Adjustable BJ extensions for IFS toyotas

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
This is pretty interesting, thought I'd pass it along for the sake of discussion.

This is a new design for ball joints for IFS Toyotas at least through 95 that provide a better version of the classic cheap spacer while also fixing many of the problems associated with adding the spacer.
First off... yes I know many folks say "just cut all that IFS crap off and SAS it", this is not intended for those folks, but for people that don't want to take that level of plunge yet, aren't looking for a big lift, etc.

With the older IFS toys a big problem is that there is no independent manner to adjust camber and caster... all you have is the cam bolts on the frame. And once you've been beating on it awhile, things get twisted and bent and often you can't adjust them properly anymore. I have this problem on my '89 4Runner, it
s pretty much permanently tweaked after the ECORS days. Adding BJ spacers to net a little lift makes the camber even worse. Adjusting the camber to account for that spacer pushing the top in also screws with te caster and there is no good happy medium anymore.

What these do is at the top, allow to slide it in and out to adjust camber angle, or even rotate it around to get caster. So if your frme cam bolts can't move or adjust properly (on mine, one part of the frame mount ios so bent in that there isn't room for the cam to rotate) you can compensate at the wheel hub instead. And, if you also ise their lower BJ mounts, it moves the whole hub forward. This centers the tire better and decreases rub on the back where it tends to hit the fender well.
I suspect another big advantage is that by pulling the whole thing forward, at lock you won't have the problem of the steering arms rubbbing the frame (a big issue if you have switched to straight tube sleeve tie rods like me)
Now it dosn't fix the big issue with BJ spacers on these rigs, where if you use it to net lift (keep the t-bars cranked) it sets the CVs at at awkward angle andi ncreasest he chance of breakage. I personally destroyed many until I finaly wised up and ditched the BJs and just lived with the lift gained from an LT conversion).
However what it DOES buy you is that you can back off the T-bar cranking a bit and gain more flexiness at the same ride hieght because you're not hitting the bump stops anymore.

I know there aren't many older-gen IFS Toy guys here anymore but I'm curious about opinions. I have the Blazeland LT on mine now, and I'm halfway tempted to try adding this as a way to recenter it, help with alignment and net a small amount more (if I could gain an inch that would be great) [snicker snicker].

EDIT - yes its pricy. Also keep in mind Aus $$ is about 73 cents right now. Not something you'd likely do as a temp step if you're gonna SAS anyway.

Back