Aluminum wheel ?

awheelterd

Backstory... 2005 Polaris 330 magnum (automatic)

While I was working in the yard Saturday my wife decides to take our son riding on the atv so I could mow grass uninterrupted. Cool, the kid is 2 and wants to ride the mower w me but it's hard to steer around all the trees in the yard with so much "help". She gets the atv out of the barn and away they go. She comes back a few mins later and says something is wrong, that the rear end seems to be dragging. I look and she has forgotten to take the handbrake off :facepalm: In her defense though, it's easier when puttering around the yard to just use the foot brake while holding the kid with your left arm.

They take off again, no problem. A few minutes later she calls me and says that she thinks the rear axle is broken, that the ds rear wheel is wobbling. Wtf?! She limps it back into the yard as she's telling me this on the phone. I look the atv over and luckily the axle isn't broken (I could not figure out how that would even happen just poking around the yard when she told me this). Apparently whilst dragging the rear brake (one brake on rear ds) the wheel/studs/and lug nuts got super hot and 3 of the 4 lugnut's backed off :eek: ! It was being held on by the one little stud that could. Oh well, I ordered new studs and lug nuts. My problem is that while riding it back on 1 stud, the other 3 wallowed out the holes in the wheel, slightly egg shaping them. Not a tremendous amout, but egg shaped none the less. Personally I think that with new studs and lug nuts it will be fine, it's not a racing atv that goes 70mph, but I was wondering what everyone else's oponion is.

Full disclosure.... I replaced the rear caliper 2 weeks ago and hadn't retorqued the lugnut's yet, my bad.

Tia

New lugs and it'll be fine. It's a Polaris, so something major will break soon anyway.

New lugs and it'll be fine. It's a Polaris, so something major will break soon anyway.

Knock on wood I've always had good luck with these 330 magnums. Dad bought us one new in 04 and I beat the dog shut out of it in and after highschool. Only problem I ever had with it was when I drove through a cutover and got green briars wrapped around the cv boots. Tore them all up and got mud and dirt in the cvs. That wasn't a cheap fix. I bought this 05 2 yrs ago and haven't had any trouble with it other than a sticky brake caliper.

If it bothers you, just replace it. A new wheel would only be about $50.

Put new studs and lugnut's on yesterday. All seems well. I locked'em down with a few good ugga-ugga's with the impact. All seems well

Just realized I said "all seems well" twice in the previous post... Darn you natty light :beer::lol:

Back