Airlift bags... Do they allow for articulation?

Clubbs

I just ordered an airlift 5000 bag kit for my 2500 ram. My neighbor says he's ripped his out a few times when he crosses a ditch and flexes the suspension. I often bind mine up too. Should I expect to shred these things unless I put limit straps on? Anyone have any experience with this?

I have a set on my 3500 dually and when it is on the lift the suspension droop is right at the very max I would let them go before I would be worried. The first time I put it on the lift I used ratchet straps from the receiver hitch under the axle and up to the frame by the front leaf spring hangers. I slowly let them loose to see how far it would go. I’m not sure if it’s the shocks or the springs that limit droop on mine but any extra push from “off-road” would possibly push (pull) them past their limit.

I have installed a few. None manufactured as a bladder style are remotely close to cycling through full suspension design repetitively. All of them are designed to operate in a "loaded sweet spot". This is the only way for most of the kits to be packaged and achieve the loaded ride quality and travel limitations. If unloaded completely say by lifting the truck for maintenance most set ups I've seen are very stretched.

Last edited:
I've had a set of Firestones for about 8 years. I run them complete empty when the truck is empty. I could see the possibility of tearing them in an articulation situation, but I'd think you'd pinch them on the compression side before you'd pull them on the droop side. That's why they say to run 5psi in the bags at all times.

I have carli bags on my 2500 ram and while they won’t cycle the full range they will give enough to do most things. They have 1 bolt top and bottom so I usually just ride around with them in the cab and put them in to haul.

I think they make an airbag cradle that give firestone bags a few more inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DSC_4230.JPG

Pulled this little wagon full stuff 100 miles north. Put the bags in last night around mid night and was glad to have them today. I've pulled heavier, but this is probably the highest cg load I've pulled with the 2500. Pic is with the airlift 5000's at nearly max pressure. Bags did great, brackets that come with the kit are pretty light weight flimsy stuff, but I guess that's how they keep the price down. It's all in compression anyway I guess.

Back