Add a leaf, air bags, or both?

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
I picked up a slide in camper for my truck bed. The rear sags more than i would like and the left and right sway is a little more than I would like. So what do you recomend? Add a leaf, air bags, or what?

I'm on my phone so no linky but look into SuperSprings. We put a set on a new F150 with a big heavy dump box inside the bed and it made a world of difference.

You don't say what truck, but bags are in my opinion all around better. Generally same price and easier to install as well.

It is a 96 Dodge 2500

Bags.

I got the Firestones from that camper place in TN.... adventurerv.net, I think.

Could probably look for an extra pair of rear tires while you're shopping, too.

Would upgrading the rear leaf packs be an option as well? Meaning instead of adding a leaf, just going with a whole new pack that is rated higher? This truck has been used its entire life so I am wondering if the leaves are worn out a little

Then buy some good leaves and some bags and do it all at once. OR just do the bags and see how you feel about it after that. All dodge leaf springs have seemed on the soft side to me.

I'd just put bags on it. Takes a couple hours to install, fixes any and all spring-related problems you might have.

You can always replace the rear packs with a heavier rate set, but it costs a bunch of money, and it's a PITA to do.

@BigClay if you're looking for a really good solution, get a 4 link air suspension:
Kelderman

I'd just put bags on it. Takes a couple hours to install, fixes any and all spring-related problems you might have
Hmm.. that's going to fix the wear already present and the spring wrap from the extra inertia?, Prevent cracked leaves from breaking?
You can always replace the rear packs with a heavier rate set, but it costs a bunch of money, and it's a PITA to do.
I wouldn't say a bunch of money..a good New stock set will make a difference.. but a HD set is better tho, since it's going to be stiffer.. of also, springs provide the lateral stability of the truck on the axle.. if you break a spring, your SOL. It's not a pain to change.. drop the shocks, tires off, Jack stand frame, pull u & eye bolts.. remove spring..

I'd look in the mirror and see if it wasn't the tires causing the sway though..

Bags, on a side note I bet that's one slow tow now.

Now you're just trying to spend other people's money...
Yes and no. If you're replacing springs/shocks/bushings/etc and adding airbags and a compressor system, the price really can add up. Most of that gets replaced with the Kelderman kit anyway, plus its and opportunity to upgrade to a much better suspension design.

Kelderman

Just that word carries a $2500 cover charge.....much like "Target" and their damn $200 entry fee (have YOU ever left a Target with a woman and not spent $200+?)

claybag.JPG

In a perfect world though, it would be the way to go (if you could justify spending that much)

Back