All this POP-up talk

CasterTroy

Faster'N You
Didn't someone put a pop-up on a gooseneck? (was it @BRUISER before the BUS?) Did anyone else do it as well? Pro's? Con's?

Semi-seriously looking at getting a 21ft car hauler and a 8ft pop-up to mount sideways in front of the Jeep.

I WOULD do the whole enclosed thing like @shawn and Cyd but I can hide a car hauler and pop-up combo from the HOA Nazi's down in the woods behind the house....an enclosed, not so much.

Last edited:
Do it wish I did. Instead I got a 37 foot box I can only sleep in...oh and keep the wife happy.

Oh if I were to even TRY to keep princess happy, I'd be looking at 40ft bus chassis Prevost based "campers" to tow the Jeep with. Sadly my beer bottle budget can only satisfy my desire to not sleep on the ground....not her desire to sleep with heated marble floors and Corian countertops with molded in sink :D

aimages.tapatalk_cdn.com_16_03_17_50e7aac445494e68060081957e26c417.jpg

I went through lots of options about this time last year I thought about toy haulers and enclosed and popup and trailer this was what works best for me and was the most affordable due to the fact I already had the trailer I really wanted a toy hauler but thank God several people on here talked me out of buying one I just didn't have the budget or truck to get what I would really need this thing allows me to go and camp In comford alot of places I could not go with the trailer

Yeah when James posted a pic of his last year I really contemplated one just like it (yours) but my problem is where can I put it when not on the truck. What I have now is a nice little hidden dip in the ground behind my house in the woods. Just big enough for a 21ft trailer, and low enough to not be seen from the cul-de-sac. The slide-in would need to go down there too, and I'm not sure I have the level ground to put BOTH. If I only had somewhere to store the slide-in THAT would be ideal

Yeah when James posted a pic of his last year I really contemplated one just like it (yours) but my problem is where can I put it when not on the truck. What I have now is a nice little hidden dip in the ground behind my house in the woods. Just big enough for a 21ft trailer, and low enough to not be seen from the cul-de-sac. The slide-in would need to go down there too, and I'm not sure I have the level ground to put BOTH. If I only had somewhere to store the slide-in THAT would be ideal
Sounds like you need to move :p

Sounds like you need to move.

Because THAT's a cheaper solution! Sheesh.....I figured your frugal ass would would be the LAST to suggest moving as an option

:flipoff2:

shawn.jpg

I use to fight my hoa all time I gave up and keep my car trailer camper and boat in a storage lot a buddy has 3 miles from my house I'm going to move but that's not really an option right now

I'm going to move but that's not really an option right now

We're in a future corridor expansion (HWY 109 bypass that will NEVER be built) so disclosure has scared everyone off from buying anything on our street. We're pretty screwed as far as "moving" goes.

Ironically NOT the first time it's happened to me. I was in the northern beltway ROW back in the 90's for 74 around Winston. I fought weekly for 10yrs and was finally bought out in 2008. I moved into this neighborhood 10 miles from any hiway, and damned if they aren't rerouting HWY 109 around Wallburg straight thru my front yard (supposedly by 2020)

Wait...are you talking to ME, or to that Jeep of yours that hasn't moved in .....__ years :D
Hey, it moved 5ft up the lift this weekend. Had to raise it up to park some other junk under it :flipoff2:

Lankford I think looked at putting a popup on his trailer but didn't for some reason. Think it was because he found a deal on a slide-in. If I were you I'd find a side-in since you just got that trailer. Also be sure to paint the camper black to match the truck.

Ironically NOT the first time it's happened to me. I was in the northern beltway ROW back in the 90's for 74 around Winston. I fought weekly for 10yrs and was finally bought out in 2008. I moved into this neighborhood 10 miles from any hiway, and damned if they aren't rerouting HWY 109 around Wallburg straight thru my front yard (supposedly by 2020)
Hell, I didn't realize they had proposed that. Of course, I don't live in Wallburg or read the news, so it shouldn't be a shock.

Initially there were 6 proposed routes. We were in ONE of them. We found out about it on the day we closed on our house. One of the 3000 sheets of paper you sign. 5yrs later guess which route they chose :rolleyes:

I put a slide in camper on a trailer not a popup.. I considered it but I like being able to park and walk into a camper all setup and did not like the idea of having to set up the popup in bad weather or put it away when wet because when you get home you have to set it back up and let it dry or it will grow mold.

when you get home you have to set it back up and let it dry or it will grow mold.

This....is why I started this thread!

I'm pretty talked into a slide-in for the truck when the budget allows. It's been a while since I threw my leg over the dirtbike (wheels turning) anyway.....hmm

@amcjeepman @karatejosh what's a good ballpark budget to shoot for on something like what you guys have? (used..can't afford new)

Bed campers can run from 500 to 40000. I just you start searching CL and be willing to drive and go see a few. I got mine from a club member so I was lucky. But with spring around the corner they will start coming up forsale.

Look at both a slide in and a pop up slide in. The regular slide in is usually more money but you don't have to set them up when you get somewhere. Have cash ready to go if there is a good deal on one cause it won't last long if it is in good shape. Check the corners where to jacks are they tend to pull threw if they are used alot or someone couldn't drive and backed into them.

I bought mine from a dealer for 2500 I just happened to be there when another guy traded it in and grabbed it quick it's a 2004 I was there looking at the new ones with the wife in hopes she would camp more but was not willing to wager 15k on that and this kind da fell into my lap

I bought mine from a dealer for 2500 I just happened to be there when another guy traded it in and grabbed it quick it's a 2004 I was there looking at the new ones with the wife in hopes she would camp more but was not willing to wager 15k on that and this kind da fell into my lap
I'm with you on the news ones I looked at some really nice basic slide ins new. And when I mean basic no shower or bathroom able to go in an 8ft bed without it hanging over the bed at all. And there sticker price was almost 20,000 [emoji33]

Back