AAA, Good Sam, etc...

Screw CW! My worst experience in any kind of dealership was CW. Parts, service, and sales all suck.

^^^^ he gets it.

I tried to get a water pump for my RV. Had GPM, size, etc. Parts guy was no help. I got tired of waiting and walked over to the shelf and just picked one out that matched. They turned a 3 minute process into an hour long process.

I thought I had replied with this info earlier in the thread but it looks like I got so focused on bashing AAA I lost tack of actually providing some helpful info.

I use FMCA. They cover my RV and ANY other vehicle I own, rent, or borrow, including trailers. Even trailers not towed behind the RV. Even trailers pulled by the wife’s Yukon with plywood that breakdowns coming home from Lowe’s or whatever. One policy covers me, my wife, and kids that are dependents up to 25years old.

Here is a good link that discusses some of the benefits and includes typical hypothetical situations that we all experience and whether or not it’s covered.

scroll down to Week 5, FMCA Roadside Rescue video.
FMCA's Digital Convention • FMCAdventure

A long tow is not cheap. Two years ago we went to Harlan. I was driving my 05 Cummins and hauling my WJ on a trailer. Probably around 17k gross. Broke a ring coming into Harlan on the truck, dropped a cylinder and it went to smoking bad. Might have been able to drive it home but did not want to make it worse or hole a block. Wanted to make sure I could at least rebuild it which I did.

Stupid me then broke an axle on the WJ wheeling. All though I doubt I would have drove it back to NC anyway it would have been a long, slow drive in the WJ. I ended up getting a tow back to NC. He actually hooked to the front of the truck and pulled it and the trailer with my WJ loaded all the way back to Durham, was about $1300 if I recall correctly.

Very few insurance companies would have covered that if any. They would only have covered getting it towed to the local service shop. Would have cost me a lot more to have the engine rebuilt in KY since I did all the labor on it when I rebuilt it.

Holy crap, that motor woild have been rebuilt on the side of the road before a tow company got 1300 bucks from me. Can buy a lot of sweet mods for the rig for that. Hell, i would have freggin strap towed it all the way for that. Even if it took 2 day, it would be equivalent to more than double my daily income lol.

Bringing this back to the top.I recently had to use my AAA.Truck shit the bed in VA w a trailer behind it and had to have it hauled in.I had not used any of my tows prior to this.I have/had three 100 mile tows or one 200 mile tow.I also had the RV coverage w covered the trailer for a 100 mile tow.We were 374 miles from home so I had to pay for 174 miles of the tow bill on the truck, Roughly $700 and AAA paid the rest.Since they would only pay for a 100 mile tow on the trailer we would have been on the hook for the other 274 miles (roughly $1100).We were able to get the trailer home w my sons truck even though I wasnt crazy about putting a loaded trailer behind a 4L60E w a 180K on it. They (AAA) took care of all the arrangements over the phone and was even able to give me a quote before the serviced was provided.Overall I was pretty well satisified w their ins.

Back