99 larado

Rdeang

Ok will a transfer case from a 99 larado work in a 95 cherokee also is the 4.0 in the 99 better then the 2001 because I can get the whole larado for real cheep it runs just no title I will probably switch the seats and all the other stuff I can switch

It will bolt up but it most likely an NP241 or 242 which means linkage will be different and it will have part time 4x4.

Not a very desirable case. Since it doesn’t have much aftermarket support.

99 what? Laredo is a package/trim level. They made Cherokee Laredo, Grand Cherokee Laredo. Best way to tell is by the tag on the case. I've got a np231 from a 97 Jeep Cherokee, which will probably be what you need for the 95 Cherokee.

I just assumed you meant a Grand Cherokee Laredo. As he said above, within the Cherokee line there is the Sport, Country, Laredo, Classic, Etc.

All that is are different styles and options. The drive train is the same for the most part other than the 4 banger 2.5L engine which had its own trans and transfer case.

Finding an affordable NP231 is very easy.

99 what? Laredo is a package/trim level. They made Cherokee Laredo, Grand Cherokee Laredo. Best way to tell is by the tag on the case. I've got a np231 from a 97 Jeep Cherokee, which will probably be what you need for the 95 Cherokee.
Grand Cherokee sorry

Best way to tell is by the tag on the case
it's a round tag and will say what the case model and ratio are. That will tell you if it's the same unit. You can change them between vehicles, it will bolt up, but there are input shaft differences (length, spline count) and also, if it's a full time case, the front output will be setup to attach to a CV joint as opposed to a double cardan joint. You can change from a np231->np242 straight forward, and gives you a 4 high full time option, but there aren't any real "upgrades" for the 242, like slip yoke eliminator kit, or 4:1 gear upgrade.

Here is where the tag is located next to the rear yoke. And a close up of the tag. It has the case model at the top. This is a np231, then the ratio is at the bottom of the tag.
dc51e62a667d54d7b8bd13c4820f6480.jpg
332fc4ba53a2440568c7f36b54e2bed5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It will bolt in. But the WJ case will have a different rear output shaft than the XJ. Plus, no provision for VSS
Short answer- keep looking for a 91-95 XJ case or a 90-95 YJ case from a 4.0

Back