Aftermarket XJ bumper weld issues? Opinions please!

simpleman01

Bought a new rear bumper for my XJ from a reputable vendor/fab shop. Primed it with white clean metal primer and some weld issues became glaringly obvious. Cracks in pics are where the bumper 'body' connects to the horizontal mounts which would bolt to the Jeep. Also, most of the bends only have small stitch welds at the joints. I'm not a welder but would appreciate feedback from those of you who are. I've got concerns about the structural integrity and question using the d-ring tabs.

I just reached out to the vendor and will update when I hear back.

1000000241.jpg
1000000239.jpg
1000000249.jpg
1000000247.jpg
1000000246.jpg
1000000243.jpg

Yep, get your money back. That's referred to as "cold Lap". the welding machine was not set up correctly.

Yep, that's a problem.

Yep, get your money back. That's referred to as "cold Lap". the welding machine was not set up correctly.
Don't blame the machine....more the user. Short circuit mig and no talent.

So I emailed the company on Saturday night. Mid-morning Monday I get a short message saying they would be sending me a new bumper. Can't complain about that! I'll post the company name once new bumper arrives to kinda wrap up this ordeal. Too bad I wasted a day prepping/painting subpar product. Will definitely inspect the next one closer before paint.

Back