessing for the "mile markers" we need to do another color besides orange?

I guess a high visibility like white or yellow, and maybe rectangle.

Handwritten sharpie for info or some sort of decal/sticker?

Label it like the interstate system too. Such as .1-x.x from Daniel trailhead to RML and x.x to .1 from RML to daniel and put a marker on both sides of the same tree or what ever so anyone going either way will know where they are and the points will be the same so if someone says im flipped/hurt on Daniel at x.x it will be the same place from either direction.

Maybe print a map up with some basic markers like the beginning/end of a trail and main points of intrest like daniel hillclimb, etc and post it at the outpost and possibly give a copy to whoever the first responders would be in an emergency (such as Uwharrie VFD, etc).

maybe everyone should just carry cyanide. :D

Bacon cyanide?

I was really just brainstormin'. It made me think when they said they rolled their 4wheeler or whatever and had NO CLUE where they were.

I think most of us have sense enough to wheel in groups, and carry basic first aid stuff, but there are the OTHER people who could get out there get hurt then want to shut the whole pace down because it took too long to find their lost and busted up ass...or lost a leg because they said they were on daniel when they were on wolfs den.

This was the reasoning behind the orange diamonds with the trail number on them.

I like the idea of an addition of a mile marker. Question is what is the best way to measure it?

I have not seen every trail even labeled like this IIRC.

I think there is room for a 1.1, 1.2. etc beneath the trail number. Well maybe not just checked out the picture.. they did give us larger diamonds for the trail numbers.. even though they faded pretty quick. The number could be re-written and the mile marker added.. or added to the smaller diamond.. or completely replaced by another.

either way check out that bangin' handwriting.. :D
awww.cfsjc.com_CFSJC_Photos_and_Videos_Pages_Workday_7_18_09_files_Media_IMG_7179_IMG_7179.jpg

There's what, 16 miles of trail at UNF? So, markers at 1/10 intervals, that's 160 of them. One on each side of a tree/post, from each direction, and that gives you 320 markers needed, total.

Just thinking big here -- we have a lot of resources at NC4x4.com -- someone with a sheet metal brake/stomp shear could pop out a slew of maybe 4x6 040 aluminum sign blanks. Take maybe 1.5 sheets to do that.

Then, we got a couple of vinyl lettering guys (not volunteering anybody btw), that could help come up with lettering, in batches for each trail (say on each USFS, Uwharrie NF, xxxxx Trail ###, Milemarker __.__)

And I'm sure we'd have a slew of volunteers to help with the shearing, drilling, vinyl application, etc.

Just a thought....good, professional looking, relatively cheap. Then again, if they look too good, folks would steal them for souvenirs. :(

I'd pitch in some $$ for this.

There's what, 16 miles of trail at UNF? So, markers at 1/10 intervals, that's 160 of them. One on each side of a tree/post, from each direction, and that gives you 320 markers needed, total.

Just thinking big here -- we have a lot of resources at NC4x4.com -- someone with a sheet metal brake/stomp shear could pop out a slew of maybe 4x6 040 aluminum sign blanks. Take maybe 1.5 sheets to do that.

Then, we got a couple of vinyl lettering guys (not volunteering anybody btw), that could help come up with lettering, in batches for each trail (say on each USFS, Uwharrie NF, xxxxx Trail ###, Milemarker __.__)

And I'm sure we'd have a slew of volunteers to help with the shearing, drilling, vinyl application, etc.

Just a thought....good, professional looking, relatively cheap. Then again, if they look too good, folks would steal them for souvenirs. :(

I'd pitch in some $$ for this.

Suggestion.

Find a sheetmetal stamping operation. They would probably have barrels full of some particular shapes and sizes of steel or aluminum drops

If someone took the time to draw it up, it probably wouldn't be that expensive to get it all laser cut. Problem is they would be too cool and would get stolen.

Well that's certainly discouraging.

I'm think it will just have to be a "Enter at your own risk, MAYBE some good Samaritans will be around to help you not die".

But that also is a sign that would probably get stolen.

After all the answers to the different questions in this section, I've figured out that the best thing any of us can do is to volunteer, however we can, and do what we can to help keep the trails open.

Back