A Consideration

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
I know many on here are aware of some of the big ideas I and some others have for our involvement in the Uwharrie National Forest OHV System. This and a couple other things considered I wanted to present the big picture I have been peicing together.

The best way to think of the OHV Trail System is as an investment program. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. If you pay your $5 a day or $30 a year you get some where to wheel, and enjoy. Which is the very basic level of involvement. Then lets say you start getting involved with the work days, so you are stepping up your involvement in the OHV system. This past work day was a perfect example.

All the attendees of the last work day got a sneak peak at some good information on the new trail going in down near Falls Dam. This was information some people in the volunteer circles knew about back in March, and earlier this summer we were allowed to release a little bit more information concerning it. But at this last work day, the group got to find out a large chunk of information, ask questions, and get some might call an inside scoop on what is going on in the OHV Trail System.

This is just a small thing, but there are people out riding the trails that have no idea there is a new trail opening up. Let alone where, how far along it is, how many miles of trail we will be gaining, and what to expect etc. The group was also given more details on the Saw Mill re-route and how much trail we will be loosing/gaining, and the future work on Rocky Mnt Loop, Falls Dam, and the bridge for the Dickey Bell Connector. A lot of information that again was known in the smaller circles but was not public information.

Then you have trail inventory, which is riding the trails with the FS and seeing what needs to be addressed. This gives you a chance to get your input on the trail obstacles etc voiced, and what concerns/issues you have. Terry Savery rode with me on Daniel a couple months back, and what we talked about/discussed has been implemented throughout these past work days out on Daniel.

We are lucky to be involved with the Forest Service during a time of change for the OHV System. The more involved we get, the more we will get out of the OHV System. And the easiest way to get your voice heard, and to get in on what is going on in the OHV System is the first step. Showing up for the work days.

Its going to be a step by step process and we all ready have the ball rolling. But lets keep it rolling, and keep pushing forward. There are no small parts in this effort, what ever you can do to help is greatly appreciated. If you can't show up for work days but can donate the use of tools, or funds, it will be a great help. Anything and everything big or small will help keep the ball rolling.

What the OHV System turns into during the upcoming years of trail re-routes, new/re-opened trails, etc will be greatly impacted by the level of involvement we show on our end. In the end its up to every individual on here. Do you just want to ride the trails and sit by and watch, or get invovled and have an impact in what happens to the trails?

Back